Sign in to follow this  
Serged

Remove Kill messages in chat

I would suggest to get rid of the kill messages.

They give away too much information when in a firefight.

If for example your group is in a shootout with 2 other guys, who are camping in a building and you kill one of them, even though you didn't see one of them die, it will pop up in chat. Now you know there is only 1 guy left in the building. Or if you killed both, but didn't see them die, for example, you now know the building is clear now. Very worthy information which you should not get so easy as it is atm. Also it takes away from suspense.

This is particularly bad on servers with nametags on.

Sry if this has been proposed before :)

What do you people think of this?

You could just monitor your kill count' date=' should that be disabled too?

[/quote']

Ye this is true. Didn't think about that :)

Well yes maybe that should be disabled too. Or they should introduce a high latency before the counter changes.

Actually I don't know if this info box is planned to stay at the final release. I think it's called debug info or something along those lines ... so it might be removed at some point anyway.

You could just monitor your kill count' date=' should that be disabled too?

[/quote']

Of course it should be disabled. There is no reason to have it.

No reason to have it, and yea it does gives alot of info.

I really don't care tho i usually laugh when a guy braging about his Mega Sniper gets killed a few minutes after he says his position in side channel.

No reason to have it' date=' and yea it does gives alot of info.

I really don't care tho i usually laugh when a guy braging about his Mega Sniper gets killed a few minutes after he says his position in side channel.

[/quote']

Ye I also must laugh a little when people talk in side chat about where they are and ask "friendly?" and a little later the "xyz was killed" pops up.

Yeah you should have to confirm your kills. You shoot someone, he goes down. Maybe you missed? Now he knows where you are. Snipers should also have doubts and fears.

This is a fantastic idea. It's actually one of the things that drew me to games like Red Orchestra, where kill notifications are significantly delayed. A sniper sitting in the woods shoots a guy and then all is quiet. Well, he now has two choices. Go down and check it out, or keep waiting. Does he go for the gear, risking a surprise attack by an enemy that has had time to reposition and possibly reinforce? Prime example of addition by subtraction. Obviously it is not limited to snipers- anybody in conflict will deal with it.

Guns and equipment are not the most dangerous items in this game. The most dangerous weapon is information.

It would make shooting people from far off a much harder decision.

Definitely support this. +1

Kill messages are the least of my worries, people are getting killed all the time, mainly because they respawn since they dont like the current spawn point i suppose.

with that comes is that i dont know who i killed since i don't see a nametag or whatever, so i can see that Mr.X died but i dont know if it was Mr.X that i just shot.

More annoyingly however are the connected/disconnected messages, they spam the chat and are pretty useless.

Kill messages are part of the server difficulty setting. If server owner has set DeathMessages=0 in their server profile, then kill messages are not shown. There are some DayZ servers with kill messages disabled.

Kill messages are part of the server difficulty setting. If server owner has set DeathMessages=0 in their server profile' date=' then kill messages are not shown. There are some DayZ servers with kill messages disabled.

[/quote']

Oh I didn't know that. Good to know :)