curtis19

Humanity and Groups

I think a need and important feture for DayZ would be groups/clans/teams.

1.) I think that if the game was to offically regconize them it would be a start to allowing people to join together in the game.

2.) Another thing would be if your humanity determine if you could spawn after a death in a group or not. Also to make things even a little more interesting, groups with three or less start with people all high humanity, four or more can have one person with low humanity.

3.) Also I don't think it should allow people to gain humanity for helping people in their group only outside of the group, or you get less for helping the group since thats not just a humnae thing to do, but it helps you in the long run.

4.) Another idea, JUST AN IDEA, is the more/less humanity you have determines what items you start with, if your in the less area you start with an axe while the more you have you start with 2x banages, or sometihn glike that.

Edited by curtis19
  • Like 2

I like the idea of spawning with your group/clan members. But it should only be possible in certain areas near the coast for example. It's also good if only heros were able to do that.

And heros should spawn with more bandages and more morphine but no weapons, while bandits start with NOTHING at all.

You people have not understood the concept of humanity. It is NOT there to punish Bandits! And it shouldn't, because neither playstyle should be rewarded over another. Both should have their benefits.

If anything there should be a mechanic where when you travel with a group for a while the group should be recognised by the game as such and when people from your group commit murders and other atrocities, the humanity of everyone within the group should be lowered as to prevent bandit groups having a medic with a hero skin to lure in unknowing survivors making them feel save through the hero skin.

The same should be true for helping other people if someone from your group helps someone from outside of your group everyone within the group should benefit not just the one giving the transfusion.

• Like 3

You people have not understood the concept of humanity. It is NOT there to punish Bandits! And it shouldn't, because neither playstyle should be rewarded over another. Both should have their benefits.

If anything there should be a mechanic where when you travel with a group for a while the group should be recognised by the game as such and when people from your group commit murders and other atrocities, the humanity of everyone within the group should be lowered as to prevent bandit groups having a medic with a hero skin to lure in unknowing survivors making them feel save through the hero skin.

The same should be true for helping other people if someone from your group helps someone from outside of your group everyone within the group should benefit not just the one giving the transfusion.

i agree with the group share humanity, but how does my idea benefit one group here? I mean the group starting for people with more humanity makes sense, even clans in general cause bad guys have groups too, my idea with the humanity is that people can start with random ppl, all of whom share a positive humanity above a certain number. Why cause people who have lots of humanity would nautrally group together to survive, those with lower wouldn't or would have a smal group of people they trust, like bandits in the old west.

The start with random items was just a side thought.

Edited by curtis19

Interesting.

What if one bad apple permanently spoiled the rest (or from a murderers point of view, one good apple slowing their quest for total badassism)

Interesting.

What if one bad apple permanently spoiled the rest (or from a murderers point of view, one good apple slowing their quest for total badassism)

I would say a simple group kick kind of idea, or kill that person if you like I guess. Also same with allowing people to vote in a group member.

Edited by curtis19

I would say a simple group kick kind of idea, or kill that person if you like I guess. Also same with allowing people to vote in a group member.

Maybe

The exiled would have to live with the consequences and take the humanity hit they inflicted, while the impact on the groups over all humanity could be removed over time.

A group would have a tarnished reputation for awhile if a member went on a killing/healing spree.

Edited by RogueNZ
  • Like 1

Maybe

The exiled would have to live with the consequences and take the humanity hit they inflicted, while the impact on the groups over all humanity could be removed over time.

A group would have a tarnished reputation for awhile if a member went on a killing/healing spree.

I think if it works as you put it, it would be very realistic, though I tihnk the humainty for everyone should always be changeable depending on thier actions as it is now, but basically the conecpt as you put it is spot on with my thoughts.

I like the idea of spawning with your group/clan members. But it should only be possible in certain areas near the coast for example. It's also good if only heros were able to do that.

And heros should spawn with more bandages and more morphine but no weapons, while bandits start with NOTHING at all.

I have a better idea heros start with a bandage, painkillers and a flashlight and bandits start with a bandage painkillers and a flashlight

I have a better idea heros start with a bandage, painkillers and a flashlight and bandits start with a bandage painkillers and a flashlight

What do you think about people with high humanity starting in groups if they choose to, and those with starting alone. Or to make things even a little more interesting, groups with three or less start with people all high humanity, four or more can have one person with low humanity?

Next time someone says "playstyle," I'm killing a small furry animal.

On another note, I don't think it would be too weird to spawn near a group. As long as they were forced to spawn on the coast with the rest of the spawns. Although it's easy to see how this would be abused in a staged armed conflict with dead players constantly providing reinforcements so that battles never end.

On second thought, scratch that idea. Not until tents and vehicle storage are removed.

Next time someone says "playstyle," I'm killing a small furry animal.

On another note, I don't think it would be too weird to spawn near a group. As long as they were forced to spawn on the coast with the rest of the spawns. Although it's easy to see how this would be abused in a staged armed conflict with dead players constantly providing reinforcements so that battles never end.

On second thought, scratch that idea. Not until tents and vehicle storage are removed.

First just a lil FYI Rocket says there are different playstyles too.

Anyway yea they would haveto start just like normal spawns do, however i would says for the idea of using humanity, groups would be randomly put together. If it was a clan start thign than that be different, but the abuse wouldn't be that bad, cause people would still have to get back over there and gear back up, I mean it really is no different than if they started alone at different locations on map.

Hey take a look at my post: http://dayzmod.com/f...or/#entry793267 I came up s similar twist on group player and player interactions; to encourage better playing experience.

Good ideas, but I feel that my idea is more realistic, as people in yours, though well thought out, people couldn't knowin real life.

Just a bump, to get some more views on this....

Edited by curtis19

Humanity is not a very effective metric as it exists now. Bandits can wear hero skins all day long if they keep bandaging and bloodbagging each other. You only need to be humane to one guy, and can be a villain to all the rest, as long as you do it right. Heck, a few minutes at the Berez hospital on a low-population server with a pal, taking turns jumping off the ladder and patching each other up with supplies out of the boxes, and it's a plaid shirt convention.

Besides, banditry is well-served by group play just as much or more than survival, since legitimate bandits depend on successful PvP for their food and medicine and ammunition, while survivors can graze on loot spawns without having to kill them first. I know when I play solo, I have an easier time avoiding fights than seeking them, and I don't have the bandit skin. Having the bandit skin makes you an instant target, so you have to quickly meet up with the guys who know you well enough to refrain from going spastic when they see your hat.

There has to be a better way to track humanity and have it influence the game. There's no computer algorithm that can extrapolate your personality from your in-game actions, it just turns into a slider with triggers to move it this way and that. It can be tricked, and it can mislead.

The best thing I can think of for balancing bandit/survivor lifestyles would be a loot revamp, like this.

I think having skins at is bad, people should be able to dress however they want, in real life I can't tell who is good and who is bad when i see them. Also the spawn idea is to help encourage each type of game play, it actually feeds into the game design, especially when you look at having 3 or more players in a group spawn. Also it would be fine as long as killing someone without caused took more humanity than healing someone gave, also healing friends in groups give you less, or only gave a group humanity.

Edited by curtis19
  • Like 1

1.) I think that if the game was to offically regconize them it would be a start to allowing people to join together in the game.

2.) Another thing would be if your humanity determine if you could spawn after a death in a group or not. Also to make things even a little more interesting, groups with three or less start with people all high humanity, four or more can have one person with low humanity.

3.) Also I don't think it should allow people to gain humanity for helping people in their group only outside of the group, or you get less for helping the group since thats not just a humnae thing to do, but it helps you in the long run.

4.) Another idea, JUST AN IDEA, is the more/less humanity you have determines what items you start with, if your in the less area you start with an axe while the more you have you start with 2x banages, or sometihn glike that.

Some of that I like but I don't think people should be helped because they are being nice. Death is death.

Some of that I like but I don't think people should be helped because they are being nice. Death is death.

Its not so much helping as it is making grouping easier to do, as it is now, ppl just kill on sight. This is to ENCOURAGE group play among those who want to group play, while keeping the game the same for those who don't, however adding in the function of possibly having a bandit in the mix of a group, helps them as well, allowing them to group up and TRY to kill their teamates after using them if they wish.

1. Yes, but it shouldn't be something automatic. If you're a group, you should have to farm the necessary materials to modify your outfit.

2. Absolutely not, it ruins all concept of the "lonely survivor starting with nothing." If you could spawn with your group, the game would devolve into a CoD party system of groups just running around with hatchets and taking down lone survivors.

3. I dont see how helping someone inside of your group reduces the humanity of it. Imagine this: You're strapped for supplies, low on ammo, and hungry. Your teammate falls down a flight of stairs and breaks his leg. You and your other 3 group members excluding the injured one have only one morphine shot between you. Bestowing it upon your friend is a difficult decision, you might need it yourself later, right? But you help him anyway. Does that not take a certain degree of humanity?

4. Again, no. There should be no reward or disadvantage for your playstyle of choice. I'm personally entirely against the hero and bandit skins, but that's a whole other story.

• Like 1

1. Yes, but it shouldn't be something automatic. If you're a group, you should have to farm the necessary materials to modify your outfit.

2. Absolutely not, it ruins all concept of the "lonely survivor starting with nothing." If you could spawn with your group, the game would devolve into a CoD party system of groups just running around with hatchets and taking down lone survivors.

3. I dont see how helping someone inside of your group reduces the humanity of it. Imagine this: You're strapped for supplies, low on ammo, and hungry. Your teammate falls down a flight of stairs and breaks his leg. You and your other 3 group members excluding the injured one have only one morphine shot between you. Bestowing it upon your friend is a difficult decision, you might need it yourself later, right? But you help him anyway. Does that not take a certain degree of humanity?

4. Again, no. There should be no reward or disadvantage for your playstyle of choice. I'm personally entirely against the hero and bandit skins, but that's a whole other story.

1.I was thinking something much simpler like their name ina green color appeared above their heads only to ppl who are in group. (PPL can recognize faces in real life.)

2.In the REAL world ppl would not all be alone, some would have grouped up before the outbreak. Also your fear wouldn't happen as the function is based on humanity, so ppl who do that mass killing wouldn't be able to group spawn after death with friends.

3.It would takes less humanity to help a FRIEND than a STRANGER simple as that. So i agree it may take some but not nearly as much.

4.Yea, I agree but just throwing that idea out for the simple fact of getting feed back.

1.I was thinking something much simpler like their name ina green color appeared above their heads only to ppl who are in group. (PPL can recognize faces in real life.)

2.In the REAL world ppl would not all be alone, some would have grouped up before the outbreak. Also your fear wouldn't happen as the function is based on humanity, so ppl who do that mass killing wouldn't be able to group spawn after death with friends.

3.It would takes less humanity to help a FRIEND than a STRANGER simple as that. So i agree it may take some but not nearly as much.

4.Yea, I agree but just throwing that idea out for the simple fact of getting feed back.

1. That is a realism destroyer, Rocket frequently states that he supports mostly realistic functions in the game. Perhaps this would be acceptable on a nametags server, but not otherwise.

2. People may have grouped up before the outbreak, but typically in an outbreak groups are quickly destroyed through dissension or by simply being larger targets. Again, this unnecessarily rewards "good" behavior, which is unfair.

3. You're implying that everyone you're in a group with is your friend. In an apocalyptic situation, you don't have the luxury of grouping with your friends. You join who you can to survive. You might hate that guy who needs the blood transfusion. You simply don't know.

1. That is a realism destroyer, Rocket frequently states that he supports mostly realistic functions in the game. Perhaps this would be acceptable on a nametags server, but not otherwise.

2. People may have grouped up before the outbreak, but typically in an outbreak groups are quickly destroyed through dissension or by simply being larger targets. Again, this unnecessarily rewards "good" behavior, which is unfair.

3. You're implying that everyone you're in a group with is your friend. In an apocalyptic situation, you don't have the luxury of grouping with your friends. You join who you can to survive. You might hate that guy who needs the blood transfusion. You simply don't know.

1. As it is realism when it comes to player looks is very fake everyone is dressed the same and often look the same, this is a simple thing to allow ppl to recognize ppl, as you would be able to in real life by seeing their face.

2.Not true, often ppl stick together more, as they are better to be safe, animals do it as a means of survival, its one of the most basic survival tactics.

3.Still less as you are helping someone you have a relationship too, and most likely you are doing for your own survival somehow in that situation, however if you go out of your way to help someone you don't know its takes much more humanity. (if your with someone you hate, your with them because its safer, and leaving them would create a less safer environment for you, however helping someone who is of no help to you, is you just being a good person for the simple fact of being a good person.)