Chamberlain

About the map wide chat system

First of all I would like to thank you for this awesome mod.

Now, to the point:

I'd like the map wide chat to be disabled completely. The chat would be limited to the area right next to you where only the people around you can see what you say. The only way to talk to people on the far edges of the map would be radiophones which can be found as a rare loot on military sites or such. This would make you feel more alone in the zombie infested wilderness, and hearing (seeing) someone speak would increase the feel of security, and on some occasions make you more aware and cautious.

Also - I don't know if this can be implemented to the ArmA II system - I think talking on the chat should attract Zombies, since they are attracted to sound anyways - even though the text on the chat is just "virtual speech".

Let me know what you think!

Let's talk about this again when the DC is working 100% of the time.

I've seen instances of gameplay where there was no text chat at all on side channel but that was when the DC was working.

+1

At the very least, make it possible for client to choose to disable chat display

Map-wide chat is just so immersion breaking.. maybe enable it only if you have a radio with you, otherwise you are limited to using direct chat.

Or just have an option to disable other than direct chat

Map-wide chat is just so immersion breaking.. maybe enable it only if you have a radio with you' date=' otherwise you are limited to using direct chat.

Or just have an option to disable other than direct chat

[/quote']

You can mute people.

And DEFINITELY disable VOIP over anything other than DC. Nothing worse that some dweeb keying up his favorite A-Team sound bite over global or trying to carry on a conversation with his buddies miles away... like they are the only players on the server. Communication should be part of survival. Let them figure out how to use chat/voip the right way.

Muting people affects VOIP. (If you couldn't mute people, I just wouldn't play the mod as it would be unplayabe)

Muting people does not affect chat, which is what the OP is about

Locking (after fixing it, of course) voip AND text to DC solves all the problems.

Wouldn't mind the so and so is connecting shit to disappear too, it blinds me during night time.

And yeah just disable VON and chat if you want to talk to someone get them on TS or use many of the available 3rd party chat programs like steam ect.

I don't want to hear some idiot broadcasting his position and see him rage in chat when he gets whacked.

Locking (after fixing it' date=' of course) voip AND text to DC solves all the problems.

[/quote']

I'll try that.

100% support for this idea, or at least give servers an option to disable it. It breaks immersion and the zillion channels generally confuse people. Not to mention when some tool is broadcasting on sidechannel when he's eating crisps. The joy.

Yes, option to hide chat until direct chat starts working reliably, then kill global chat, only proximity chat and VOIP. You have my sword.

Yeah it needs to go. It would be cool if you could find a radio and have limited range contact on different frequencies. Probably outside the engine's capabilities though.

Direct chat needs to be properly fixed before this happens,

I mentioned this in another thread. But I think the game should limit chat to DC unless you find a walkie talkie, then you have 12 seperate, Global chat channels, so only people with walkies can talk or listen globally.

Locking (after fixing it' date=' of course) voip AND text to DC solves all the problems.[/quote']

I agree. It would be a big boost to the immersion if all text and voice chat apart from Direct Communication would be disabled. It's hard to find a server where there is no constant spam of text in the side channel killing the immersion.

BIS got a nice cash boost from the recent mod's popularity , the latest beta patch of the game has aparently some DC voice chat fixes.

Locking (after fixing it' date=' of course) voip AND text to DC solves all the problems.[/quote']

I agree. It would be a big boost to the immersion if all text and voice chat apart from Direct Communication would be disabled. It's hard to find a server where there is no constant spam of text in the side channel killing the immersion.

you people say its breaks immersion why are you looking at the bottom left hand corner of your screen? I rarely don't ever see it. Matter of fact I haven't seen or pay attention to it has gotten me blasted before so I honestly don't know what you are complaining about when you say it breaks immersion. I kinda find it sad when you say you want immersion in a military simulator, if you are that desperate for immersion do the real thing and get off the computer.

you people say its breaks immersion why are you looking at the bottom left hand corner of your screen? I rarely don't ever see it. Matter of fact I haven't seen or pay attention to it has gotten me blasted before so I honestly don't know what you are complaining about when you say it breaks immersion. I kinda find it sad when you say you want immersion in a military simulator' date=' if you are that desperate for immersion do the real thing and get off the computer.

[/quote']

Have you actually bothered to play this mod much lately? With direct chat (and text) broken the only in game communication IS the side and global chats in the corner of the screen. Sad but true.

Supposedly the direct chat feature is now fixed but I have yet to see it work on a server.

totaly agree, only direct chat should be usable, no more dead guys trelling all the server where are hidden a group of pkers !

It really does break all immersion having people talk to each other over vast distances about "who is more of a fag" or telling each other to "suck my dick". At least when people start playing music on the global voice chats I have the option to mute them, but I cannot limit text based nonsense.

I'm just guessing, but I think that a lot of people who smack talk and fool around in the global chats are probably in general the same people who play this game as a PvP shooter and not so much as a zombie survival simulator.

Perhaps some of those people would go back to CoD if the global chat was suddenly disabled...

lol i love the suggestions thread that start with ' id like to'

would you like some ice cream with that too?