brettuk

What Exactly is Dayz & a Few Questions

Hey,

Recently I've been seeing a lot of videos on youtube of Dayz gameplay and I've been ignoring it, but just a second ago I sat down and watched a Dayz video. It looked incredibly insane and I want to play.

I hear this "Dayz" is a Mod, what is it exactly? How is it different form the original game, looks the same to me.

Also, If I were to spend money to play Dayz, what would I need to buy and how much would it cost?

This is coming from a noob, but I appreciate your help!

Cheers.

Also, If I were to spend money to play Dayz, what would I need to buy and how much would it cost?

If you have a Steam account, you could buy and download Arma 2: Combined Operations for $29.99 US, which is the minimum of what you need to play. Then you could download either Six Launcher or Day Z Commander to install and manage the mod (I would recommend Day Z Commander because it doesn't suck: http://www.dayzcommander.com/) unless you're feeling adventurous and decide to do a manual installation.

Trust me, this will most likely be the best $30 you've ever spent after you get over the learning curve.

Watch a few more video's to make sure its a good fit for you. Its hard to the core and non hardcore gamers often rage quit as the learning curve is steep indeed.

In its basis its arma 2 dulled down. Instead of choosing a class and instantly having the best gear available, you must gather it yourself, as you start with nothing.

Survival is paramount and one hasty action could spell your demise, and the loss of all you worked to collect. Zombies are everywhere but are not the main threat in dayz.

The main threat is the players themselves, as some turn to the dark side and become bandits. Others become heroes, medics and trader.

As the saying goes, "DayZ, what will you become?"

It is a MODification of the game ArmA 2, in order to play DayZ you would have to buy ArmA 2 on steam for £25, and install the mod, which is easily done via software called 'six updater' or 'dayz commander'.

You should be made aware that this is only a mod, the mod itself is free to play. However, the developers will be releasing an official standalone version within the next few months, so you might want to wait for that.

i

its a zombie based Apocalypse game.

and it costs 25 euro.

Can I go online? Do I get weapons etc, do they save ?

Watch a few more video's to make sure its a good fit for you. Its hard to the core and non hardcore gamers often rage quit as the learning curve is steep indeed.

In its basis its arma 2 dulled down. Instead of choosing a class and instantly having the best gear available, you must gather it yourself, as you start with nothing.

Survival is paramount and one hasty action could spell your demise, and the loss of all you worked to collect. Zombies are everywhere but are not the main threat in dayz.

The main threat is the players themselves, as some turn to the dark side and become bandits. Others become heroes, medics and trader.

As the saying goes, "DayZ, what will you become?"

So I have to work to get equipment etc. Does all of this save and I can return this save another day? What happens if the server crashes etc, who owns the servers?

the play is "online" against other players and computer controlled zombies... you start with next to nothing ... you must figure out how to avoid "Zeds" to get items ... all the time you may be in the snipers crosshairs... if you do manage to get gear and die ... you start over with nothing ... by far the best game out to be played... PERIOD.

the play is "online" against other players and computer controlled zombies... you start with next to nothing ... you must figure out how to avoid "Zeds" to get items ... all the time you may be in the snipers crosshairs... if you do manage to get gear and die ... you start over with nothing ... by far the best game out to be played... PERIOD.

Can you play Offline also? And is there cheats in the game? Could I play solo offline and give myself a sniper etc.

I would suggest not to buy the game until the standalone. I bought it and im kinda regretting it. Wait for the Standalone. Its full of hackers and glitches etc. Its still really fun, but you are going to pay two times for kinda the same game. If you are patient you can wait a bit for the standalone.

If you can play it with some its even better....

But you cant trust some unknown person...cause 99% of players shoots on sight(1% are medics or idiots-like me who just help people..give them weapons and meds)

only *friendly.....looks friendly* are persons without weapon cause they cant kill :D but i they have weapon...they probably kill you....

But it REAL FUN just...stalk/kill someone....

i play lot of games...and this is ONLY game which realy is SURVIVAL game.(for me)

Don't wait for the standalone, that's like 3 months away minimum.

So I have to work to get equipment etc. Does all of this save and I can return this save another day? What happens if the server crashes etc, who owns the servers?

For the record you can't play offline. The server automatically saves your character for you, you can keep coming back day after day assuming your character doesn't get killed, in which case you just start on the beach again. The servers are run by whoever will run/rent their own server.

I just bought this game a couple weeks ago and I don't regret a single bit of it. I've encountered plenty of glitches but I've only crashed maybe twice. There's all this talk of hackers but honestly I've only encountered it once that I know of, soon after I started playing I got teleported to a hill with a bunch of others and killed. Really just find a decent server or two (preferably low population until you get the basics) and stick with those and you won't have many problems.

Hey,

Recently I've been seeing a lot of videos on youtube of Dayz gameplay and I've been ignoring it, but just a second ago I sat down and watched a Dayz video. It looked incredibly insane and I want to play.

I hear this "Dayz" is a Mod, what is it exactly? How is it different form the original game, looks the same to me.

This is coming from a noob, but I appreciate your help!

Cheers.

the minimum would be arma2free + operation arrowhead, but for better textures and play go with combined operations thats arma2 + operation arrowhead. You can either buy it from the steam store or directly from https://store.bistudio.com/

i

Can I go online? Do I get weapons etc, do they save ?

You can only play online, server do automaticly save every 5 minutes, or you can force save when you correctly abort the game with esc > abort mission. Weapons you get by scavenging.

All saves but if you die you start over, yes you need to work for it. At 1st the zombies will be a pain untill you learn how to stealth properly after that other players and scriptkiddies. The servers are owned by players who liked to have a bit more servers around. Mostly for own clan stuff. But they are not allowed to kick of players just cause they want to be alone. Everythign is connected to the hive (big data base) if a server is not connected its a private hive and that server has been blacklisted by dayzteam. Everything you get at a private server you cannot carry over to a offical hive connected server and vice versa

Can you play Offline also? And is there cheats in the game? Could I play solo offline and give myself a sniper etc.

You can play offline arma2 campaigns and such, but you cannpt play dayz offline. Also cheating in a multiplayer is not allowed. There are plenty of those already on the servers but battle-eye the anti cheat program catches quite a few off those cheaters.

Also sidenote think carefully when you want to aquire arma 2 for just dayz. As its a mod in alpha there are plenty of stuff that make people upset and make posts about i bought just for dayz why it sucks. There are plenty of warnings even in the faq i believe. Cause its a mod it has its limitation. Rocket the develeoper has announced that end this year the alpha for the standalone of dayz will be released following the minecraft model of buy early developement cheaper till its finished.

The standalone will look better we hope and the zombies will be harder. And we hope no battle eye, as curently that anti-cheat has its flaws. I hope for one there will be better;

so i suggest watch more videos, and ask yourself can i play this on my system and will i have fun. Can i wait for standalone or shall i buy arma2 for dayz. if you buy arma2 for dayz, i suggest looking at the campaigns etc and the other mods its quite some fun