Sign in to follow this  
oli83

GFX CARD

Hey guys,

I currently have and play dayz (no very well mind) but a friend wants in on the action. I am pretty new to Pc Gaming and he wants some advice on a budget gfx card. He was looking at getting a 2mb radeon HD 6950 but it has been discontinued. The next one up is the 6970but this is £200

my friends butget is around £150 but we cannot find a 2mb gfx card for the budget. Is it worth buying a 1mb then adding another 1mb at a later date?

any advice would be grateful

I'm not sure how it is in euros but...

Best GFX for the price right now is:

$160 - Radeon 6870 or GTX 560

$200 - GTX 560 Ti

$250 - Radeon 7850

Any of those cards should run Arma 2 on high settings no problem, you might be also push for Very High (with anti aliasing) but I think the performance loss for visual gain is not that great.

The 6950 is a decent mid-high end card, although a 7850 is slightly cheaper and you can also overclock it past the 6950.

IMO, go with a 560 Ti, its a great card for its price.

The 560ti don't do ultra settings fella but plays with it all on high, I've got one. :)

Oh and you can't add extra ram to a gfx card as far as I'm aware

The 560ti don't do ultra settings fella but plays with it all on high, I've got one. :)

I don't see much point in some of the game's settings anyway (post processing and anti aliasing). They hit your performance extremely hard for almost no gain. Ultra is something only the top top high end cards can run but IMO, it's not worth the money.

• Like 1

Buy new CPU, the whole game drains so much CPU that it's insane. Graphics card doesn't really matter that much. Seen people play on ATI series 4k, and my friend is playing on 8800 nVidia.

The 7000 series of AMD just got price reduction. A 7850 is around 200 now which is a great choice.

my pc has a 560 TI And I can run the game on ultra all day long no problems..

I get frame rate problems in towns and on certain servers. Runs at 60 fps in the country but down as low as 25 sometimes. Runs Red Orchestra 2 on Ultra without a hitch mind.

I have a 560 TI and I can run the game on all ultra with 30fps and more... it runs on 900mhz shader clock without any problems.

My CPU is a Sandy-Bridge i5 @4,4GHZ Quadcore.

Edited by YassirX

The 7000 series of AMD just got price reduction. A 7850 is around 200 now which is a great choice.

what he said ^ i have this card and with a minor overclock to 1100mhz core i run this game flawlessly on high. never tried it at stock clocks but they all overclock this high without problem

Dont bother with a new video card if you're having issues running DayZ unless you are SURE it is your GPU bottlenecking

This is from ArmA2 + ACE + ACRE, I would have used DayZ but I had to log off quickly last night and it wasn't in the safest of places so I am waiting for my server pop to go down :)

I run this(and DayZ) at a steady 40 frames, and it is not my GPU that bottlenecks it is my CPU, try turning your options UP to take some of load off your CPU and see if it increases your performance..or better yet get a GPU/CPU load logger and see which one runs at 100% most of the time. Whichever one runs at 100% is what you need to upgrade.

http://i.imgur.com/f46BU.jpg (large pic)

for those not wanting to look

8800GT 684MHZ(900Mhz Vram)

Core 2 Duo e6850 3 Ghz

with almost all VERY high settings getting 40 Frames per Second with 3500 visibility

Edited by Charles Darwin