oli83

Does any one use direct chat, or even look at it???!!!!!!

Hey Guys,

Ive been playing this for a week now and have yet to have anyone use or respond to any of my direct chat messages. Also I have not heard anyone on a mic.

I select direct chat from the list (not group or vehicle) and type away to players I have seen........Normally i am frantically typing friendly while they are lining up a perfect headshot!!!!

I was looting a city (can't remember which one ATM), I was lying down in the shop winchester out and watched another player come charging in followed by a horde of zombies, i took out about 10 of the rotting walking corpses for this guy and typed in direct chat that im here to help etc. What thanks do i get? a shotgun in the back!!!!

another occasion I was in the firestation in elecktro, I was up the tower watching a player evade many zombies, He came running towards the firestation, I typed "friendly in fire station ready to help". He ran in, i go downstairs, he runs past me and I kill all of the oncoming zombies. Guess how I was thanked? thats right a hatchet to the face!!!

their are many similar stories all ending the same depressing way!!!!

I have 3000 humanity at the moment, I have only come across one person in about 20 who was willing to give "humanity" a chance and that was great fun. I am really trying hard not to turn into a murderer who shoots at other players without warning but I think I slowly being drawn to the dark side.

I use direct chat as im yet to buy a headset. But I still do not hear anyone else with a mic. Is direct chat used alot or am I the only one stupid enough to be typing when instead I should be looking at murdering everyone??

• Like 1

i use direct chat all the time. typing may not be a good idea as some times people will get tunnel vision when they see another play so they wont see your text. so step one would be get a mic. untill then get ready to die. a lot even when you do get a mic being friendly will kill you a fair ammount. i try to be friendly all the time but i would say 70% of the time it ends in death. but the 30% is great. i have met some really good friends in dayz. so dont give up being friendly. just stay sharp and keep your eye on people if they look at you funny shoot them. but dont kill them just knock them out. then bandage them and drag them so when they wake up they cant look at you

If you want the honest answer most people are using vent or something like it.. If they are using vent most likely they already have a group of peeps, so if they come across others they will make a decission on vent what they are going to do with you.. Even if you see one person.. there is a good chance they are talking to others.. The best advice I can give you is join up with some people on an external chat device and stay within a group. that is what I imagine would happen in an actual event like Zombie.. people would form a trust with only certain people.. and only when needed grow that trust to others.

Get a mic bro. Trust me, when you are in the heat of the moment, you will not notice chat. I record gameplay, and you will not believe how mcu stuff i miss in the chat. One time playing lingor island, with global chat enabled, we saw a guys, broke his legs, and took him hostage. After i rewatched the gameplay and noticed that he repeatedly typed friendly in the chat. I was so focused on not being killed that i shot him.If you probably talked to people, they might actually respond.

Also chances are if you are armed people will shoot you one sight. Its a little rule of mine. Its kill or be killed.

I think....

1.maybe is he blind

2.100% he/they dont give a damn what you type...from friendly person they cant get loot...so they kill you....

iam same like you(but i kill today one)...i type friend twice...nothing...he start shoot at me...even iam a hero i kill him(sefldefense :D )

if you just dont kill anyone like me...avoid anyone with weapon(without they harmless)

I use direct communication channel whenever I meet a stranger. You have to remember that direct communication channel voice chat carries only up to 80 meters, and text only to 40 meters. If you see someone running towards you 100 meters away and type something to him in direct communication channel, he won't be able to read it.

Also some people might be able to hear/see you, but they just don't know what key to press to respond. In those cases it is good to also tell them how to respond to you (caps lock for voice, / for text, and period/comma to change channel to direct communication).

Unfortunately the default channel is group channel (hopefully rocket will change this in the future). Many people might be trying to reply to you in group channel, and naturally you won't be able to read it.

Edited by Wüstenfuchs

I use the mic on direct commo all the time.

Noone responds and I'm not sure if it even works.

I'm not very computer literate, so I don't know anything about external chat devices.

Let me know if you here "Giggity" in the distance, if u do you are among friends and I'll team up with you for awhile.

3 weeks on the game and not a single murder yet.

Mics don't help at all.... I've run i to buildings with a horde of zombies behind me saying friendly/dont shoot over and over again to only be shot in the face regardless. I liked the idea of the bandit skins and am glad they are somewhat back in the game. Even though they aren't perfect right now (how do I start off with -10k humanity on one guy, die, come back as another with 0, die again, spawn back up with -2k?) it has helped me to determine if you die when I see you.

Who/what does Group Channel actually go to? Is there any use for it in DayZ?

Your text in group channel in ArmA 2 can be seen by only those people who are in the same group with you. When you use voice in any channel, it is also broadcasted over the direct communication, though. In DayZ mission we are all in different groups, e.g. no one can see your text on that channel (except in the lobby, as everyone is still in same group).

More info about the communication channels here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7954-voice-text-communication/

Edited by Wüstenfuchs

I don't type in direct chat unless I'm in a safe position and know whoever I'm talking to can't see me. I use direct com most of the time but rarely get responses. So I end up acting insane on direct com more than anything. And yes, I use vent and ts but I'm always willing to talk to other players but I'm not going to team up with them. Experience has taught me not to turn my back on would-be friendlies.

Headsets are only 20 bucks so I suggest picking one up.

As soon as your hearing non zed footsteps. If you want to announce yourself. Get typing.

Better still.

Get a mic and double tap CAPS LOCK.

Remember though.

NEVER give away your position unless you trust the other person with your gear.