Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Please. Please. PLEASE reinstate kill display.

This isnt about QQ or any shit like that. Simply put, if someones hacking and kills me or I kill them I WANT to know their fn name so I can have them delt with properly. As well, when I am FRAPS recording it, if I dont get the name how is that any help. This needs to be reinstated because this would single handedly discourage 80% of these little shits from hacking because they will be put out on public display.

As well, it doesnt take away from the game because lets be honest... spawning in helos and weapons doesnt ADD to the realism either and this is a better fix at the moment than waiting 8 months for a better anti-cheat system.

Anyways, thats my rant. I want it reinstated because it doesnt make sense not having it available.

If they are scripting they will show up in the logs regardless and if they aren't scripting how do you determine that they were cheating and didn't just best you?

If they are scripting they will show up in the logs regardless and if they aren't scripting how do you determine that they were cheating and didn't just best you?

What would that change?

If they are cheating, you got their names.

If they are not, and by mistake you think they are, you can at least ask an investigation by the admin/community.

I see absolutely no issue with that. I second OP.

Edited by Thadeum

Actually this is more likely to cause admins to be flooded with reports along the lines of: "SniperDude killed me... I'm pretty sure he's hacker! Ban him!".

What I don't understand is, if the servers are logging everything that goes on and that data is being analysed periodically, people using hacks like teleportation and scripted in weapons, etc should be almost non existent. They would do it once, then a log analysis a few hours later should detect it and ban them. Yet these hackers still exist in force.

if players are using scripts, its shown in logs? why no just post this line into global chat, so people could know about hackers on server?

if players are using scripts, its shown in logs? why no just post this line into global chat, so people could know about hackers on server?

No I was just speculating. I would have thought that, even if the game is very P2P instead of server controlled, all actions the players are taking should be logged by the server. So if someone teleports or spawns in a weapon, the server should be logging it, making it easy to find and ban them.

However the engine probably doesn't log the actions... seems like a design oversight, but it's the only explanation. If someone teleports next to me or spawns a hacked gun next to me, I can see them (or pick up the gun). That means this information is passed from his client to mine, bypassing the server. Otherwise the server would be able to log that happening and ban the guy soon after. I wonder if it's very hard for them to do a fix that would force all P2P data to be replicated to the server for logging too.

Edited by falconne

I'd like it for the simple fact if (mr. bob) killed me i can check the list and when he's not in the server anymore i know it may be safe to go where i was going .

go on regurlar or recruit servers, they show death messages, or use dayz commander. this shows u if the server has death messages or not, what time of the day it is and ect.

derp.

go on regurlar or recruit servers, they show death messages, or use dayz commander. this shows u if the server has death messages or not, what time of the day it is and ect.

derp.

You didn't read the thread did you?

HERP DERP.

Edited by CrazyJoe

What a idiot that guy is.

Moving on.... I am also saying you STILL need video/image proof, this just helps make things quicker. If someone is OBV hacking *IE weapons/equipment*, god mode, invisible and all the other crap that plagues this mod, it would make it easier for everyone if we can point the hackers out quickly.

Have you ever hosted a server? Have you ever looked at the logs?

Let me start off by saying that not everything is scripted into the logs. Hackers are finding ways to bypass the server logs.

Even if the log picks it up, it can be very difficult to filter the good from the bad in the logs. Even programs used to decipher cheating in the logs have a hard time picking up cheats.

I have admined many servers in many games and even today I admin servers for other games and I will tell you that anti cheat programs are not always as good as just being a good admin and knowing what to look for when finding a cheater. In DayZ we admins are at a HUGE disadvantage due to our lack of resources to catch hackers. Sure, we have the logs, but in-game features like giving away a killers identity could help us greatly.

Example: In a server that actually showed who killed who, we watched for about an hour a guy named 9Tails was killing people left and right. We are in the woods in the middle of nowhere and WAM WAM WAM. All 3 of us shot dead.

Now even if we weren't admins in the server we could also use something like a victim/killer display in a multitude of screenshots to help determine he is hacking.

I've never seen a server that tells who did the killing, just the death notifications. Is that a server-side setting, or is it prevented by the mod?

I've never seen a server that tells who did the killing, just the death notifications. Is that a server-side setting, or is it prevented by the mod?

I can't remember what server it was but I would really like to know how they did it.