colekern

A buddy system and Steam Integration.

Note: My ideas have been recently change because of someone coming up with a better idea.

First, I desperately want Steam integration for standalone when it comes out.

But, since that will take a while, I'll post something that could POSSIBLY be done much sooner.

I want a buddy system. Basically, spawning on buddies. It's incredibly annoying to get in the same server as your friend, then have no idea where the heck they are.

(Now, before you laugh and say, "that will never work in DayZ!!", just read the next little bit.)

It would be more like a party system. Let's say your walking around with some friendlies you just met, when all of the sudden bandits jump out of nowhere and shoot all of you. On the death screen, you should be able "party up" and spawn close to each other,(like a village away or closer) or completely together in one group. That way, you could stay with the people you met.

Please, if you think of a way to improve this possible addition, think of better restrictions, or just think the idea plain sucks, then leave a post.

Edited by colekern
  • Like 2

First, I desperately want Steam integration for standalone when it comes out.

But, since that will take a while, I'll post something that could POSSIBLY be done much sooner.

I want a buddy system. Basically, spawning on buddies. It's incredibly annoying to get in the same server as your friend, then have no idea where the heck they are.

(Now, before you laugh and say, "that will never work in DayZ!!", just read the next little bit.)

Obviously there would have to be some sort of linking system that allows you to create an account and have friends. Then, you could choose a buddy from the friends list to spawn on. Now here are the restrictions:

>No spawning on a buddy in a firefight or during combat. Otherwise, a player could easily respawn on his buddy, grab his gear, then they could kill the bandits via flanking or something.

>No spawning on a buddy who just murdered you. This would just give him another chance to murder you.

Please, if you think of a way to improve this possible addition, think of better restrictions, or just think the idea plain sucks, then leave a post.

I think no spawning on them but when you and your friend start a new character you can spawn together

nope

you can go play some carebear games though

Umm... why? I told you to at least give me a reason why or ways to improve it, not to throw insults. what's wrong with teaming up with friends? DayZ is mostly about teamwork.

I would love a buddy system and steam integration into the standalone, but some of your ideas are a tad flawed.

Firstly, spawning on buddies would ruin the game. Half the fun is spawning around nobody else and having to fend for yourself until a friend comes to the rescue. I would suggest that with a buddy system that you spawn in the same area as your friend, such as the same town or a town away. This way it fits it with the game and you don't have to travel across half the map to find your friend.

Could do a few things with a buddy system, such as 'friend-only chat' with both voice and text, which would be useful but might not fit in with the 'realism' the game tries to project. Could also have identifiable markers on the player skins to identify friends, such as a red armband. This would be a nice way of seeing if the guy running towards you is your friend without trying to find his nametag on regular servers without breaking the game mechanics like some other suggestions of making them glow or marking them on the map would.

Speaking of maps, you could also add the ability to mark things on the map which are only shared with your friends, such as which supermarket to loot. This would be very useful

So yeah, friend system - yes please :)

Edited by VRocker
  • Like 1

1. you can already play dayz with steam
  2. Use the search bar for topics such as this, I've already made a post about this.
  3. You can use DayZ commander and play with your friends, see what server they're on and so on.

I would love a buddy system and steam integration into the standalone, but some of your ideas are a tad flawed.

Firstly, spawning on buddies would ruin the game. Half the fun is spawning around nobody else and having to fend for yourself until a friend comes to the rescue. I would suggest that with a buddy system that you spawn in the same area as your friend, such as the same town or a town away. This way it fits it with the game and you don't have to travel across half the map to find your friend.

Could do a few things with a buddy system, such as 'friend-only chat' with both voice and text, which would be useful but might not fit in with the 'realism' the game tries to project. Could also have identifiable markers on the player skins to identify friends, such as a red armband. This would be a nice way of seeing if the guy running towards you is your friend without trying to find his nametag on regular servers without breaking the game mechanics like some other suggestions of making them glow or marking them on the map would.

Speaking of maps, you could also add the ability to mark things on the map which are only shared with your friends, such as which supermarket to loot. This would be very useful

So yeah, friend system - yes please :)

Finally someone who sees what I mean. I think your ideas are grea, and better than mine.

1. you can already play dayz with steam
  2. Use the search bar for topics such as this, I've already made a post about this.
  3. You can use DayZ commander and play with your friends, see what server they're on and so on.

I know, I already use it with steam. I'm talking about full steam integration, you, know, joining a buddies match from steam, reading the latest news on DayZ from Steam, etc.

I use Six. I can already join friends on a server, but I have no idea where the heck they are.

Basically, I want to combine all of my suggestions into one.

Spawning ON LIVE FRIENDS IS A BAD IDEA but! Allow a group to all spawn for the first time together would be fine. Basically if everyone is dead you can PARTY join a server and it will spawn you all around eachother but once people die and respawn they would have to find the group. I must admit i do enjoy the time spent trying to find people. But with out alt tabbing to a map it would be impossible with a map its at least interesting. I feel its part of the punishment for dieing is getting seperated fromt he group.

• Like 1

rocket said somewhere, forgot where, but its SUPPOSED to be a pain in the @#!*% to meet up with people

You can always hope he will change his mind.