DrRageQuit

Health Regeneration & Eating (v2)

Just recreating a thread that was lost because of the hacker/poor maintenance on the forum admins part.

So. At the moment, we get hurt. We bleed out a bit, bandage ourselves, eat 8 steaks and hey presto we're fixed.

This is not how 'life' works. We heal over time naturally, and while it is sped up by proper nutrition and hydration, there is no magical fix for blood loss.

A system whereby lost blood regenerates over time would improve the game a lot. a natural regeneration of blood on a per-minute basis, which increases for a period after eating, and decreases/stops altogether while dehydrated/starving/ill (infection).

In the original thread i posted some figures which i'll repost below, which some agree'd with but others disagreed, opting for a far slower regeneration. The reason i chose the figures i did was because when all is said and done it is a game. Not everybody is going to put up with 1 blood per minute or even 10 and i believe they shouldnt have to play 24 hours a day for a week just to regen to 100%.

Limiting the speed at which people can 'heal' will stop situations where player "X" gets into a gunfight, takes damage and runs for cover, eats a fuckload of meat and sprints back into battle completely refreshed and able to take yet more damage. Limited regeneration speed will make players think more about engaging others more instead of just going in guns blazing, knowing they can get back to 100% health in a few seconds.

Anyway. The figures i proposed (slightly revised):

Regeneration under 'normal' conditions: 50 p/m - ~3 hours to regenerate 10k blood.

Regeneration after eating canned food: 100 p/m for 5 minutes. - 100 minutes to regenerate 10k blood.

Regeneration after eating cooked meat: 200 p/m for 5 minutes - 50 minutes to regenerate 10k blood.

Regeneration whilst dehydrated/starving/ill: None.

This opens up options for other regeneration rates, such as regeneration after sprinting, while in shock etc.

Lets build on the idea, while remembering that at the end of the day DayZ is a game. While it is meant to be brutal, there is a point where it can become too much and will put people off playing. Not everybody is able to play 8 hour sittings and so if you're never going to regenerate health theres nothing to make people want to play more.

I agree with this system, or something similar. Gradual progression into health works more naturally. Of course, like the eating and drinking mechanics they're sped up. (Because we can't all game in real time. So about X4 to X8 speed on bodily functions is the way to go)

I would agree to this if you drastically cut your ammounts of regeneration down. You don't fall down to near lethal blood levels then in 3 hours run around fine.

There is a reason red cross makes you wait so long to give blood. And thats a relativly small amount.

I would agree to this if you drastically cut your ammounts of regeneration down. You don't fall down to near lethal blood levels then in 3 hours run around fine.

There is a reason red cross makes you wait so long to give blood. And thats a relativly small amount.

If you want painfully slow regeneration to health, go get yourself shot for real. If you want to cut the number of people playing the game, make health regenerate painfully slowly.

Before the thread was lost, people were suggesting 1hp per minute. With the amount of playtime a lot of users have, it would take weeks to regain health. There is a limit to the amount of 'realism' you can add to the game before it stats scaring people off. And "they should man up" isnt a good answer to that.

Maybe up it a little, but keep in mind this is a sped up simulation.

Like I said, in this game we get hungrier, colder and thirstier much faster than in real life.

Because we cannot game in real time.

It's the natural process except sped up. And that should work both ways. Faster metabolism in all areas.

Anything that resembles our new and improved FPS stand still to regen health standard, I'd like to steer completely clear off in DayZ. Obviously DayZ's health system is a little bit simplified, when you can ignore broken legs by shooting up, but I'd rather have the game punish inactivity as it does now, than to reward it.

Anything that resembles our new and improved FPS stand still to regen health standard' date=' I'd like to steer completely clear off in DayZ. Obviously DayZ's health system is a little bit simplified, when you can ignore broken legs by shooting up, but I'd rather have the game punish inactivity as it does now, than to reward it.

[/quote']

But it does.

If you stand still and don't eat and drink proper, or if you're sick, you don't regenerate health. And even when you do, you regenerate slowly. It makes you go out to hunt for beans and water so you can keep your body going.

It aims for the realism of getting blood back in your system, not the core function of a the modern day health regeneration system.

+1 I've always supported this idea

Anything that resembles our new and improved FPS stand still to regen health standard' date=' I'd like to steer completely clear off in DayZ. Obviously DayZ's health system is a little bit simplified, when you can ignore broken legs by shooting up, but I'd rather have the game punish inactivity as it does now, than to reward it.

[/quote']

It's not regaining health, It's regaining blood witch happens in real life. Broken bones will stay broken regardless to how much blood you get.

If you get below X you shouldn't be able to regenerate above X without eating to get above the cap.

IE. If you loose 6k blood and you only have 6,000 left then you can only regenerate to 8,000 once you hit 8k you have to eat to get above 8k then you can only get to 10k and ten you have to eat to get above 10k which then can regen to 12k.

Thats possibly not a terrible idea.. It will stop people idling to regain health, though it does start to step back away from the realism that was intended.

Realism Pishposh.

You have to make some compromises between "reality" and game mechanics (And I dont mean game limitations).

The original values for "blood regeneration" seem too high for me, even if you add in the Blood Caps two posts up made. You'll end up with more people opting to hide away in forests or small villages scoffing food for a couple of hours and idling inbetween meals. Not only that it reduces the need to acquire blood bags.

I kind of agree with the regen idea, although i'd suggest a slightly different approach that made food less medkit-like.

For instance, say you heal blood constantly at a fixed rate but whenever you are regenerating blood you hunger and thirst increase faster as your body requires nutrition to recover, preventing you from just sitting around and waiting unless you have enough food and water with you.

Then all you'd need to do is ensure food and water recover different quantities of hunger and thirst to differentiate between the quality of meals. So one can of beans would no longer fill you up but give say 40% of your hunger back.

Meaning the only ways to speed up "health" regeneration would be blood packs etc.

Any thoughts?

Slight change maybe? Regeneration based off Hunger, Thirst, and Status effects.

Starving, Dehydration and ill (broken bones, cold, shock) means no regen. Regen is slower at lower levels of first two (in orange, for example, regen is lessened by 50%). Make it where you can only recover by regen to 9k, give or take, and not over. Also, no regen for 30 minutes after taking ANY damage.

Also, eating won't increase regen, only keep hunger levels up to make sure you don't fall into orange levels and lose a large portion regen.

Personally, any regen should be capped HARD, and take a LONG time to recover (9k health per 12 hours, or so, and not over).

It regen isn't added, I wouldn't care either. Just saying, sitting around 3k without any friends online and being forced to hunt near blind for food (or blood bags) is a MASSIVE PAIN. Sometimes I feel relief when I die during that.

YES

the rates here are too high though. You should regenerate 2k blook over 2 hours per can of beans you eat.

Slight change maybe? Regeneration based off Hunger' date=' Thirst, and Status effects.

Starving, Dehydration and ill (broken bones, cold, shock) means no regen. Regen is slower at lower levels of first two (in orange, for example, regen is lessened by 50%). Make it where you can only recover by regen to 9k, give or take, and not over. Also, no regen for 30 minutes after taking ANY damage.

[/quote']

I like this, actually i like it a lot. With exception of regen to 9k max.

Personally' date=' any regen should be capped HARD, and take a LONG time to recover (9k health per 12 hours, or so, and not over).

[/quote']

The average lifespan is 32 minutes. Given your figures you'd have healed 400 blood in that entire lifespan (assuming you were wounded instantly on spawning, of course).

Decrease the rate of regeneration and that average lifespan figure will drop more.

The average lifespan is 32 minutes. Given your figures you'd have healed 400 blood in that entire lifespan (assuming you were wounded instantly on spawning' date=' of course).

Decrease the rate of regeneration and that average lifespan figure will drop more.

[/quote']

The average lifespan is heavily affected by people respawning after a few seconds

Right now there is no regeneration, and you would need to eat more than one can of beans to get 400 regen. So these points are invalid

They're not invalid at all. Yes theres a lot of people respawning instantly which drags the figure down, but theres an equal amount of people who live much much longer than the average, which bumps it up.

Two cans of beans would regen 400. That is not a difficult achievement in any way shape or form. Up until a couple of days ago we spawned with two cans of food.

If you can regenerate 85% blood in 10 hours....you can't really. It will take like months for that.

They're not invalid at all. Yes theres a lot of people respawning instantly which drags the figure down' date=' but theres an equal amount of people who live much much longer than the average, which bumps it up.

Two cans of beans would regen 400. That is not a difficult achievement in any way shape or form. Up until a couple of days ago we spawned with two cans of food.

[/quote']

Again in slower:

You cant compare a life where someone respawns instantly because he wants to get to chernarus with someone who dies because of zombies or because he was killed by a player in Cherno

You could make a point that there are also players who continue living only because they dont log in, but thats far fewer i believe.

If we spawned with a heli a few days ago that wouldnt change the level of archievement that is getting a heli to work. I know you just wanted to say "getting beans is easy" But the ARGUMENT you tried to utilize was invalid again.

You also have made the common mistake of beeing stupid: this thread is not about the actual numbers so much as it is about the fact that your life should regenerate slowly. Maybe triggered by eating beans but maybe just all the time exept when youre hungry/thirsty/whatever.

If you can regenerate 85% blood in 10 hours....you can't really. It will take like months for that.

If you lost 85% blood you'd likely be dead anyway without any medical treatment. IIRC by the time you've lost ~40% you're up shit creek without a paddle anyway.

From an article i've just found:

The fluid component of the blood (plasma) is replaced in approximately 24 hours provided you remember to drink enough water.

The red blood cells are replaced in a few weeks - one study performed recorded an average of 36 days

So on the basis that a person contains ~10 pints' date=' we should just entirely remove the ability to regenerate health. Since nobody has lived (or likely will live) long enough to regenerate that many red cells.

In the original thread i posted some figures which i'll repost below, which some agree'd with but others disagreed, opting for a far slower regeneration. The reason i chose the figures i did was because when all is said and done it is a game. Not everybody is going to put up with 1 blood per minute or even 10 and i believe they shouldnt have to play 24 hours a day for a week just to regen to 100%.

I'm all on board for a system that supports overtime blood regeneration over instant replenishment based off how recently the player has both eaten and drank, but in addition when you are regenerating health your hunger and thirst should drop faster meaning you need more food and water when injured then you do when your healthy.

This means when your hurt you don't just instantly fix yourself up but have a period where you still need to put up with your symptoms and survive until your body has restored to a safe level of health, it also gives more meaning to the hunger and thirst mechanics which at the moment are more inconveniences then something you worry about or maintain.

Myself I only eat or drink when the icon flashes red cause there's no punishment for waiting that long and no benefit to keeping my player fed and hydrated at full.

I really like this idea. I think the rates could easily be started on the low end and tweaked upwards throughout testing to find the sweet spot. After all alpha is the time to test and experiment with features. If it ends up making the game too easy or causing everyone to sit around all day regenerating it can easily be removed.