Sanctorious

Is this admin abuse, and can anything be done about it?

• On the server US1924 ....... The Game Room | Vilayer.com one of the server owners sits on a roof of one of the industrial buildings, with a sniper of some description. Gets spotted by one of our clan mates, who takes the shot at him (name tags were on - hence we know he was one of the server owners - Server run by Dawn, his name [Dawn] Rich). After two close misses where the shot hits the railings, he gets kicked from the server. He rejoins after about 5 minutes, 3 minutes or so later, our entire clan got kicked from the server.
  • Since he kicked someone for shooting at him when he was clearly in a position to snipe over Cherno, this seems an abuse of power, along the lines of alt f4ing, but also designed to stymie other players.
  • He then kicks the entire clan for one member having taken 2 shots at him.
  • TL:DR a server admin kicked myself and some clan mates because a mate shot at him twice when he was sniping over Cherno.
  • The following is a link to a video currently being processed that will act as evidence.

Edited by Sanctorious
  • Like 1

Gotta be smarter than him. Log on another low pop server, then climb the industrial building. Hide up there where he wont see you log in. Then log in on his server and pop around the corner and kill him before he has a chance to kick you. Easy peasy japaneasy!

Edited by Symptom

To reiterate:

Server Name: US1924 (1.7.2.5/96061)(Regular|3D:ON|CH:ON) dayzmod.com - The Game Room | Vilayer.com

IP: 209.222.90.82:2312

Datetime: 2:30AM GMT 22/08/2012

Proof:

(up in ~ an hour)

Suspects: [Dawn] Rich, [Dawn] Ryan, and maybe [skitScape] Ahmad, [skitScape] Sarms

The server had recently restarted unexpectedly, possibly due to admin death, but we have no proof... what we do know is:

One of my friends shot at a suspected admin or their friend, on one of the sniper spots in Cherno.

He got kicked off the server for it.

Later we decided to fraps it and tell him to come back in. He did.

We all got kicked off.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe there is a way of telling who is shooting, UNLESS he had crosshairs on you then he probably would have killed you if you were engaging him. I imagine there is a different explanation for you guys being kicked.

Crosshairs were on, and we originally spotted him as we moved towards Cherno and from 1000m I saw his tag. My mate was already in Cherno, and when I said roughly where someone was, he then spotted him and said that he was practically looking straight at him. He was expecting any moment to hear a thwack as it were as he got shot. And seeing how easily I picked his nametag up, and how my mate picked his up, I presume he saw.

Can't see any other reason for us being kicked, as we were simply wandering around.

Gotta be smarter than him. Log on another low pop server, then climb the industrial building. Hide up there where he wont see you log in. Then log in on his server and pop around the corner and kill him before he has a chance to kick you. Easy peasy japaneasy!

it makes me sad to see a server admin advertising ghosting :(

it makes me sad to see a server admin advertising ghosting :(

ghosting is meta-gaming. meta-gaming is encouraged by rocket himself.

well, i belive i have seen rocket mention eve online and the kind of meta-gaming we are doing there whit spies and infiltrations.

however we do not server jump in eve online.

well, i belive i have seen rocket mention eve online and the kind of meta-gaming we are doing there whit spies and infiltrations.

however we do not server jump in eve online.

neat story

instead of being immature point me to where rocket says that ghosting is a cool thing

Edited by kaindebuddy

Um, show us the link to where ghosting is allowed.

Can't believe you would suggest it is OK to ghost.

instead of being immature point me to where rocket says that ghosting is a cool thing

i don't have to. it falls under the blanket term "meta-gaming".

Um, show us the link to where ghosting is allowed.

Can't believe you would suggest it is OK to ghost.

it's allowed because it's possible. it's not honorable, but it isn't hacking either.

• Like 1

it's allowed because it's possible. it's not honorable, but it isn't hacking either.

it is allowed yes, but admins should follow by good example should they not?

it is allowed yes, but admins should follow by good example should they not?

no, admins are not there to make sure you behave honorably.

why the fuck would you even think such a thing?

no, admins are not there to make sure you behave honorably.

why the fuck would you even think such a thing?

Rocket's plans on server hopping - "The main server logs when you login and logout. If it detects you doing this too many times in a short space, it will warn you when you login. If it continues to detect this, then it will punish you by killing your character."

Rocket's views on alt+f4ing/disconnecting to avoid death - "I don't know why, but people are assuming that I think this is part of the game.

It's not. I posted in a thread that was talking about that, that META-GAMING is explicitly allowed. I.e. infiltrating teamspeak servers and groups etc..."

Rockets views on server hoppers - "I have a well designed and tested mechanic for preventing server hopping. It's quite simple and very effective.

However, it is disabled currently as it places slight strain on master server and we're currently removing that as much as possible."

Why Rocket hasn't fixed server hopping yet - "Tartantyco raised the valid issues around server-hopping. They're accepted issues. They're not super high priority because the priority at the moment is things like people not getting into the server and direct chat and other very serious bugs. Once these are fixed, this kind of thing will be explored."

You might want to read the "Rocket Said ...." sticky before pretending to know what the mod's creator has decided as "ok" and "being a douche."

• Like 2

^^ thanks, looked for this earlier but couldn't find it.

Server hoping/ghosting is never okay.