Sign in to follow this  
Dariooo

Can you get banned for using a custom skin?

Question is in title, I am just wondering because I have seen multiple people using cool skins like the joker and Chuck Norris I want to put one on myself, is this bannable?

Probably. It aint a game mechanic so...

It is a game mechanic, go to you're arma profile and you can edit it and use an in-game or a custom installed skin. However some servers don't have custom files enabled, so that means you can't join with a non-vanilla skin but you won't get banned for it.

How do others see custom skins if they themselves do not have the files? In other games, to be seen in the skin others need the file. So does this make people invisible to those without the custom skin file? If so it is a hack of sorts.

I'm currently using a skin with camouflage facepaint, it helps dramatically when wearing Camo Clothing, and even my hands aren't as visible when wearing a Ghillie suit. It's in the ARMA II base files and is really no more of an exploit that using a black guy skin to make yourself less visible.

How do others see custom skins if they themselves do not have the files? In other games, to be seen in the skin others need the file. So does this make people invisible to those without the custom skin file? If so it is a hack of sorts.

Not exactly. It only changes the appearance of your head and forearms, your silhouette is still fully visible and even with a zombie skin (right there in the profile menu) you have a cap, backpack and pouches to distinguish you from zeds.

Edited by _Gunslinger_

Cool, im making a transparent skin

Wont work,Still shows you're gear bro. Only Changes you're skin like hands head. etc

How do others see custom skins if they themselves do not have the files?

If someone uses a custom skin in multiplayer the skin gets distributed to all other clients via the server. Same for custom sounds (I'm not talking about sound mods but the short sound samples you can replay via radio commands). That's also why some servers have a size limitation for these.

Other peoples' custom skins and sounds are stored in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\players (that's on Vista, note that the "\ArmA 2 OA\" part might be different on your computer).

Some servers will boot you if you have a custom skin, however there are many in game skins (and glasses) you can use without fear if you edit a text file in "my documents." That's how players make themselves black or give themselves face-paint.