thoxon

underground bases, hatches and key cards

With the implimentation of underground bases in the stand alone, I thought it would be cool to if everybody needed a key card to access it. Simply wondering around and looking for a hatch in the woods shouldn't be all that is required to get you into someone's underground base (This is pretty much how tent cities are found and exploited now).

I propose a key card system. Every player who creates an underground base has their own unique key card. In order to gain access to their base, you must obtain their key card by killing and looting their body. After so, you will have (for arguments sake) 24 hours to discover the hatch to their base, and loot it's resources. After 24 hours, the key card is reset back to it's owner.

The original creater of the underground base can make copies of the key card for their friends or clan mates. So, each clan member will have access to the base, and the responsibility of holding onto the key card for dear life.

What do you guys think?

Edit. key cards should also be stamped with server i.d.'s, so you know which server their base is on.

Edited by Thecolours
  • Like 1

We're playing in a age with no electricity, You expect Keycards?

No keycards please. Keep things low-tech. padlock and key maybe, or a vengeful dog to protect against strangers ...

I'm not for underground bases at all. Survivors wouldn't have the means to power up an excavator and start pouring foundations or buttressing subterranean tunnel systems.

Maybe a wood/sandbag/wire fence type bunker compound, or if a voxel editing option exists for maps, maybe some shallow caves but I hope they don't implement underground.

Like the idea of underground bases, not so keen on the key cards for the same reason mentioned above lack of electricity being available in keeping with the realism aspect.

Rocket has said in past interviews that he wants security systems, hydroponics, and air conditioning for the underground bases. So, there goes your no electricity theory.

Rocket has said in past interviews that he wants security systems, hydroponics, and air conditioning for the underground bases. So, there goes your no electricity theory.

Find a generator and keep it gassed up. Of course underground bases stocked with supplies would tempt even me into banditry.

Gas powered generators?

Keycards may be a bit much, especially with the time limitations to find the cache. I'm more in favor of having to hide a chace andsecure the area around it versus simply having it be locked - finding and raiding tents is a big part of the fun.

The gist of the underground bunker idea seems to be underground bunkers would be placed, and then you go in through pretty much a manhole, and then you're inside an instanced 'bunker' area.

If opposing people are around these entrances, it seems to me like it would be pretty much a firing squad situation on either side of this doorway. Walk through either way, and you're on a giant bullseye. I'm having trouble imagining good gameplay on something like this.

As to 'keys', I'd be fine with them if there was also a satchel charge universal key option. This is obviously assuming duping has been fixed before this is implemented.

I love the thought of underground system and the opportunity to build it out and implement electricity through a generator of some sort. I know a lot of people like to build up a tent city and such. It's too easy for someone to just happen across your hard work and take whatever they want. At least with a key (not necessarily a key card) then a bandit would have to work for the loot. Say the bandit would have to stalk the person, find out where his underground ditch is and when the time is right, kill him and take his key to get inside. Then when the player has to create a new character, they can chance trying to go back to their bunker to gather any belongings that haven't been looted before venturing off to another remote area to build a new bunker. Either way the player should spawn with a key that is specific to his character and any bunker he chooses to create. Or maybe every bunker to start off with doesn't have a key. Maybe you can have to find a lock system to apply to your bunker before its able to be locked. Just as along as in the standalone, all this glitch garbage is finished and you don't spawn back into the world missing your key because it's so glitchy...that would be annoying...

This negates the current humanity model & would encourage a return to the 'shoot on sight' mentality which in itself would discourage teamplay so I say no to this idea.

How would you as a player create a Key card system? That sounds pretty high tech, but then again in game i can single handedly fix a Huey.

I dont think the security systems should be high tech - if you have to hand dig a base into the ground i dont think you should be able to create Terminator sentries or laser guided missiles to protect it.

I am really intrigued as to how these bases are going to be created. Shit, i think the best most people would be able to come up with would be a hole in the ground covered with a tarp, secured by tripwire between two trees that rings a bell.

Maybe instead of creating a base we have to find one. The entry ways could be random like heli crashes and then lock to one position once someone lays claim to it.