proxyguy

The Truth - Tent Behavior Explained

There is one principle that can keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

Keeping forums exist partially as a way to distribute knowledge. Even a little knowledge is the difference between having your house burn down, and staying warm through the winter.

Some moderators on this forum, acting out of contempt for the members of this forum, prefer to take down information rather than trust people to gain understanding without harming each other. This blind, retching instinct to cast out any knowledge which requires responsibility and restraint from the beholder is nothing that belongs in a community of equals. This post is not a guide. This post is not an exploit. This post is information.

On to the post:

Often you hear people talking about item duplication as if it is a "hack," i.e. a script ran by a soon-to-be-banned client. While it is possible to create as many items as you want though scripting, that is likely to get you banned. There is a more common, accidental method of item duplication - Camping Tents.

Each tent on a server has a running or "current" configuration, and a written, or "saved" configuration. Each time a server starts, all saved tents are recreated, then populated with loot from their saved configs. The problem lies in the fact that only the Tent Owner, (the person who placed the tent,) can actually save the tent. (Even though sometimes other players are presented with the "Save Tent" dialog.) This means that if you find another players tent, take a can of beans, and the server restarts, there will be more beans in the tent. Doh! Item duplication.

You could even duplicate your own items by placing an item in a tent, saving it, removing the item, and waiting for the server to restart. This also makes robbing another players tent a more interesting affair, because the items will simply re-appear after a restart. They may never even know they were robbed.

This information is available in not so many words on the Day-Z wiki: "If someone other than the owner of the tent places items in the tent, the owner of the tent must save the tent to prevent items from being deleted if the server is reset." http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/Tent

Comment if this cleared up wonky tent behavior for you.

There is one principle that can keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

Keeping forums exist partially as a way to distribute knowledge. Even a little knowledge is the difference between having your house burn down, and staying warm through the winter.

Some moderators on this forum, acting out of contempt for the members of this forum, prefer to take down information rather than trust people to gain understanding without harming each other. This blind, retching instinct to cast out any knowledge which requires responsibility and restraint from the beholder is nothing that belongs in a community of equals. This post is not a guide. This post is not an exploit. This post is information.

On to the post:

Often you hear people talking about item duplication as if it is a "hack," i.e. a script ran by a soon-to-be-banned client. While it is possible to create as many items as you want though scripting, that is likely to get you banned. There is a more common, accidental method of item duplication - Camping Tents.

Each tent on a server has a running or "current" configuration, and a written, or "saved" configuration. Each time a server starts, all saved tents are recreated, then populated with loot from their saved configs. The problem lies in the fact that only the Tent Owner, (the person who placed the tent,) can actually save the tent. (Even though sometimes other players are presented with the "Save Tent" dialog.) This means that if you find another players tent, take a can of beans, and the server restarts, there will be more beans in the tent. Doh! Item duplication.

You could even duplicate your own items by placing an item in a tent, saving it, removing the item, and waiting for the server to restart. This also makes robbing another players tent a more interesting affair, because the items will simply re-appear after a restart. They may never even know they were robbed.

This information is available in not so many words on the Day-Z wiki: "If someone other than the owner of the tent places items in the tent, the owner of the tent must save the tent to prevent items from being deleted if the server is reset." http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/Tent

Doesnt matter when the tents are not saving the items anyway ;O

On to the post:

Some moderators on this forum, acting out of contempt for the members of this forum, prefer to take down information rather than trust people to gain understanding without harming each other. This blind, retching instinct to cast out any knowledge which requires responsibility and restraint from the beholder is nothing that belongs in a community of equals. This post is not a guide. This post is not an exploit. This post is information. Being re posted because it was taken down after 5 mins.

On to the post:

[user warned. -Max]

Edited by Max Planck
No 'multi-threading' please

Since your other post got deleted or whatever, explain what I posted then.

I can put or take whatever I want out of anyone's tent on my server and when I save the tent it saves and nothing comes back on a server restart.

Found a camp on the island full of supplies to repair the chopper with. So after the chopper respawned we raided the camp and fixed it up. I didn't have enough room in my inv so I dropped my as50 in the tent and took the chopper parts out and saved the tent.

I knew in 1.7.2.5 tents didn't save but I wasn't worrying about saving my as50 as I have backups in my own camp. So after fixing the chopper the server restarted and when I logged back in I went to get my as50 and it was still there just like when I saved it. Also all the chopper parts was gone that I had taken out.

Since your other post got deleted or whatever, explain what I posted then.

I can put or take whatever I want out of anyone's tent on my server and when I save the tent it saves and nothing comes back on a server restart.

Found a camp on the island full of supplies to repair the chopper with. So after the chopper respawned we raided the camp and fixed it up. I didn't have enough room in my inv so I dropped my as50 in the tent and took the chopper parts out and saved the tent.

I knew in 1.7.2.5 tents didn't save but I wasn't worrying about saving my as50 as I have backups in my own camp. So after fixing the chopper the server restarted and when I logged back in I went to get my as50 and it was still there just like when I saved it. Also all the chopper parts was gone that I had taken out.

I know that tents behave differently after their owners have died, needed to be accessed every 7 days, ect. The only thing I can guess is that after the owner is dead, the next person to "save" the tent becomes the new owner. Or perhaps anyone can save the tent after the owner has died. Its possible that the tent you used had a dead owner, and that affected its behavior, but I'm just speculating right now.

Interesting points mate but did this have to be posted in three separate sections?

Edit: Four posts in three sections...

Edited by SumoS

i think the post got deleted because we should NEVER explain a cheat/bug/exploit in a public forum. the only thing you will achieve is MORE people cheating. not want we want, do we?!

Interesting points mate but did this have to be posted in three separate sections?

Edit: Four posts in three sections...

No.. My first one got deleted and I slightly overreacted..

>_>

i think the post got deleted because we should NEVER explain a cheat/bug/exploit in a public forum. the only thing you will achieve is MORE people cheating. not want we want, do we?!

Are you seriously suggesting that we shouldn't discuss bugs in an Alpha version of software?

• Like 1

please stop spamming this dupe guide. :(

edit:

Being re posted because it was taken down after 5 mins.

yeah, smart. breaking the rules not only ingame but here too?

Edited by spliff

Well, our experience with tents differs.

Old tents (1.7.2.3) reload their old content each restart, regardless of saving (or who does the saving) and new tents (after 1.7.2.3) don't save anything and just spawn empty, regardless of saving (or who does the saving).

So I have to say, that this is not really clearing up anything, I even dare to say it's wrong...

I know that tents behave differently after their owners have died, needed to be accessed every 7 days, ect. The only thing I can guess is that after the owner is dead, the next person to "save" the tent becomes the new owner. Or perhaps anyone can save the tent after the owner has died. Its possible that the tent you used had a dead owner, and that affected its behavior, but I'm just speculating right now.

As far as I know and have seen, on 1.7.2.4 tents and vehicles was never a problem to save, only on 1.7.2.5 did I start having noticing problems.

Again, this is not the only way to dupe. There are ways to dupe without restarting the server or even using a tent.

Are you seriously suggesting that we shouldn't discuss bugs in an Alpha version of software?

yes. report those bugs to the developers directly, do NOT post them publicly so every kid can "try that out". you're making the situation worse, not better.

Edited by spliff

Well, our experience with tents differs.

Old tents (1.7.2.3) reload their old content each restart, regardless of saving (or who does the saving) and new tents (after 1.7.2.3) don't save anything and just spawn empty, regardless of saving (or who does the saving).

So I have to say, that this is not really clearing up anything, I even dare to say it's wrong...

I never played 1.7.2.3, but I've personally confirmed that tents in 1.7.2.5 save owner's content, and do not simply spawn empty. Tents are buggy as all hell, and dump their contents frequently.

Well yeah thats the stupid thing. The mods don't want people discussing it so more do it but these things need to be fixed! Not hidden under the carpet.

Again, this is not the only way to dupe. There are ways to dupe without restarting the server or even using a tent.

Yep - it's really easy, you don't need server restart at all. But won't post the method here, duping is plague to this game already and I lost interest just because of this.

• Like 1

Well yeah thats the stupid thing. The mods don't want people discussing it so more do it but these things need to be fixed! Not hidden under the carpet.

you don't get it; you as a player do not need to know all these bugs and how exactly to reproduce them. you CAN'T fix them. the developers can. so report those bugs to them, and nothing gets "under the carpet".

yes. report those bugs to the developers directly, do NOT post them publicly so every kid can "try that out". you're making the situation worse, not better.

I really don't think learning about how tents work hurts anything. Do you also think we shouldn't teach chemistry in school in case people "try it out?"

i will not discuss this with you. if you don't see why what you're doing is bad (and supposedly against the rules of this forum) there's no point in argueing.

Do not create duplicate threads.

Merged.

Nice. Now it has lost all of it's consistency. Clean it up as well please.