FanboyHunter

It Sounds Like It's Not Even About Zombies

I've been reading threads and watching videos while my copy installs, and they all have had one thing in common: there has been no mention of zombies. It seems like this is really just a PvP game and zombies are just an annoyance. It also sounds like there are a bunch of hackers and bandits who just kill everyone without question.

I'd like to have some fun playing with others, if any other new comers want to join or anyone has any server recommendations feel free to comment.

But is it really all about PvP?

This game will evoke emotion like no other I've ever played. Honestly, you got it right when you said zombies are just an annoyance. For the first few hours they are a problem for you but then you learn to deal with them and it becomes just another thing to give away your position to bandits. And yes there are MANY people that shoot on sight, some play purely to find other players and kill them, and then others that shoot on sight just go about their business and if they see you they will fire without asking questions.

The reason this game is tense in many situations is shoot on sight. It is rather boring if your only possiblity of dieing is a zombie, because unless you fail miserably, run out of ammo in a one exit building, or are brand new zombies are damn near harmless. The standalone (at least we all hope) will make zombies are more formidible foe because current ARMA AI is just not capable of the AI zombies need.

PS

Some friendly advice from a bandit that kills for fun with no worry about what your gear level, hell I won't even loot your body: if you are in a city do NOT stop moving unless you are in cover and then do it as briefly as possible. When I feel like sniping I only fire if I know I can hit you, that is almost always when you stop moving, even for a split second.

Edited by kayakinack
  • Like 1

um theres no point in killing zombies? waist of ammo for what at best can of food o.O. that can of food means u had to shoot him which brings players

It's not about PvP. But it's come to the point that no one trusts no one. & alot of people just play it to kill others. Armed or not...

Even I am at the point where I'll kill anything or anyone I come across since I've been backstabed so many times..

My last encounter, well the one I remember. I came into a building running in being chased by zombies. and some other guy came too. I had a pistol he had nothing. He looked frightened , I told him I wasn't gonna kill him. He ran upstairs , found a gun. Came down and shot me. Since then I vowed I killed everyone without questioning. Armed or not.

So it's up to you to decide how you want to play your game.

Pretty much PVP in the current state.. why? you might ask.. All the PVE stuff is broke,.. collecting parts for autos.. scavenging to save in tents.. Want to PVE some zombies.. why? there is no real point in going into town once you have a rifle and pistol.. hunting knife and matches.. except to pvp

As much as I myself have tried to avoid it for the past couple of months, the "Endgame" is all about PvP. The haves get attacked by the have-nots and the haves counterattack. In the end they both lose and end with nothing. As a philosophical or sociological experiment this is the only outcome I have witnessed. I have gone to great lengths to attempt to get people to work together only to have them all end in bloodshed and selfishness. It's actually still pretty awesome though.

congratz youve downloaded a murdersim populated by skiddies and social misfits that think dayz means kill on sight fuk all else. have fun dying dying dying and when you do manage to grab some gear and make your way north youll die again. see they are in the skies watching you, the birds man they follow you.

or the cows they will talk to you. or some dipshit will drop you from 100 feet in the sir and you will spend two whole days stuck in a coma wishing you jad never downlaoded the game.

but the mods free, you may end up finding other arma2 mods much more fun.

the core ideas nehing dayz were great, the first couple of months were awesome. but sadly its deevolved into a spawn, murder as many people as possible die re spawn rinse and repeat. it lacks any kind of um.... fun factor after a week.

dont know what plans are in store for the future but i much more enjoyed the game a couple months ago. now its die by super mike tyson carl lewis zombies.

cant raid the good areas, too many glitches from the additional crap they put in. cant keep your tents cant keep a vehicle. half the time you may spawn as far north as possible were you logged off, the rest on the beach and maybe youll still have gear.

it started out great, the mods steadly went downhill. but thats my opinion, other people love the game they are bandits they just kill everyone whos new until everyone else starts killing on sight. theres not much point in doing anything but murder the first person you see and each one after that. have fun! i will play until the server rental contract expires and hopefully some other game catches my eye, i still havent played dead space 2.

The zombies are pretty easy to deal with. A friend and I crouch ran through Cherno while under cover from common sniper spots, without agroing a single zombie. I don't actively seek out PvP, but I will attack people when attacked. What my goal is is to find wounded or new players and help them out, counter the banditry, even just a little.

Edited by HerrJon
  • Like 3

i disagree with just about everyone here..

for me this is still a zombie survival game..

play on Veteran servers (makes you harder to find for PVP players)

play on servers with low populations (again makes it less likely to bump into someone)

and finaly enjoy trying to survive as long as you can whislt foraging for food/drinks and ammo..

ive been playing like this for weeks on end and still not even close to seeing all the map or getting bored.

the game doesnt have to be about PVP, if you can make your own enjoyment out of whats provided.. thats the beauty of sandbox title.

just as a word of warning, dont get attached to your gear. you will lose it ALOT. and have to start over..

also be prepared to get killed via bugs/hackers and cheaters.. it happens thats theres basicly only 2 things you can do. either accept it and continue playing. or pack up and stop playing..

i refuse to give the hackers the satisfaction.. i play my way on my terms. sure ive been hacked/killed. but i pick up the peices and move on.

hope this helps..

ps if you see me in game dont worry i wont EVER shoot you.

• Like 5

Zombies can be a very large part of your game, depending on how you play. They are only found near settlements, which players avoid if they are not looting, so encounters can be completely avoided if you live in the wilderness. It is possible to survive out there completely self-sufficient as long as you don't get shot.

As far as bandits go, I try to be positive when I am killed, knowing that someone will benefit from the loot they steal from me or at least that they enjoyed blowing my brains out.

• Like 1

I think it's because zombies only are a threat to new spawned players.

If there were only zombies in the game, it will get boring pretty quickly. The tension of having to watch your back every damn second is nice in a way.

With zombies only, walking through Cherno is like a vacation. Just whistle and loot like a boss while zombies are not even paying attention to you.

With snipers trolling around you really have to watch the skies.

So yes. Zombies are props. They bunny hop around like they are part of the wildlife, and are as exciting as killing a goat for meat.

I don't know what the OP is going on about... Zombies/Zeds have been my bane since last week when I first starting playing this game. Zed's are the one's who have wiped me out as I've yet to die at the hands of a bandit/other "survivor". I had finally reached a decent loadout (map, NVGs, sniper rifle, 1911 handgun, plenty of medical supplies along with food/water) when I found myself de-synced only to return and be attacked by four roaming Zeds. They enjoyed gobbling my flesh no doubt and what they did with my gear I'll never know. I'm thinking if Zeds eat us they should be able to wear the loot they got off us.

Wouldn't that be cool to kill a Zed with a combat loadout? LOL! Score!

• Like 1

The zombies are pretty easy to deal with. A friend and I crouch ran through Cherno while under cover from common sniper spots, without agroing a single zombie. I don't actively seek out PvP, but I will attack people when attacked. What my goal is is to find wounded or new players and help them out, counter the banditry, even just a little.

My goal:

Once i find a weapon, and a surplus of food, will be to look for others who are unarmed, and give them supplies.

The fact is if you created a game with a thousand different things to do and one of them was killing other players, sadly the majority of players would prioritise killing other players above the other 999 things. Until this changes, there won't really be any 'new and original' games.

• Like 2

The fact is if you created a game with a thousand different things to do and one of them was killing other players, sadly the majority of players would prioritise killing other players above the other 999 things. Until this changes, there won't really be any 'new and original' games.

agreed, and those same people would say " this is a PVP, go play kitty isle. and GTFO"..

sadly as soon as a game has any kind of PVP, it instantly becomes its soul focus to the narrowminded..

• Like 2

Me and my group of friends are trying to be good guys, killing bandits and helping unarmed seemingly new players. Most encounters with unarmed people end in them killing one of us, and then getting killed themselves. I dont even.

But today was the first actual counter-bandit action we had. We were camping outside of Zelenogorsk, as it seemes to be the go-to location for supplies for everyone on our server. We saw a couple of noobs running around relatively unarmed, but out of the trees comes a bandit. With the bandit skin, we knew he was bloodthirsty. We tried to leave him alone, but he fired once at my friend, whilst still inside the woods. My friend ran out in the open, and sure, the bastard followed him. Unfortunately he had his M16 on full auto, and cut my friend down. I shot him in the head while he tried to loot him.

Poor guy though, he ragequit after that. Cant win everytime bandits.

• Like 1

I agree with Siberian. The game is what you make it. It doesn't have to be strictly PvP. The tools are there to play as you like and there are many who still choose to play the mod as a 'survival' simulator instead of a 'murder' simulator. Other players will always be part of the survival process but you can choose not to involve yourself in the wanton killing that seems to constantly take place and go your own way instead.

For myself, I have been playing for about 3 months now and have logged maybe 100 - 120 hours total playing time and I have yet to kill another player. This is not to say I completely avoid any populated areas and stick only to the wilderness either. I routinely raid some of the more popular areas like the NWAF, Stary Sobor, Cherno, etc... but I have learned to move in those area with caution and patience and not running around guns blazing. I have been killed on occasion but that's part of the game and I pick myself up and move on.

Survival is just as legitimate as PvP if you are willing to take the time to do it.

• Like 1

this game is not about zombies or PvP, it's about survival, zombies and PvP are just obstacles

• Like 1

PvP will always be just an addition. I've been backstabbed enough to know that you should never trust anyone, whatever they say. How you decide to play this game is up to you, but honestly, I find zombies a bigger obstacle than players, because when you learn to scout out places before you run in, then you learn to survive against people.

The mod is about gearing up. Finding phat lewt to fight other players over phatter lewt.

Same basic construct as most other loot-based mmo's. The progression is just sped up a lot. You can get multiple banks to store multiple sets of gear to greatly minimize the pain and fear of death, by eliminating having to start over again at zero.

There's even faction-grinding. You can grind the Bandit, or the Hero, faction and get a cool new tabard to show off... oops, I mean a cool new skin.

Edited by jonahcutter