Donkey (DayZ)

We've got it too easy

Do you understand what you're saying about the zombies? There needs to be 5 times more and 10 times more and all this other stuff' date=' yet...How do you plan on killing them? Two things will happen with 5X more zombies: 1.) Crawling EVERYWHERE making the game incredibly slow and boring, 2.) Dying every single time you need to go into town for food, every single time, since where do you plan on getting all this ammo to kill 100 zombies? How often do you have 100 bullets on you for every can of food you wanna go in and get? And with either of the two outcomes above, one thing is GUARENTEED- the game gets less fun. Whether it gets incredibly slow and boring or incredibly difficult to the point where it's frustrating/impossible, one thing is certain- it gets less fun. I know SOMETHING should be done, but I just don't think a million more zombies is the answer.

[/quote']

The solution to that? Work together. Everyone who wants to enjoy the game, will be nearly forced to cooperate. I believe that will help the "Shoot on sight". It might be more like, I really need food maybe this person can go with me into town and we can share some loot because I can't survive alone.

My problem with adding MOAR ZOMBIES!! to any significant degree has to do with realism.

Chernarus is a small Second World country with no settlement with a population greater than 5000. Not only that, Chernarus has gone through a war portrayed in ARMA 2. Coupled with the fact that many zombies have been killed by survivors?

Chernarus wouldn't have very many zombies.

Zombies SERIOUSLY need to be a bigger threat. There has never been a time where I aggro'd a zombie and felt scared for my life. My only thought is "Did that gunshot attract another player?"

Seriously, that doesn't make sense. This is a zombie game, make it zombie based

Simple: don't make prone crawling so invisible in an open field that's crawling with zombies and you won't have to add more zombies.

I think zombie spawns should be changed.

Rather than having zeds spawn in cities as players show up' date=' spawn HORDES (100+) in various locations. Then have two modes of aggro.

If a shot is fired, zombies from LONG DISTANCES will drift in that direction (not aggro'ed on the player). Maybe only half the horde will be in range and change direction while the others stay on their previous course. Or maybe zombies will simply drift in the direction of the most players (sense of smell?)

If zombies are within a few hundred meters, we get the frenzied zombies we see now.

Cities may have a few zeds here or there, or none at all. Seeing a zombie doesn't scare anyone. Seeing 50 zombies doesn't scare anyone. Not knowing if 200 zombies are going to rush out of the treeline and trap you in a building? FUCKING TERRIFYING.

As zombies are killed, spawn more hordes. There is no reason a server should have only 300 zombies, I don't care if the playerbase is in the wilderness, or concentrated around a few cities, it's a waste of server resources and my time to not be terrified of zombie hordes around every corner.

[/quote']

^^This. This would be sick.

Do you understand what you're saying about the zombies? There needs to be 5 times more and 10 times more and all this other stuff' date=' yet...How do you plan on killing them? Two things will happen with 5X more zombies: 1.) Crawling EVERYWHERE making the game incredibly slow and boring, 2.) Dying every single time you need to go into town for food, every single time, since where do you plan on getting all this ammo to kill 100 zombies? How often do you have 100 bullets on you for every can of food you wanna go in and get? And with either of the two outcomes above, one thing is GUARENTEED- the game gets less fun. Whether it gets incredibly slow and boring or incredibly difficult to the point where it's frustrating/impossible, one thing is certain- it gets less fun. I know SOMETHING should be done, but I just don't think a million more zombies is the answer.

[/quote']

The solution to that? Work together. Everyone who wants to enjoy the game, will be nearly forced to cooperate. I believe that will help the "Shoot on sight". It might be more like, I really need food maybe this person can go with me into town and we can share some loot because I can't survive alone.

True. But it might do the exact opposite of what your saying, and make people just shoot on sight even more often, since with more zombies, people REALLY wouldn't want to go into towns unless they have to. So the solution? Kill more players out in the woods where they're safe from a hoard of zombies that they don't have enough ammo to take on.

Still' date=' I don't share the opinion of OP. Dawn of the Dead (remake) is really the exception of all the zombie movies, namely that in most zombie movies the biggest threat is humanity itself.

Also, Dawn of the Dead is not really that much like DayZ. Don't think DayZ is a zombie game, it is a survival game in a post-apocalyptic background. If you want to see a zombie movie which suits the DayZ mentality better, I think "28 Days Later" would suit a lot better.

[/quote']

this

in 28days later, look how the humans acts in the military base. They are more dangerous than the zombies ,specially cause they want to survive

It should be that when you log in' date=' you know there's no hope, and there's no way you're sneaking into that town for some beans because zombies are bad ass and will run you down, and walking around by yourself means certain death. There's no way you're going to climb up on that hill and start cappin' fools as they spawn on the beach because you have bigger problems, and you're worried the Z's will come running.

Most importantly, when you see another survivor you think, "Thank God", and you know they're thinking the same thing because [b']the world's gone to hell.

Oh, if only the game played out that way.

The way it goes now is, you see a zombie and think, "Thank God, it's just a zombie and not another player!" Sad but true.

Agreed.

The game was actually really good to begin with. Then all the carebears showed up and the forums were flooded with-

Waaaahh wahhh! the night is too dark!

Waaahhh wahhh! there are too many zombies!!

Waaaahh wahhh! where are all the vehicles?!?!

Now it's just all about PVP. The first weeks of the game were great' date=' because surviving was actually a challenge. The night was actually something to be afraid of (flares had a purpose!). Now it's all just meh.

Rocket, if you read this - f*ck the carebears. This is supposed to be the zombie apocalypse! BRING IT ON.

[/quote']

If Rocket needs to take anything away from this, it's thus:

Ban people who use the word "carebear" as a derogatory

Realize it's the "hardcore" whining about nighttime/zombies because it puts something between them and killing people.

OP has restored my faith in this community. Exactly how the game should be played. Having to worry about whether some distant horde will be booking it to your position if you decide to shoot that guy with your Lee Enfield will make you really wonder if those beans are truly worth it. This idea fixes the "OH NOEZ ITZ CHERNARUS DEATHMATCH W/ ZEDS HURR DURR" we keep seeing everyone whining about, because survival will almost require teamwork. But it's not being forced upon you. Hence why this is where the game should be heading.

[/quote']

My problem with adding MOAR ZOMBIES!! to any significant degree has to do with realism.

Chernarus is a small Second World country with no settlement with a population greater than 5000. Not only that, Chernarus has gone through a war portrayed in ARMA 2. Coupled with the fact that many zombies have been killed by survivors?

Chernarus wouldn't have very many zombies.

Zombies don't stop at pre-apocalyptic borders. Russia lies to the north of Chernarus, so you've probably got quite a few Russian zeds who migrated south.

One thing that I think should be added is some random zombieness out in the wilderness. Currently, I can sprint through the woods non-stop without zombie-fear. If there was the odd zombie here and there, I'd have to travel a little more carefully…especially since any gunshot in the wilderness could put a bandit or two on your tail.

[/quote']

True. But it might do the exact opposite of what your saying, and make people just shoot on sight even more often, since with more zombies, people REALLY wouldn't want to go into towns unless they have to. So the solution? Kill more players out in the woods where they're safe from a hoard of zombies that they don't have enough ammo to take on.

1. Kill player

2. loot his corpse to find he's just as destitute as you are

3. starve to death

or

1. Kill player

2. Loot his corpse to find he has a rich cornucopia of beans

3. Get killed by the buddies he rolled with to gain this bounty

Put thousands of the things in the major cities and make it hell on earth.

Make the horde spawn point separate from the player location and tied to server instance.

Use the exaggerated wind drift from ace to determine zombie horde awareness.

The horde spawn moves with wind effect dependant upon player location, if nothing attracts it the movement becomes random.

Make the disease from Zeds contagious, eventually fatal, based upon zed concentration, dependant on said wind.

Pray like hell you ain't on the down wind side.

Hows that?

Now it's just all about PVP. The first weeks of the game were great' date=' because surviving was actually a challenge. The night was actually something to be afraid of (flares had a purpose!). Now it's all just meh.

[/quote']

I'd have to agree, I rarely if ever get killed by Zeds, my life averages around 4-6 hours and I usually always die at the hands of another player (last 6 times I could have easily killed them but tried to be friendly and got shot for it - pure PVP)

Zombies always spawn in cities (like frog spawn, not appear spawn) but I like walking dead where they migrate too. I think they should try making it so the zombies can run in buildings, that would make things harder.

Nights I'm not a fan of - I want to see a day cycle (maybe 2 hours of total night and 30 mins each side of that?) - in RL I'd be asleep anyway but then i have the option to head out at night if I needed to (And since every other instance of this game is sped up to ridiculous levels, (hunger, cold, etc) then why not make the day/night cycles to match.

Also I think I'd like items to be a little rarer. Sometimes I find map after map or matches after box of matches - When dayz first started it was like, "Wow a box of matches!!" You got reeally excited when u find something dumb like that. Now it seems this stuff is too easy to find (funnily enough in my lastest character I have yet to come across 1 backpack of any variety). Making items rarer makes it all the more a "yes!" moment when u eventually find something.

All these things can be made into server sided options of course. I say add all this in and let server operators decide how they want the game played because everyone has their own perfect version of the game and nobody will be satisfied. Adding options gets u closer and then u become a regular on that server because u like the way the game is played and the people on it (like the days of good clan servers where u would go to a server because u knew they played a good game and admin'd it well - yeah thank you gaming companies for killing off the community! At least arma keeps it alive :))

Pulse: 60

Pants: dry

Sweat: none

Small talk: say good afternoon to the zombie and walk past

Shopping: pick beanz and coke from the store

Wilderness: shoot wildboars and cook the meat on the campfire while watching sunset

Does anybody know a semi-realistic zombie survival game?

In other words BUMP for this topic.

Haha! That sounds almost just like Shaun of the Dead!

On topic though: the mod could definitely use some work in the zombie spawning system. I don't really enjoy the emptiness of the forests. You'd figure that if shots are fired in, say, Balota, zombies in Komarovo would hear them, and flock over there. The same goes for Pustoshka and Myshkino, the zombies would be travelling around towns, following gunshots. We would find them in the wilderness as they are "moving to the gunshots they hear," being a clever trick to enhance realism.

Agreed.

The game was actually really good to begin with. Then all the carebears showed up and the forums were flooded with-

Waaaahh wahhh! the night is too dark!

Waaahhh wahhh! there are too many zombies!!

Waaaahh wahhh! where are all the vehicles?!?!

Rocket, if you read this - f*ck the carebears. This is supposed to be the zombie apocalypse! BRING IT ON.

[/quote']

I remember scary Nights.

Well put sir. I agree, FUCK the currburr's Rocket.

Bring it on INDEED!.

I vote Darker Nights.

A Stamina Bar.

Weight Limits or weight to affect you.

A More intricate hunger meter to stop one from 'Steak-Blood bagging' A 'fullness' so you can't just eat and eat.

A stress meter (No one can see 2-300 deaths in 2 days and be fine with it)

Perhaps even motherfuckin Hygiene. Not washing would affect the stress meter. Not washing for long enough and you could hear flies. Even longer and you could get infections almost instantly if you get wounded.

Also It would be a neat Idea to limit the Respawn of Zombies depending on how many people in town.... So a group can hold down a town for their own as long as its properly stationed.

I remember scary Nights.

Well put sir. I agree' date=' FUCK the currburr's Rocket.

Bring it on INDEED!.

I vote Darker Nights.

A Stamina Bar.

Weight Limits or weight to affect you.

A More intricate hunger meter to stop one from 'Steak-Blood bagging' A 'fullness' so you can't just eat and eat.

A stress meter (No one can see 2-300 deaths in 2 days and be fine with it)

Perhaps even motherfuckin Hygiene. Not washing would affect the stress meter. Not washing for long enough and you could hear flies. Even longer and you could get infections almost instantly if you get wounded.

Also It would be a neat Idea to limit the Respawn of Zombies depending on how many people in town.... So a group can hold down a town for their own as long as its properly stationed.

[/quote']

5-star post

I look at it like this:

When I started playing DayZ it was because I thought I was going to enter a world of survival-horror based around so many of my favourite zombie films, where I'd be sitting in a cold sweat with a trickle of wee running down my leg as I tried to survive.

I got that feeling, but it lasted all of a couple of days before I switched on to how easy it is to survive.

The only time I've papped myself since was when I turned a corner and found myself staring into the eyes of a zombie.

More zombies spread out over the map and not just in the cities, with better reactions and greater line-of-sight detection would make the game harder and encourage more teaming up.

The only reason there is such a rampant bandit issue is because you can survive on your own. Once that possibility is removed, then you're going to need to be friendly to live.

I look at it like this:

When I started playing DayZ it was because I thought I was going to enter a world of survival-horror based around so many of my favourite zombie films' date=' where I'd be sitting in a cold sweat with a trickle of wee running down my leg as I tried to survive.

I got that feeling, but it lasted all of a couple of days before I switched on to how easy it is to survive.

The only time I've papped myself since was when I turned a corner and found myself staring into the eyes of a zombie.

More zombies spread out over the map and not just in the cities, with better reactions and greater line-of-sight detection would make the game harder and encourage more teaming up.

The only reason there is such a rampant bandit issue is because you can survive on your own. Once that possibility is removed, then you're going to need to be friendly to live.

[/quote']

Well said sire....

It is easy to Survive..... once you have a knife and matches you could survive invariably. (Does that word work there?) I think a limit on matches Would help. I think a 'fullness' meter would help from insta healing from cows. Stress meter would help.

NEVER EVER Take away the complete possibility of Solo loner. There WILL be loner's should an apoc like this happen. You can't change that Fact.

As for the Z's... Line of sight is good enough, What I would propose - More Damage, Fix the Building Exploit, Stop them from goin up ladders/opening door's - Add more of them - Add the possibility of 'turning' which would make a stronger Zombie? More Zombies in that Area? Also fix night and force it dark again or Lock settings on all servers to force loners AND groups to use light or stumble around at night.

Alpha Mode. Alpha Mode. Alpha Mode. Rocket is allowing us to help make this game. I read that Large Money's was turned down because Rocket did not want to lose Creative Control..... Respect that people. Respect it or we will get another game that flops because big companies try to appease ALLLLLL the crying kids to get ALLLLL their moneys. And fail..... Well honestly they WINNNN Cuz they get ur money's, you all just quit the monster that you created. R.I.P. SWG Pre-CU. (And any other games you know that were ruined because fails wanted to play and couldnt) I got off track. Gonna burn a J then Burn some Z's.... and I dont mean Nappin. ZedHead 2012

Most importantly' date=' when you see another survivor you think, "Thank God", and you know they're thinking the same thing because [b']the world's gone to hell.

Exactly!

Most importantly' date=' when you see another survivor you think, "Thank God", and you know they're thinking the same thing because [b']the world's gone to hell.

Exactly!

I beg to differ.... if my family is hidden in the forest whilst im strolling through town for supplies with my rifle and pistol and my Military pack..... and I see another man with a rifle and a pistol..... Im not gonna start waving saying "HEY MISTER! You friendly??" No.... Just no. I will think "This man has the potential to Kill me.... this would leave my wife and child alone in the woods in an apocalypse.... No more father." I would either kill that man should it come to such, or let him go.

We ARE NOT in an apoc but yet Women are raped Daily, Children as well. Murder's happen by the second. Crime's to vile to even talk about.

B.T.K.

Albert Fish

Ed Gein

John Wayne Gacy

David Berkowitz.

The nicest people are often the most dangerous.

When your life is on the line Survival takes over, Fight or flight my friends. Fight or Flight.

Now with what I said..... how do you know that man you saw wouldn't be me? A trigger happy punk ass 25 year old who don't give no fucks bout some dude across the street, I realize I haz tuh jump on Mr Oldie.... and If my eyes hold true..... Mr oldie has a sack full of food..... Man he's old anyway.... Do it Highguy.... Do it... Kill em *Shakes head* nooo noooo don't give in man, Call him.... (Dont call em! He'll kill you man) No he wont.... No we can be friends (He'll KILL YOU Dude....) Noooo Im scared I want a friend.... - the old man yells out - Hey You th *POWWWWW* A shot rings out over the fields.... Damn kid was to jumpy..... allz the old man wanted was a friend.... so did the kid.... After week 2 his brain was so jacked from stress and anxiety it got to em.

M.A.S.H. - Pierce, look up last episode (the fun loving one.... kills a baby =( )

Use Psychology my friends. Sociology. Look at us... We aren't a very nice species.

I recently spent 7 consecutive hours crawling through this game due to a broken bone and no morphine. (I looked EVERYFUCKINGWHERE, trust me.) It was like a giant conspiracy to get me to abandon this character I had put 20 hours into equipping.

The game is slower when you crawl everywhere, but not in a bad way. And it is anything but boring unless you're out in a forest in the middle of nowhere. Then, admittedly, it's a little tedious. You are in a constant state of "hurry up hurry up HURRY UP!"

But forays into towns for food and supplies become a rather epic game of cat and mouse. You know you can't run, so if zombies or players see you it's pretty much game over. You spend a lot of time observing and calculating, then moving and stopping and listening. When you hear a nearby gunshot your entire life gets put on hold until you can figure out whether you are safe or not in a friggin' video game.

And isn't all of this the reason we play the game? Aren't these the emotions we want to feel? Go ahead, crawl through Cherno or Electro for a few hours. Never once get up to run or crouchwalk, no matter what hapens. Let me know how boring it is.

I recently spent 7 consecutive hours crawling through this game due to a broken bone and no morphine. (I looked EVERYFUCKINGWHERE' date=' trust me.)

The game is slower, but it is anything but boring. You are in a constant state of "hurry up hurry up HURRY UP!" Forays into towns for food and supplies become a rather epic game of cat and mouse. You know you can't run, so if zombies or players see you it's pretty much game over. You spend a lot of time observing and calculating, then moving and stopping and listening. When you hear a nearby gunshot your entire life gets put on hold until you can figure out whether you are safe or not in a friggin' video game.

And isn't all of this the reason we play the game? Aren't these the emotions we want to feel? Go ahead, crawl through Cherno or Electro for a few hours. Never once get up to run or crouchwalk, no matter what hapens. Let me know how boring it is.

[/quote']

Sarcasmo..... I've read 2-3 of your replies..... I concur.

i just dont want to be forced to work with a group, i dont have a mic, work during the day. i just wanna lone wolf my way around and have fun without getting shot from so far away i dont even hear it.

- Make the zombies slower, more like the ones in The Walking Dead (a little bit faster probably).

- When you have slower zombies make them spawn more and in, as stated earlier, hordes.

- Hordes of 100+ zombies will slowly drift to the areas where the shots have been fired. And when you are spotted they will speed up a bit, but not much.

- When a horde approaches you should feel surrounded. If you are in the middle of a city you will go hide and do your best to survive. And since you have more time to get AWAY before the zombies approach you it should be WAY harder to actually get away from them once they are near. You will get hundreds of zombies coming in from all directions.

- For you people who have seen The Walking Dead should know what i mean. Picture yourself the scene where Rick is in the tank and sees no way out. From above you see that he is surrounded by zombies everywhere, and also there are hordes drifting from other places in the city. Here is a picture: http://myspideysenseistingling.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/zombies-converge-on-tank.jpg

If i could have found a more zoomed out picture you would see hordes of zombies all around the city slowly drifting to the area where gunshots had been fired.