savini

Human Element - DayZ Ripoff?

So I got my GameInformer today and was flipping through it at work when I came across a game called "Human Element". The article is mostly random shit about "what's up with the name?" "how big is your team?" "what is your philosophy?"...anyway. Eventually the title of the article becomes the focus of the interview.

Condensed quotes:

GI: "What can you tell me about Human Element?"

DEV: "The universe is set on this whole premise of, 'What is the greatest threat in a zombie apocalypse?' If you're conditioned with the entire zombie culture it's the infection, it's the zombies. But in reality, they're the walking dead. They're weak."

DEV: "The other survivors who are smart enough to kill you and take what they want and to threaten you and to do things like that. Think of this as a zombie game that isn't about zombies."

DEV: "It's much more about the human element"

Maybe it's just a coincidence, or maybe someone got a taste of DayZ and wants to rush out an IP ASAP. Either way. GameInformer Link

At the same time though I, and many others, have always dreamt about a zed game that focused on survival. Which is why I think DayZ has blown up. At the other same time, I don't know anything but basic math and whiskey :P

Sounds a little mass market, casual gamer, lowest common denominator affair to me.

But I'm an ageing cynic.

I don't know, it's kind of unlikely that a new IP could be pushed out that fast in response to DayZ. Although it wouldn't exactly surprise me.

Maybe the idea or the concept is "inspired" by dayZ.. but the game will be NOTHING like it. Its made by a CoD designer, will have different character classes. It will definetly have a huge HUD, player names over everybody..

Not to mention that it cant possibly be as unforgiving since its going to be played on consoles, tablets and even phones..

This will have nothing on DayZ

I don't believe the idea of a zombie apocalypse game that forces players to scavenge is new either, in fact I expected there to be a successful MMO of this style up and running years ago

Sounds more like a rip off of "The Walking Dead" TV show as the title actually is referring to the survivors.

I don't know' date=' it's kind of unlikely that a new IP could be pushed out that fast in response to DayZ. Although it wouldn't exactly surprise me.

[/quote']

It's Robert Bowling, aka Captain Twat. I'm surprised it's not coming out in two weeks time on a ten year old engine with a matchmaking system, on-disc DLC, no FOV slider and no mouse and keyboard support.

Note; I might be biased, if I wasn't I might say that DayZ might have had a small impact on this game, but it's probably not a 'rip off'.

Why does everything nowadays have to be a 'ripoff' or 'stolen'? The concept of the living dead has been around for as long as man itself, and zombies, even in their current format, have been around since the 60s and the days of Romero. Is every person that's made a zombie movie ripping off Romero? Nope.

Zombies seem to be really popular at the moment- just look at the Walking Dead, and hey! What are you on the forum of right now?- so in my opinion, this is just a game about zombies that just happens to focus on survivors. For the last 50 years, zombie movies have been just as much about the people shooting/running from/getting eaten by the zombies as the corpses themselves. I'm glad that, at last, we're beginning to get zombie games that focus on the people.

I'm not saying that this is gonna be an amazing game- for all I know, it could be awful- but just because things share ideas, doesn't mean they're ripoffs.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/04/23/robert-bowling-opens-game-studio.aspx

April 23, 2012

Robotoki’s first project, which will be revealed later this year, is slated for release on next-gen consoles, PC, and mobile devices (iOS, Tablet, Android).

Seems fairly legit. However;

“As a developer, our focus is on creating a universe first, experiences second, and game mechanics last"

Good luck with that. No one needs those mechanicy things anyway.

Why does everything nowadays have to be a 'ripoff' or 'stolen'? The concept of the living dead has been around for as long as man itself' date=' and zombies, even in their current format, have been around since the 60s and the days of Romero. Is every person that's made a zombie movie ripping off Romero? Nope.

Zombies seem to be really popular at the moment- just look at the Walking Dead, and hey! What are you on the forum of right now?- so in my opinion, this is just a game about zombies that just happens to focus on survivors. For the last 50 years, zombie movies have been just as much about the people shooting/running from/getting eaten by the zombies as the corpses themselves. I'm glad that, at last, we're beginning to get zombie games that focus on the people.

I'm not saying that this is gonna be an amazing game- for all I know, it could be awful- but just because things share ideas, doesn't mean they're ripoffs.

[/quote']

nope, it's a rip off for sure. Also BF3 ripped off Top Gun. For that matter there was a game actually called 'Top Gun' on NES that was a ripoff of Top Gun...I'm sick of games ripping off movies. It's silly and makes me sad face. Sillyness ensues in lieu of ripoffs of big time hollywood flickershows.

:P

Take it easy brotha. Wanted to share the article, and had to get peoples attention with some words I looked up in my thesaurus.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/04/23/robert-bowling-opens-game-studio.aspx

April 23' date=' 2012

Robotoki’s first project, which will be revealed later this year, is slated for release on next-gen consoles, PC, and mobile devices (iOS, Tablet, Android).

Seems fairly legit. However;

“As a developer, our focus is on creating a universe first, experiences second, and game mechanics last"

Good luck with that. No one needs those mechanicy things anyway.

[/quote']

LOL

How do you create a game without game MECHANICS?

HAHAHAHAHA

“As a developer' date=' our focus is on creating a universe first, experiences second, and game mechanics last"

[/quote']

How do you create a game without game MECHANICS?

You create a movie that, in order to continue the linear story, prompts you to hit a button on your remote control every other minute. If you get the timing wrong (this depends heavily on the genre), you'll have to rewatch the last scene and try again.