Sign in to follow this  
Jesters (DayZ)

Zombies are most likely the biggest threat..

well, since this seems to be a big deal, i'll put in my opinion, how i think it should go is slow zombies, like the building walking speed permantly, however, give the numbers a huge buff (pretty much as many as the system will allow at one time in a given area) and then make it so they're agro range is alot larger, that way you can sprint in and loot, or still take a semi safe approach (by increase agro range, i'm thinking keep the sound while walking roughly the same, increase some bullet sound, then sight range and such get a buff, along with a small radius that they will always detect you in.

also, health buffs, give them the same ammount as 10k blood, but make headshots do 15X damage or something

Edited by kody1190

Assuming zombies get nicely polished and run/attack like they should, and we still have 12000 blood, I'd like to see a hit from a zombie do ~1500 damage.

Bleeding should be MUCH rarer. How many time have you or a friend said "wow, bleeding on the first hit"

More than I can count. Bleeding should be like a 1/20 chance, and only at like <10,000 blood. But base damage should be much more

My thoughts

Assuming zombies get nicely polished and run/attack like they should, and we still have 12000 blood, I'd like to see a hit from a zombie do ~1500 damage.

Bleeding should be MUCH rarer. How many time have you or a friend said "wow, bleeding on the first hit"

More than I can count. Bleeding should be like a 1/20 chance, and only at like <10,000 blood. But base damage should be much more

My thoughts

Only if zombie numbers were increased. as it stands now even that wouldn't make them a threat.

The zombie count will almost never be as high as people want it, the server simply will not be able to handle alot of zombies. The test server a while back had maybe 1000 zombies and it was able to do well because their was not alot of player activity and most of them were just simply standing.

I'm seeing a lot of "i'm so awesome..." replies in this thread :rolleyes:

Zombies definitely see through buildings sometimes and will aggro through a wall then punch you through that wall. Sometimes they will aggro for seemingly no reason, sometimes they aggro on you from miles away because you threw something or used a hatchet. Today I got aggro from crouch walking on the other side of a tent at Stary at night. He ran around the tents to get to me and when I ran to lose him it aggroed a few more. The zombies are a lot more annoying after this latest patch than they were before, but they've been worse and they will never be the biggest threat in the game.

It doesn't matter how beastly you are or think you are, the zombies can get annoying, especially if you actually start over when you die instead of hoarding a bunch of gear in the woods.

Zombies don't deal enough damage, they are too slow, there are not enough of them, their detection range is way too low particularly when weapons are fired, they need to be fixed so they don't bug in forests and lose you easily, they need to be fixed so if they detect you at long range with a sniper rifle they don't stop going for you before they even reach you and they don't deal enough damage. The stats say players die from them much more than from other players. I have no idea why. The only time I have ever died to Zombies after my first 2-3 lives was when I have broken my legs and suicided to them and even then I had to try really hard to get them to kill me.

If you're just starting, the terrible AI pathfinding can confuse you (Zombies running far away from you before starting to chase you etc).

After a while you get used to it, I've just started sprinting through towns. Very fun scenarios can arise when you sprint through Cherno/Elektro with 30+ Zombies chasing you. It helps to know what kind of buildings you can enter (Zed's have to walk when they go inside), which buildings have more than 1 entrance, which buildings you can enter then just go prone in a corner and zed's won't see you and walk out again.

After a while the zombies are more of a nuisance than an actual threat.

Edited by El3utherios

The zombies are slower than ever, still can't walk in buildings, and can be lost in the nearest tree/building.

I'm not trying to brag, I'm just saying zombies aren't a problem for me as long as I have a bandage on me, otherwise they don't pose that much of a problem even if I just spawned fresh on the coast.

Right now the only "difficulty" posed by the zombies is an artificial, unrealistic, unauthentic, immersion-breaking "difficulty" that arises from their terrible animation and glitchiness. They need to be completely reanimated to movement that makes sense, before finalizing their AI. Once we get zombies that move, attack, and die properly, then we will be in a position to meaningfully tweak their threat factor (AI, speed, hp, damage, etc).

I can only hope there's a team at BI, right now, doing ragdoll physics and all-new motion capture for Day Z standalone.

All of this will be solved once the zombie pathing is fixed. They will run in buildings and don't run in strange zig-zag lines to you...

I don't believe walking zombies can be effectively implemented in an open-world first-person shooter. It doesn't work. It could only work if the game is all about walking through tight corridors.

Think about zombies only walking. You have 360° around you that you can go to. You can first observe from a distance. You can always run away from zombies. The only possible way for them to get you is if they get in a 360° circle around you and there is no way out. Think about even with a distance of only 20 meter how many zombies you would need. That would be a circumference of ~ 60 meters. If one zombies shoulder width is 60 cm, this would mean 100 zombies that stand perfectly in line next to each other. And now imagine that with 50 players, more zombies (because they don't build a perfect circle) and so on... You'll easily get > 10k zombies per server. It simply won't work and if you watch out where they're coming from there would be no threat. Currently if you get in any building, e.g. the church, zombies are no threat at all, you can just let them follow you. Only solution would be to create immense numbers of zeds, this won't happen.

Edited by DieBrotmafia

Flicking through some of the replies makes me wonder whether my DayZ is messing up, about 10 minutes ago I aggrod Zombie through the red lootable house, standing in the crouched stance he managed to get aggrod, not making any sound he still knew I was there.

as is they are pretty random as hell, if I die its usually early on when i only have one bandage and get bleeding twice or when im at around 9000 blood and get knocked out for like 3 minutes while they eat me.

So you basically want left for dead? xD

Fast but weak. - Jockey

medium speed/medium health. - All others

Slow but strong - Tank

Yeah, Left for Dead was the first game to implement different types of zombies. If DayZ implemented different types of zombies, it would be Left for Dead. Good call.

Edited by super cool kid

There should only be more zombies if they didn't constantly re-spawn. I only kill zombies if I have to because there is no bloody point otherwise. You kill one and the game farts out another one behind you. Adding more with the way the spawn at the moment would make them more annoying then challenging.

Also to the "should only walk" guys. Rocket has always said that the zombies are infected, not dead. They are still alive and they can run, see you from a distance, open doors and climb etc. The DayZ world uses 28 Days Later rules so live with it.

Edited by PoisonedAl
  • Like 1

Trust me, I had no problem avoiding Zeds before the previous 'Patches' if you can show me a video of sneaking through Elektro/Cherno without aggroing a single zombie, without proning the whole time. I'll give you.. Beans ;) But yeah, I do agree there is a way to sneak past them. Just proning through a city isn't exactly, efficient.

Yes I can. Just look at the looting Elektro vid from LivByTheGun on YT. You absolutely have to crouch, though. But you do not need to "prone all the time". If you have to do that, you're simply doing it wrong.