syfoor

Bring back the side channel

This should have been mentioned before, but i just want to adress this issue again, since i don't see this being on HOT list. When i played in non-hive servers, i think this feature really helped to socialize and find friends when you are alone. Maybe a better implementation, like ability to mute players or having several side channels or having an ability to create chat channels in server, would be nice, and haters couldn't say it's not realistic, cos it's just like carrying an expensive walkie-talkie with yourself. But i agree that it partially breaks the atmosphere of the game. Also, i understand this might be a limitation of arma 2 engine, so such ideas are impossible to work out. Any thoughts guys?

• Like 4

I do support the idea of returning the side-channel. It really helped with the kill-on-sight problem.

Though, it was removed because it breaks the atmosphere. (Like you said.)

From what I heard, you can re-enable side-chat by finding a Radio in-game. Though I've never seen one, and I've played since 1.7.0.

I started DayZ 5 days ago (bought Arma II just for this)

While I managed to learn and practice alone for a while, I then went on a server with side channel. This was totally cool, because for the first time I was able to ask on the server who wanted to make a coop and play with skype. This way I found two buddies with whom I play now regularly on the evening!

They agreed that without side channel this would have NEVER happen. I am certain I would be as lonely now as when I started. God bless that feature.

It was also a lot more fun because some players tried to trap me, telling me to come "at this location" which clearly was an ambush.

Also, I agree it makes the game less "realistic", but for god's sake, just give us a damned talkie-walkie, radio or whatever can help side channel to be back.

Or, more simply, give the players who want it the opportunity to deactivate side channel messages.

Some players don't like it, so it is removed for everyone?

Damned... This was a good step toward less dumb PvP and more talkative and roleplayed events, even if they could end bad.

I TOTALLY SECOND SIDE CHANNEL TO BE BACK.

Edited by Thadeum

Actually you can mute a player by pressing "M" and choose "players" on the top left. Now you see a list of the players on the server and surprise there is a mute button.

and if server doesnt have nametags enabled, good luck finding who is talking in side chat

Edited by Frozen

Actually you can mute a player by pressing "M" and choose "players" on the top left. Now you see a list of the players on the server and surprise there is a mute button.

We are talking about side channel, if it should be here or not, not about muting individual players.

If the side chat were to come back it should be text only and maybe limited to x messages per minute.

No thank you, completly ruins the atmosphere. You're supposed to feel alone in the wilderness, how do you do that with idiots spamming the side chat?

Radios will be added at some point, if anything, side chat should only work through that. Only people with the radio turned on and on the same frequency should be able to read/hear what's being said. Only way this is gonna work, in my opinion.