Ikar (DayZ)

Scripted helicopter chrashes

I think it would be great if helicopter crash sites don't simply pop out in the enviroment, instead they could crash into the ground with a short scriptet scene, maybe with a short radio message

Edit:

I'll wrap up the ideas to quote them into another threat about helis

1. does it fit into the lore:

[..]

And about that "this is a zombie apocalypse where there are only survivors and no army"... well there are survivors, who do find helis and fly them, u dont need to aks for the reasons or the background story, as we are all providing it: everyone who flew with a chopper for fun, to kill or have fun with friends did provide a background story for why there are ppl flying around.

the defeat of an army doesn't involve that every single solider is already dead. there can be survivers along for a few reasons:

- the helicopter wasn't at the base while a zombie attack.

- the soliders managed to flee from the attack.

- they are deserters.

2. why they crash:

One of the crew member is infectet with the zombie virus and attacks the other's this results in death of the pilot and the rest of the crew. there could be a radio message like a sos message:

[...] in the message could be a communication between the heli crew in which some of them turn into zombies and attack the other crew member and infect them.

[...]

the/ a message can trigger (with a 40 50 % chance) when the helicopter crashes

3. why should they crash:

[..] loads of servers restart the game only to respawn the crash sites. maybe the crash sites could be reseted every few hours or something, and the new heli(s) could get the animations

4. where can they crash:

at the moment they can crash there were they actually do, at plain terrain:

[..] it lands in predetermined places much like they do now

5. how do they crash:

[..] Scripted helis [may fly] around chernarus ( make it very rarely if u want ) that dont contain any npcs, but crash somewhere [..]

The aim: people would see a chopper fly around, get in cover as it MIGHT be a group of players who are up to shooting everything up theyll see below, or it MIGHT be on of the scripted helis crashing so -> worth running towards where hes flying and maybe finda crash site with nice stuff. Of course it might aswell be a group of players that crashed, so youre never really sure [..]

They will "loose" controll of the chopper and crash. there will be a few scriptet animations controlling where they crash into (see point 4)

so what do you think about this idea.

Edited by Ikar
  • Like 5

Doesnt fit in the game at all.

Simply because there is no active army in the 'story'

• Like 1

Then where the hell do helos in the game come from ?

Outter space ? :/

• Like 1

i thought about this too and this is where the radio message comes in: in the message could be a communication between the heli crew in which some of them turn into zombies and attack the other crew member and infect them.

i dont wan't a active non player army. but i'd like to see realistic world to survive in

Edited by Ikar

In DayZ, you arrive on the coast long after the apocalypse has played out. Those dead soldiers have been dead for days, and represent the last resistance. Nobody's left but you. There are no chopper missions flying now, no convoys travelling, nothing but what you can make happen.

I don't think it'd workout well honestly.

Loads of bug fixes like landing on unreachable places, killing people within 200m, etc.

you don't have to fix landings on unreachable places you simply can "land" them there where they now pop up already at flat terrain. and a helicopter crash won't kill people within 200 m and there is also no need to create new explotions you simply drop military helicopters on a skripted line ending at the ground where they explode and leave the crash site

I don't think it'd workout well honestly.

Loads of bug fixes like landing on unreachable places, killing people within 200m, etc.

they could make it so it wouldnt kill you on impact, and so it lands in predetermined places much like they do now

Good idea, but as I know, all the crash sites appear right after server restart, so I guess at least they could add smoke that coming from the crash site for like 5 minutes, instead of scripted events if your suggestion will be hard to code.

In DayZ, you arrive on the coast long after the apocalypse has played out. Those dead soldiers have been dead for days, and represent the last resistance. Nobody's left but you. There are no chopper missions flying now, no convoys travelling, nothing but what you can make happen.

the problem is then that helis simply pop out on your travels out of nowhere like they are beamed in there from outta space.

edit: forgot that the helis only spawn on server restart nvm

Edited by Ikar

but that could be changed to, i mean loads of servers restart the game only to respawn the crash sites. maybe the crash sites could be reseted every few hours or something, and the new heli(s) could get the animations

where did you read the story? im still writing it, and so are you. yeah id love to see a chopper or plane take about 2 mile to crash. the amount of players en route when it finally did would make a great set up. not just that but some NPCs could parachute out and kill or be killed/recruited by players.

I think this is a great start for adding more action into the game.

I would suggest an altered version: Scripted helis flying around chernarus ( make it very rarely if u want ) that dont contain any npcs, but crash somewhere ( increase number of possible crash sites ( not amount of total helis ) )

The aim: people would see a chopper fly around, get in cover as it MIGHT be a group of players who are up to shooting everything up theyll see below, or it MIGHT be on of the scripted helis crashing so -> worth running towards where hes flying and maybe finda crash site with nice stuff. Of course it might aswell be a group of players that crashed, so youre never really sure ( make the heli fly in a straight line as if it is up to a destination far away, because imitating player-controlled hovering would be hard and reveal if its a script or real )

And about that "this is a zombie apocalypse where there are only survivors and no army"... well there are survivors, who do find helis and fly them, u dont need to aks for the reasons or the background story, as we are all providing it: everyone who flew with a chopper for fun, to kill or have fun with friends did provide a background story for why there are ppl flying around.

zombies cant fly helicopters.

Then where the hell do helos in the game come from ?

Outter space ? :/

The "Cherno-russians" were getting over run as were the Americans who came into assist the Russians, so the British came in via a sea invasion (It was also an extraction to get all remaining survivors out of Chernarus), the helicopters crashed due to infected on board of them whilst in flight, thus the zombie survivors and gear you find at the crah sites are mainly British, the whole invasion/extraction was a failure leaving the rest of the people in Chernarus to fend and fight for themselfs (That's why you're a survivor). There's my view on the lore, you sir, enjoy it!

i thought about this too and this is where the radio message comes in: in the message could be a communication between the heli crew in which some of them turn into zombies and attack the other crew member and infect them.

i dont wan't a active non player army. but i'd like to see realistic world to survive in

No. By no active army I meant to point out that the army has been defeated.

You wake up on the beach, In a world that had died. No hope, no help. Just try to survive.

The idea is that the heli's dont pop-up (which they certainly don't) but have been there the whole time, before you stranded on the beach.

zombies cant fly helicopters.

thats why they just crash :D

adding crashing helicopters into the game will make reaching a crash site more thrilling, because you can be sure that other player know the position at least roughly... and the fact that you hear a helicopter will also affect your experience, as i think in a good way^^

Good idea, but as I know, all the crash sites appear right after server restart, so I guess at least they could add smoke that coming from the crash site for like 5 minutes, instead of scripted events if your suggestion will be hard to code.

That is already the case.

No. By no active army I meant to point out that the army has been defeated.

You wake up on the beach, In a world that had died. No hope, no help. Just try to survive.

The idea is that the heli's dont pop-up (which they certainly don't) but have been there the whole time, before you stranded on the beach.

actually they do pop up, when the admin restarts the server for respawning the crash sites but player will hardly notice it, as nobody can be on the server.

i think it couldn't be that bad if the game plays a bit with your feelings like giving a short time of hope, and then you find out there is nobody left alive, then you see spots where could be other survivor or people who help you and ther is no living man again... you know it just would make the world a bit more realistic, if the game doesn't at least give you the feeling that there is hope it could get boring.