Blakorr

just tried lingor island

so i've played lingor island for a few hours over the last couple days and i'm really liking the map. i guess i'll just put my thoughts down in bullet points

• hacking is a lot less common. i played for 4 hours on a server with 35 people yesterday and there were no attacks by scripters at all. i spoke to some other people who were playing in the server and they also noticed that there are far fewer cheaters on lingor servers.
  • the terrain is much more interesting than in chernarus. chernarus is basically forests and open fields. lingor is a bit more varied, even though it's a smaller map. it's got rainforests, fields, swamps, rivers, and the geography seems to be more hilly and mountainous.
  • the buildings are better. all the different types of lootable buildings you see in chernarus are included in lingor, along with a ton of other buildings that are unique to the island. a vast majority of the buildings are lootable, where as only a few of the buildings in a typical chernarus town can actually be entered. in addition, there are some unique locations like a prison and a racetrack.
  • The cities have better layouts. It's hard to explain. I like how there are airports on the outskirts of the largest cities.
  • zombies run at a reasonable speed so you can actually engage them out in the open without having to worry about wasting ammo. their pathing is still wonky, though, so it's not a sure thing and you will still take hits if you try to stand your ground outdoors.
  • as the map name implies, you are playing on a large island. this gives it two advantages over chernarus. first, you spawn anywhere along the coast. but since the coast goes around the entire map, spawn points are spread out better and there isn't a concentration of freshly spawned players in one area like what you normally see in cherno and elektro. the other advantage to playing on an island is that vehicles and camps can't be placed off the map in some remote location.
  • there are far more military loot spawns and they are spread out pretty evenly across the map. the advantage to this is that it prevents one specific area from attracting a ton of bandits and becoming a pvp zone like NWAF or stary sobor.
  • global and side chat are still implemented. i know that there are people who are against having it (i'm on the fence), but it does enable people to coordinate and team up. that means...
  • people are friendly again! i like my banditry in moderation. i teamed up with a total stranger this afternoon and we fought zombies and looted a town together, which is something i haven't done since june or so. chernarus' player base has gotten jaded and everyone is hostile. i have a feeling that eventually the community in lingor will devolve to the shoot-on-sight mentality that chernarus has, especially if a lot of the people who contributed to the pvp mindset jump ship and try playing lingor. but i'm optimistic and i really hope that it won't happen.
  • if you're a hardcore survival player who tries to avoid all player contact, you probably won't like this map. it's harder to stay in a remote corner of the map because there is no corner of the map. and lingor is less than 2/3 the size of chernarus.

anyway, those are my thoughts about lingor. i'd like to hear what you guys think of it.

Edited by Blakorr
  • Like 3

How i can play lingor mode dayz? is there any official websites for this mode?

Source: Google

Sounds very interesting, I saw some videos and kinda wanted to try it out but I'm still making up my mind about it.

I think Rocket mentioned somewhere that community made maps were something he was looking forward to. Perhaps Lingor Island is what we could call a "first prototype"?

EDIT: How awesome would it be if people around the world started making maps after their own locations? That'd certainly add a nice spice to the whole "survival" aspect, bringing closer to home so to speak.

Edited by Deathcall

There are many community-made maps for Arma 2; Lingor is one of them. If DayZ opens to these maps, the variety will be interesting. For the maps, just go to the Armaholic website.

There are many community-made maps for Arma 2; Lingor is one of them. If DayZ opens to these maps, the variety will be interesting. For the maps, just go to the Armaholic website.

that would be awesome if dayz did open up to more maps. also, i'm pretty much convinced that an island layout is the best basic design for a map for the reasons i listed in the first post.

Last week I played at Lingor 9/10 times... It's SO MUCH FUN to engage battles inside city but with cover. Be at top of a 4 levels building watching the movements of a town. Even a small village can be fun, because it have at least one 3 level buildings two 2 levels buildings and a garage, with industrial loot.

As every city you have cover, it's hard to a kiddie with his .50 to hit you when you'r fresh. Some times you can teamup with some one 10km away, using side chat . In my opinion, the map is better to survival and pvp. The only problem is servers. Almost all I tried become slowly at night, even with low ping, so the hardware isn't so good as official dayz servers

I reply to some points... I left plain DayZ by a while now, while im playing exclusively Lingor by some weeks.

- Unfortunately the cheaters are more (in number) for a couple of reasons: first almost any server has his own HIVE so they aren't much scared to be banned (they could play elsewhere), plus the game is faster so those cheaters (usually kids/retards) are enjoying it more. But (and this is the positive aspect), since acquiring the gear is tons easier than Chernarus, and since you have a separate account on each server, dying by a cheater isn't a big trouble: you switch the server or you collect the gear very fast (most of the time, that's the funniest part);

- Yes the terrain is much more better.. maybe because i got bored so much of Chernarus, anyway for PvP it's great. Plus the buildings: you can enter into 90% of them, no more fake houses and stupid virtual objects.. you can interact with everything.

- Ppl are friendly: not much, but yes.. more than vanilla DayZ. In fact i found myself as the "bad guy" most of the time... since i kill on sight, in more than one occasion i've found ppl asking me "why?" (that's a no-sense question if placed in chernarus.. eheh). Yesterday ive found a guy in a boat, he took me up (we were both armed with AK) like it was "normal" (try it in Chernarus..), then we followed our own routes after a while... and after 1 hour we meet again, but this time for some PvP (where i killed him..), it was great! :)

PRO: new map; custom/different game modes (in certain server you spawn with a weapon in example); admin decides how to admin their server (no more nazi-rocket stuff); no server hop (there's nowhere to hop.. except some few private hive networks with more than 1 server);

CONS: amateur servers (some of them cannot cope the traffic);

Sorry to say, Rocket and all DayZ developers do not support Lingor Island or any private hive servers. All threads about it get locked and deleted.

It sucks but that's how it is. :c

Played it with a couple of my clan mates , and it's such a big map ( my view ) but its only 2/3 of cherno , i was really suprised its probably because the platform makes it look like its a big map , good map but i rate it 9/10.

i've actually found a few lingor servers that share a hive. they've got TK in the name or something like that.

Sorry to say, Rocket and all DayZ developers do not support Lingor Island or any private hive servers. All threads about it get locked and deleted.

It sucks but that's how it is. :c

yeah i can understand their point of view for not wanting private hives, but i don't get why they're against having dayz on maps besides chernarus.

Dling now do I need 1.7.2.6?

Installing Lingor island is so easy using DayZ Commander. Just select install and it will download the lastest version.

Moved to Private Hive Discussion

EDIT: I see Max moved this to Off Topic when we clearly have a Private Hive section. Maybe I'm off my nut but contact me Max if you have a problem with this.

Edited by UbiquitousBadGuy