Sign in to follow this  
Square Milk

Is there any humanity in DayZ

I have been playing this game on and off for a few months now. My friend and I are usually always together and I have yet to find a SINGLE person who did not instantly start shooting us... We just recently got a bike and motorcycle and I went out to get fuel. Needless to say I got gunned down on a server with about 3 other people no where near a coastal city... With the most recent update and removal of Global Chat I know people have become even more hostile but... Is there really anyone out there who does not try to shoot people on sight? I am not looking for people to meet up with or work together with, I just want a sign that there is some kindness left in Chernarus.

This game isn't about kindness, it's an overun Zombiefest, Kill or be killed my friend.

• Like 1

There is humanity left in this sad little Chernarus, it's just hard to find sometimes. Sometimes I stop and wonder how many people I've walked by, who have seen me, but let me go simply because they didn't want to kill. Sometimes, I think back on all the people I let walk silently by because I didn't want any trouble.

Then, there are the times I recall those brave souls that lent a hand--killing zombies or lending a morphine, and still others for whom I have returned the kindness.

Not everyone on this game is a paranoid lunatic--some of us truly want to simply kill zombies and rebuild.

Edited by Baelethal

Friendly players exist but they are as likely to run the opposite way as you are to avoid dying. You'll meet them eventually but until then make sure your figure is on the trigger just in case...

Just a thought... meeting players at the trade events might be a good idea.

There's a lot of nice people. I've had mostly good experiences in this game, and while I haven't had the opprotunity I'll try to keep it going by helping someone if they need it.

And yes there are people who kill you for your stuff, but that's a part of the game. People get into DayZ knowing there are bandits, and still get mad when they're killed by one. It just happens, you have to learn to go with it.

• Like 1

I try to be friendly but it's hard now with this stupid bandit skin I got from self defense.

Yeah, that is a major problem... Someone in a Huey was flying over a buddy and I and his door gunner was firing on us. Despite their best efforts they couldn't get us and ended up crashing the heli in the middle of the NW airfield... we ran over there to see if anyone was alive and one guy continued to fight us so I killed him. Clearly provoked I now had a murder and -250 humanity. :( I guess I don't look that friendly in a ghillie suit though..

• Like 1

Well, I was bringing back some parts today for a car, and I stumbled upon a person who must have come to the gas station where I was out. I called out friendly after 3 seconds (cause I had to switch to direct chat) and he didn't shoot me, I thought I had a friend.

Thought.

Then someone shot me in the back when I went back to get the windshield I lost. Silly me.

Then, there are the times I recall those brave souls that lent a hand--killing zombies or lending a morphine, and still others for whom I have returned the kindness.

Not everyone on this game is a paranoid lunatic--some of us truly want to simply kill zombies and rebuild.

There are few like us..... We may die many times but try to stay human. If you ever see Squaremilk or FM_bomb_Saw send a message. We will lend you a hand if needed.

I only kill sometimes, I'm a Sniper so i usually camp near Cherno to clear it of Zombies and stop bandits (I know you will come looking for me xD) I use AS-50 and i have a tent full of Ammo and food, what about you guys?

it's hard to notice if someone didn't shoot you

finding friends ingame is of course a bit difficult, i mean, do you know that you can trust them? many state that they just shot down some guy they played with for hours here in the forum. so don't take that as "being friendly"

i often had a chance to shoot, but i'm no professional bandit, so i didn't want to risk my gear, and i had no need to kill - some other time, i just ran into a building just to stand infron of an AK pretty much aimed at my head, i stopped and and slowly reatreated aiming at his lower body; could have been lucky and he was out of ammo or he didn't want to make the first shot

but well, that was some time ago with less than half of the players now ... could have changed ;)

Anyone with the TMW tag should not be killing on site. We are Medics and our calling is higher.

If I saw two dudes gassing up a motorcycle that I did not know I would go prone and hide in a bush til they left, perhaps I would try some D-chat but I assume its KOS so, I would hide.

Anyone with the TMW tag should not be killing on site. We are Medics and our calling is higher.

Maybe more players like us should start wearing these tags... I will keep an eye out for TWM in the future.

I try to be friendly but it's hard now with this stupid bandit skin I got from self defense.

You don't get a bandit skin from "self-defense", if they shoot at you first you don't lose humanity for murdering them, or a bandit kill. The only way you lose humanity is if you shoot first and kill. So yeah. You deserve that bandit skin. Welcome brother.

Edited by Zooks

Plenty of good people. I run into a lot actually. Only recent fight I had was over a miscommunication.

I was actually in Zelenegorsk when some guys in a UAZ saw me in a church and were driving around running over zombies outside honking their horn. Asked if I wanted a ride. I politely declined. One guy came in and chatted with me and killed the stray zombies coming in. They said they were going to NWAF and I wished them luck.

I found another poor guy in Elektro, total noob. Gave him some pointers and ran off after he gave me the can of food I needed.

I try to help people cause I'm trying to get the hero skin, but I usually play on non-populated servers which makes it extremely hard. I'll usually move if the player count goes over maybe 20-25. Any more than that and you're pretty much guaranteed to run into someone eventually no matter where you go. My humanity is at 3250 right now and I just updated to .5 this morning which brought back humanity. I'm thinking of starting a medic service or joining up with a group to be their medic for a while.

I shoot when necessary and I still have a pretty good Humanity score. You learn to read people; what they're armed with, how they're moving. A guy with an AK-74 running down the middle of the street in Elektro is dangerous but avoidable; he's either a dangerously clueless newbie or a fresh spawn with a 'nothing to lose' mentality. If they approach me I'll shoot. The guy with the Winchester 1866 that crouch-walked into the back of a shopping center? He's on his toes, expecting trouble, but he's probably there for loot so I'll leave him be. The enormous .50 cannon that's sticking out of a tree? Show no mercy.

• Like 1

Try hitting the servers marked "Veteran." I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but every good experience I've had with a random that doesn't shoot on sight has been in a "Veteran" server. I don't know if it shows that in the server name on SixLauncher, but DayZCommander shows which servers are "Veteran" and which are "regular/noobie" servers.

And stay near the coast or in the cities, where people are. You'll have a better chance of running into a friendly rando looting through a city. No, I'm not trolling.

I'm usually friendly as long as I'm not threatened. I'll only shoot in self-defense or if someone keeps pointing a huge gun at me and doesn't answer "Friendly!" messages in direct communication.

But when traveling with my squad we shoot on sight for role-playing purposes. So in case you'll see me alone, I'm safe to approach if you announce "Friendly!". In case I got more guys with me, better don't and hide. ;)

BUT: When I'm alone and I see someone camping Cherno/Elektro or another place with a sniper rifle, I'll shoot on sight. Chances are he either is a bandit waiting to kill other survivors or he might just shoot me out of fear if he sees me. Wouldn't be the first time...

I was looting inside an apartment in Cherno tonight when I saw another survivor approaching the entrance. I leveled my shotgun at the door and said "Don't come inside" over VOIP. The guy asked if I could hear him. I repeated my warning, and then he said he was leaving. I kept the door covered for another five minutes, then I left.

That's all the humanity I've been able to muster so far.

Its hard to trust people, sometimes they say "Friendly" and when you let them get in your building, they shoot you .... Anyways i got my hero skin for healing my friends and killing zeds with hatchet, quite good weapon. :]

thing is most most people who are friendly you don't see, couse they stay away from other people..

so most of the people you stumble upon are not friendy just for the reason they can't shoot you from very far away