Sign in to follow this  
GenTronSeven

Extraordinarily lucky break

So I bought ARMA earlier today just to try this mod.

I died 3 or 4 times, and really got discouraged after finding a tree stand and finding a shot gun just to get killed by zombies.

I read a lot of comments about how everyone just kills each other on site and so decided that I should acclimate myself in a low population server, figuring that the best chances of looting without getting killed by a sniper was there.

I came into a new server when it was totally pitch black out.

I wandered along the coast and figured that nobody else was around and so I was using the flashlight.

I go and loot a few building in Elektro, including the church, the hospital and the building that looks like an office.

It turns out that there WAS a sniper there waiting for me. I start to go into this factory looking building and there is a sniper with a bandit headband on!

I am pretty sure he noticed me, too, but then he gets mauled by zombies!

I hide for a bit and then loot his corpse, taking a map, GPS, matches, an M4A1, night vision goggles, a range finder, and numerous other goodies!

Couldn't believe how lucky I was.

Any ideas what I should start doing now that I have most of the items I need to survive?

Am I better off staying in the pitch black night time servers since I have night vision?

What is next in the game? I didn't get a chance to learn anything before taking this stuff.

• Like 1

Stay low, stay dark, keep those goggles on but remember the worse snipers have them and night vision guns too. Keep low pop until you are more experienced. Well done and welcome to dayz. Also, enjoy the stuff while you have it. You will lose it all and many times, if you are lucky. So just enjoy it and don't get too disapointed when you lose it. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Rule one of DayZ: You will lose your stuff. Once you get passed that, just learn the basic mechanics of the game and have fun. And even if you die, its not "Perma" death, as you can earn all that stuff back. Not easily, but it's not impossible.

m4a1 is not a sniper, find someone to play with on forums youll hold on to your items longer, (M4A1 and ak is easy to get btw)

m4a1 is not a sniper, find someone to play with on forums youll hold on to your items longer, (M4A1 and ak is easy to get btw)

AKs are, but I haven't seen an M4 in ages.

usually snipers on low pop servers aren't all that experienced either, that or they are on their "home server" re gearing or playing with clan members.

generally snipers like to kill players (duh) and have a much better chance at seeing players on mid to high pop servers.

if you get shot at by a sniper on a low pop server you can usually run away performing a serpentine maneuver and you're good.

None of those guns are easy to find if you never visit deer stands, or military bases. Then it's a lot harder, and the fire station is often bare from previous players. :thumbsup:

Heh - love it that zombies aren't really a threat, until you turn your back on them and start thinking 'zombies aren't a threat'.

Got some great gear myself after waiting for Zs to do their thing.