Sign in to follow this  
Rocksteady (DayZ)

Various NPC's, Traders?

When it comes to needing a blood transfusion or finding items you don't want there's really no way to get help or trade said items unless a friend logs in, 9 times out of 10 if the person that want's to help or trade is a stranger they will just shoot you in the face then loot your corpse, the better your gear the greater chance of that being the case. Heck people will kill you for a tin of beans in this game and that's actually a good thing, it adds risk and fun to the game and anyone can be a potential threat.

So my suggestion

Several random NPC spawns in the various towns or even in the more remote areas. Having there spawns random and in several different locations will make it harder for bandits or other players to camp them and kill players but not prevent it entirely.

Prices and tradeable goods could be affected by Humanity rating, Food and general supplies would be in higher stock and cheaper for Heroes while certain ammunition and weapons could be cheaper for bandits or something along those lines.

This could also be combined with the crafting system, finding specific items or materials could be traded with NPC's in exchange for other goods.

NPC's and there available goods could also be randomly decided based on location, an NPC spawning in an industrial area might have vehicles parts or fuel for trade while an NPC in a military zone might have military tools and ammo.

Some hostile NPC's would also add more to the game, It's doubtful that every single human in the area either turned or died. Certain boarded up houses should have hostile or friendly NPC's inside that may shoot you or offer refuge based on humanity rating, or not. They don't necessarily have to kill or injure players themselves as avoiding random bullets from nowhere would be difficult, they could just be threatened by you and shoot in your direction or use flares/nades to aggro zombies towards your location.

I'm don't propose anything like MMO's or RPG's. They should all spawn in protected/boarded up buildings and have limited contact with players like the NPC that helps out if you grab him some cola from the store in Left 4 Dead. NPC's like that would make the game more realistic, aid or hinder players and add game immersion.

Edited by Rocksteady

DayZ is suppose to be about player interactions, not interactions with an NPC. Besides, putting NPC's that do something vital that only another player can do to you removes the incentive to work in a team.

This game facilitates player interactions within a somewhat dynamic open world. Replacing player interactions with bots removes the need to rely on other people. Scavenge, loot, kill, deal.

• Like 1

my standard response to these threads:

"dayz is all about player-player interaction. NPC's would ruin this idea."

• Like 1

DayZ is suppose to be about player interactions, not interactions with an NPC. Besides, putting NPC's that do something vital that only another player can do to you removes the incentive to work in a team.

There is little to no incentive for team work in Dayz between strangers. The goal is collecting items/weapons and when hunting others players is the fastest and easiest access to items you need, team work is pretty much goes out the window, certain items that stand out like backpacks and gillie suits make you a target to anyone on a server that spots you and anyone you see with such rare gear is a target for the same reasons.

NPC's might be a bad idea but something needs to be changed so that killing other players isn't always priority number 1 in terms of gear. Nobody seems to care about zombies , exploring or survival in this game because the time invested isn't worth it. You can spend several hours travelling across the map collecting everything you need then get insta gibbed from 1600m away or you can run straight to town and kill someone in 10 minutes.

i think you should go play warz my friend it has experience bars and skill trees, and you can create multipul characters and there are safe zones and npcs that you can trade with so you and your friends can have gay sex with in those safe zones. You can trade items and guns for condoms so when you do have gay sex with your friends it will be even safer so your character doesnt get aids, but dont worry if your character dies or gets aids you can make multipul ones :D yay for making it easy 2 survive the zombies!!! yay!!!

Edited by th3rdparty

You missed the part about not wanting anything like an MMO or RPG. Maybe if you were more focused on reading the thread and not so focused on gay sex you would have noticed, you ass tickling cock bandit.

I agree. All you could do with an NPC you can do with a real player. NPCs destroy a bit of teamplay.

You missed the part about not wanting anything like an MMO or RPG. Maybe if you were more focused on reading the thread and not so focused on gay sex you would have noticed, you ass tickling cock bandit.

no i just suggested you should play warz because in that game you can trade and have gay sex, i just thought you would like that from reading your post.

not the gay sex part obviously i mean who doesnt like gay sex?!!?!? u sum sort of homo phob?!?!?

Rocket's said there will be no NPC's in this game , he wants to focus on player interaction and emotions that players feel from those interaction

ex: being really nervous about asking for a blood transfusion from a stranger and the general sense of distrust .

However as far as blood goes right now cooked meat provides that for you .

I just want to point out that animals are an npc that provides items valuable to player survival. I think throwing in some random NPC bandits that shoot back inside grocery stores would liven things up a bit. It could also prove to result in funny encounters among players who hear shots.

I feel that implementing tools that promote these kind of ideas with real players would be a great idea. Involving NPC's outside of zombies/animals is something Rocket has clearly stated he is not going to do. However, if there are some tools or ideas implemented that helped players do these kind of things on their own, that would be a better place to start.

Edited by wtfosaurus

I just want to point out that animals are an npc that provides items valuable to player survival. I think throwing in some random NPC bandits that shoot back inside grocery stores would liven things up a bit. It could also prove to result in funny encounters among players who hear shots.

Exactly, random encounters like that have no effect on player interaction, all it does is make the game world seem more realistic and add immersion.

Static NPC's located on the map that are there every time you login would cause problems, but locating or finding a rare and random NPC would be no different to finding a rare tool or weapon.

I wouldn't even mind if NPC's had no trade or hostile functions, Just having them randomly pop there heads out of a boarded window telling us when the infection hit there town, how they've been surviving or even giving a few tips such a telling us there might be a weapon in the big barn at the end of the road.

The game seriously lacks immersion, it's just an empty world with zombies and pvp atm

These are my thoughts:

If NPC's were added, DayZ would not even be fun to play. It would be the exact same as an RPG, DayZ is a sandbox game, and one of the reasons I play it, is because I can do whatever I feel like, and there are no restrictions.

Straight up answer: No.

Peeps, just let this thread die in peace, it had a good life even if brief and full of rejection... let it die in peace.

naa

louis, theres literally more threads debating this then there are stars in the universe, let it die in peace or take it to your grave.

I know people love to just say "no", since Rocket knows what is best for his game. I could see certain server like ones in "Counter Strike" that use mods to make their server original. So with this idea, it would have to be created as a server downloadable mod to at least test out on some servers, and see how it goes from there. There are many ideas out there that may or may not improve the DayZ experience, but there should be the option to join servers with different mods attached to them.

I know people love to just say "no", since Rocket knows what is best for his game. I could see certain server like ones in "Counter Strike" that use mods to make their server original. So with this idea, it would have to be created as a server downloadable mod to at least test out on some servers, and see how it goes from there. There are many ideas out there that may or may not improve the DayZ experience, but there should be the option to join servers with different mods attached to them.

.. Your saying introduction of mods, or NPC centred missions basically for specific servers?

I dont like that idea at all, anything to do with NPCs infact,

NPCs breed game mechanics that have been fully explored for the last decade in MMOs.

This isnt just loving to say no, surely youve been on this forum long enough to of seen this debated inside out?

Edited by 3rdParty