Sign in to follow this  
fickers

DayZ Standalone: features I'd like to see in the game.

Do you ever recall the time when people actually hesitated when got you at gunpoint? When people didn't shoot everything and everyone they saw at first sight. when DayZ was a Zombie survival game and not a sniping deathmatch with a zombie survival minigame. I don't know about you, but I at least would like to get back that feeling of survival, teamwork and "DON'T FUCKING SEE ME, DON'T FUCKING SEE ME" when just a few zombies pass you by.

Anyway I have a few suggestion for the standalone title, which in my opinion enhance the overall experience.

3rd person perspective: Remove the 3rd person view. Why? When you see through the first person perspective it will automatically strengthen the feeling of being part of the game. It will make the game scarier and more horrifying. Being a "realistic" zombie survival game it is granted that it's not a walk in the park when engaging a city, it should be both scary and tense, which current version of the DayZ mod lacks.

Forming a team: The standalone title should heavily focus on the asset of teamwork. Grouping up and forming a team should be the key to survival, not an easier way to add 3 more kills to your scoreboard. Sure, you could team up in the current version of DayZ, but the game doesn't encourage you to do so. The zombies are tremendously easy to both kill and do little damage.

Creating a more tactical experience: A feature I'd really love to see in the upcoming title is heavy focus on tactics. Throwing trash or rocks in order to clear path, separating zombies from group, one by one in order silently take them down with a melee weapon. Adding so that the zombies actually have to look at you in order to spot you would be a great improvement from today's DayZ mod. For those of you who have played the horror game called Amnesia, you know the feeling when an enemy is nearby. A mix of adrenaline and fear, if DayZ tries to capture that feeling it wouldn't be anything but successful.

More character customization: creating a more advanced character customization would be a neat feature, being able to change your character to your liking I'd image would please everyone. Cause, seriously. Even in Russia I don't think everyone is wearing the same exact outfit.

Encourage to build a camp: Being able to build and upgrade a camp/ safehouse would also be a way too prevent people from struggling to find something to do. Being able to constantly upgrade your camp and raid others I would be a great pastime.

Upgrading the graphics: Just do it.

This is of course just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'd also love yo hear your thoughts.

• Like 5

I don't think that removing 3rd person would be a good idea at all. There are plenty of terrifying games that are in the 3rd person perspective. A good feature like being able to choose between the two shouldn't be removed. Everything else makes sense except for the tactical experience you're talking about. First they don't have to look at you because, as you know, they can also hear you. I agree that they need to capture more tension between zombies and the player, but Amnesia is a hard comparison because the environment and way in which you play that game is completely different than DayZ.

I know of none truly terrifying games which chose to go for the 3rd person perspective. Yet, I guess having the opportunity to choose isn't all that bad. Yeah, but even if they heard you they shouldn't be locked on you. They should turn in the direction of which the sound came, and IF they see anything they should engage. For the Amnesia part it perhaps was a bit harsh comparison. Not being capable of fighting back is.. Well... Amnesian's charm.

• Like 1

1. Don't force me to play how you want which is in first person OP, I should be able to choose between the two.

2. You do realize that the zeds in Day Z were never meant to be there in the first place so there are going to be issues.

3. I would like to see more character customization for sure.

Womb Raider, I do understand that the zombies weren't meant to be there. Yet, I'm just saying they are poorly made, don't get me wrong. All hail the guy who made them.

To all the players saying don't force me to play in first person, I really find this stupid because you are effectively forcing a lot of players to play in third person right now, why? Simply because the majority of servers are third person and when filtering the dayz version, pings, the amount of players on the server (I only play on high pop servers) there are not that many servers left. Frankly when I looked for servers today on the dayzcommander client I could not find a single server that was running first person only. Even if I did it doesn't mean the server will be a good one where I don't have to be dragged down by bad fps.

+1 for OP ALL your ideas are great. Oh and the graphics will be better in the standalone (RV4>RV3) and there will most likely be base building as well :).

• Like 1

i'm okey with most of it, but if you throw out 3rd-person-view, it kinda takes away from the games playability, as offten, players will hide in grass, and if you have ever hidden in grass, you will know that its impossable to see in there without poping your head out and becoming sniper fodder (in fact, that's why i avoid servers with expert difficulty set to ON, as the setting turns off the ability to use 3rd person view)

besides, i bet there are at least a few players that would feel a bit more comfortable being able to see there cherecter in such a eviroment, even if they can see perfectly in 1st person (for example, for players like me, the excessive head-bob makes me sick after a while, so i use 3rd person at all times when not ready to fight, and when i feel that i must fight, i swap to 1st-person-view so that i have a better idea where i am shooting)

so i will have to say no on the removal of third person view

I agree on all points, and i agree with you about third-person, although I think it should still be a server option. There are some people who enjoy it but it does have balance issues.

• Like 1

I agree and disagree with you fickers. I personally like the 3rd person and 1st person choice. The first person makes me feel misplaced and out of the game at times. It can make you unaware of how well your sticking out and of course bleeding. This game has many stealth factors, and most stealth games with AI that isn't awful is 3rd person. Most survival games and many horror games are in third person. Silent hill is known as a terrifying game (based on your opinion of coarse).

Also, the comment about making it like amnesia is a good one, but also a challenge. What make amnesia scary is not monsters themselves, but the fact that you are defenseless and the fact that your constantly running away from them. This means you never get a good look at them, and become scarred of these monsters because of the mystery behind them. (Im aware that story, music, character design and ect ect are also factors). Think of a game like dead space, at first your scarred to death of some monsters in that game, but soon you get use to the average monster, because you encounter them often. In order to achieve that factor that amnesia has would be very hard for a game like this, in which the premise is to encounter zombies often. But i do agree to some extent. I think the game could be a bit scarier in some areas. I just have no idea how to accomplish that, and if anyone can find a way to make it scary like amnesia I'm all for it.

I do agree with you though on some other factors. I like the idea of character customization. This could be a very cool experience when it comes to picking clothing for bandits and survivors. It could also play a part in the environment. If your out at night, it maybe smarter to where something black. If your in the woods, camo might be a good idea. And of course, I'd love to see ghillie suits again, whether you have to find them or not, i would still like to find them. And this also means if your in a Clan, that Clan could have a uniform if they wish.

Also, i can't agree more when it comes to teaming up. The game should some how reward people for grouping up. Maybe both sides could get rewards. If you have enough humanity points you could get something to benefit a survivor. Then vise versa, if you murdered enough people, you could receive something that would benefit a bandit. Just some ideas for you. And i also agree with the whole idea of having a base camp. I also think their should be more ways for you to set up your own camp. I like the barbed wire and stuff put it would be cool if we had more to play with. All in all, this is a great thread and you posed some great questions.

i'm okey with most of it, but if you throw out 3rd-person-view, it kinda takes away from the games playability, as offten, players will hide in grass, and if you have ever hidden in grass, you will know that its impossable to see in there without poping your head out and becoming sniper fodder (in fact, that's why i avoid servers with expert difficulty set to ON, as the setting turns off the ability to use 3rd person view)

besides, i bet there are at least a few players that would feel a bit more comfortable being able to see there cherecter in such a eviroment, even if they can see perfectly in 1st person (for example, for players like me, the excessive head-bob makes me sick after a while, so i use 3rd person at all times when not ready to fight, and when i feel that i must fight, i swap to 1st-person-view so that i have a better idea where i am shooting)

so i will have to say no on the removal of third person view

For your first part, that is exactly why there should only be first person, simply would make the game harder which is good. As for the headbob you can turn that off in the options... no reason to complain about that at all.

i like all of these OP, but i think 3rd should stay (even though i always prefer 1st person when playing games) for those who want it. Batman: Arkham City is 3rd person only, and it works well, so there's no need to get rid of it

• Like 1

Third person is good.

Yeah, I agree... its helps to give you a bit of perspective and situational awareness that you cant get in 1st person.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree... its helps to give you a bit of perspective and situational awareness that you cant get in 1st person.

And how is that good in a game that is suppose to be hardcore, gief more challenge this game is way to easy atm.

And how is that good in a game that is suppose to be hardcore, gief more challenge this game is way to easy atm.

i think that crawling around in forced 1st person would mean that there is grass blocking your view half of the time

IMHO 3rd person its just not for this game, seriously. Why? because currently u can see whats happening over a wall. If u are camping u can see if somebody is coming while they cant see you. do you want an example? Elektrozavodsk school/hospital roofs. A camper goes to the roof, lies down, 3rd person view, voila, I can see all goddamn elektro while the only ones being able to see me are the ones camping in the mountains. while i camp there in 3rd person mode I just have to wait for some1 coming to kill him by surprise. yeah u could say "irl u could use a mirror to look outside" yeah, make it a lootable item (would be really nice if we lack 3rd person mode in a future) but the survivor will still see that mirror; "irl u can have a fiber optic camera" ok make it another lootable item on high-end military zones. Then watching whats happening over a wall would be possible irl. "oh noob but you can hear the footsteps blablabla" yes u can hear but you still cant clearly see whats happening and if they are crawling you shouldn't hear anything.

Come on its supposed to be a fakin realistic survival zombie game with a lot of realistic thingys like u can lose an arm, if u get shot u must remove the bullet with something or it will infect/gangrene etc...

3rd person mode has turned the game much much easier.

Some guys said if u are crawling in 1st person mode u wouldn't see anything because of the grass, then the only disadvantage crawling has is the speed reduction, irl its also like that.

haters gonna hate "irl there are no zombies so fuk you"

Edited by DerrocK
  • Like 1

When joining a new server, players should spawn in at random location at the outskirts of the map. This would stop people from jumping from server to server in the airfield or when the choppers spawns until the fine good equipment or vehicle. If you are spawning into the same server, then it should be ok to spawn in where you left off.

Edited by majorc

Imon no 3rdpv. Just make it realistic. Ppl who won't agree can play the other game which is easier. I guess the only good point about 3rdpv is knowing how well you are hidden and I know you can find a sollution to that.

-If it ain't METAL... it's CRAP!!!

• Like 1

3rd person has always been part of ArmA/OFP and also DayZ. ArmA/OFP/DayZ was never only a first person shooter.

So the main reason to remove 3rd person, is because people who like 1st person more, join 3rd person servers and don't like it?

Edited by Dallas