Sign in to follow this  
CongressmanAlexShrub

Loot spawns should be coordinated with hive

The problem:

Too much high-end military hardware for being a zombie apocalypse. It ruins immersion.

It makes no sense that every other survivor you meet has a military weapon, and it makes even less sense that a lot of players have special forces gear from the west (50 cal snipers, silenced carbines, UK thermal scopes etc etc) considering that we are in Chernarus.

The solution:

Make loot Hive-based instead of server-based.

Check with the hive if it's ok to spawn for example a silenced M4. If thousands of players already have it as their primary, then it's maybe not a good idea to spawn it in the barracks since we are in fucking Chernarus.

Thermal goggles? Sure. Check with hive. No, 20000 players already have it, we already have enough for the tiny stretch of land that is Chernarus, spawn AK74 instead.

Rocket, are you reading this?

Dupping is a big issue. Yeah, Too bad this is a problem with ArmAII and Rocket has said he can't fix this unless ArmAII does.

Everyday I find myself with more reasons to wait for the standalone, but I wanna keep testing this mod before that happens.

• Like 1

IMO there would still be too much weapons and ammo even if there was no duping... I have been playing with my friend about a week... 2x l85 thermals, as50, 107, nvg and so on, with legit loots... the problem is the server restarts and there for the looting system, and weapons just have too high drop rate, even the einfields and lower class weapons found in grosery store everytime..really?

And ammo stockpiled everywhere... no need to think about wasting bullets, let it rain!

It would be nice if even the "noob" stuff would be rare finds..

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 1

i dont think you can really do the "let it rain" strategy with as50 or m4 camo sd... its not only nato ammo (best ammo for as50) its also stanag sd that is kinda rare. if you have no tents or vehicles to dupe it, you would rarely waste bullets for nothing

if there was no duping, it would be fine :)

Would not, it's way to easy to farm military locations. remove everything from a location, wait 10-15 min, repeat. So easy to get high in mil weapons, give me an hour at an airfield or berizeno and I'll be all set. Loot needs to be more spread out across the map and loot should have a random respawn b/w 1-3 hours to keep people moving in and out of cities/towns in search of new gear.

• Like 2

Would not, it's way to easy to farm military locations. remove everything from a location, wait 10-15 min, repeat. So easy to get high in mil weapons, give me an hour at an airfield or berizeno and I'll be all set. Loot needs to be more spread out across the map and loot should have a random respawn b/w 1-3 hours to keep people moving in and out of cities/towns in search of new gear.

Loot does indeed need more drop points and spawn points with specific item drop rates nerfed.

• Like 1

Agreed to all above.

@seeeB1

Well you are right, those are quite rare.. but then again they arent the only weapons in game, lots of other weapons for bullet rain... like DMR, m24, rifles with regular stanags, AKs... well almost everything else..

Edited by Zeppa

There are several problems

It's too easy to farm high-end gear.

Once you have high-end gear it never leaves the server.

The safest place to store high-end gear is far away from danger...which makes new players more likely to find it.

Solution 1: Have gear hive-based so that it checks how much gear has already spawned capping the overall amount of high-end gear.

Pro: Less high-end gear spawns.

Con: High-end gear disappears except for loot farmers no matter what server you play on.

Solution 2: Remove tents and vehicle storage so that players can only have access to high-end gear that they're carrying.

Pro: Impossible for more high-end gear to exist than there are players on the hive.

Con: Players will only look for high-end loot until they die.

Solution 3: Put loot on a 2-3 hour timer.

Pro: Slower increase in high-end loot than currently in place.

Con: High-end gear will still gradually increase and never go away.

.... track weapon ID's on the hive. Add Id's to database when spawned with loot. When you log in check your weapon ID's against the hives database. Not in the database? Duped or hacked in. Delete item, put players account under investigation. Problem fixed for duping.

• Like 1

Even if this was to work, this would be far more work then character creation and saving and massively increase the server load. Unless some programming genius turns the system into using a fraction of its current resources this just isn't feasible.

I guess OP was IB4 my post, not sure if it was before I said the same thing in multiple other threads though

Even if this was to work, this would be far more work then character creation and saving and massively increase the server load. Unless some programming genius turns the system into using a fraction of its current resources this just isn't feasible.

Here's my proposal, it isn't actually dynamic but based on daily updates. There would still be differences between different servers though because servers store what is in player storage and what is on the ground. Best way to have a real economy is to get rid of community servers IMO.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/83090-dynamic-hard-loot-caps/