ibux (DayZ)

Remove tents

My personal experience is like this: if I don't place some tents for myself, I'm afraid to die with the stuffz I just found(mostly from hackers). If I do place a tent, the gameplay becomes much more tactical. You feel like you have to guard it, and fill it with precious items.

Removing tents would be bad, really bad. Once I have good stuff, the only thing that's keeping me in this game are tents(and vehicles, but I don't see them very often).

My personal experience is like this: if I don't place some tents for myself, I'm afraid to die with the stuffz I just found(mostly from hackers). If I do place a tent, the gameplay becomes much more tactical. You feel like you have to guard it, and fill it with precious items.

Removing tents would be bad, really bad. Once I have good stuff, the only thing that's keeping me in this game are tents(and vehicles, but I don't see them very often).

If you don't have a tent, you're afraid of dying. If you have a tent, you're not afraid of dying and you spend your time guarding your tent and stockpiling it with loot.

That...just about sums up the problem with tents.

If you don't have a tent, you're afraid of dying. If you have a tent, you're not afraid of dying and you spend your time guarding your tent and stockpiling it with loot.

That...just about sums up the problem with tents.

If I DO have a tent AND I have stuff which it took me a long time to gather OR i'm in Day > 5 or so, I'm afraid of dying, yes. You see, for me this is not just a game like 'Gather some stuff, walk around like an idiot shooting ppls, and die afterwards'. There's a line of text which you'll see when you spawn and that's how many days you are alive. I find this the most challenging part of this game, not dying. And placing tents, making something out of DayZ, is part of that.

Edited by Papie

There's a line of text which you'll see when you spawn and that's how many days you are alive. I find this the most challenging part of this game, not dying.

Because you suffer no consequences for dying thanks to tents. You've made that perfectly clear.

Still the biggest problem with tents. Thanks for eloquently and honestly explaining why tents need to go for this game to get serious again from a first-hand personal perspective.

Because you suffer no consequences for dying thanks to tents. You've made that perfectly clear.

Still the biggest problem with tents. Thanks for eloquently and honestly explaining why tents need to go for this game to get serious again from a first-hand personal perspective.

I see the tent as a reward for people who play longer, and don't stay near the coast. After I die, it's always a 6km+ walk from there to (one of) my tents. Tents are a unique feature of this mod, and they need to stay. Not just to be removed because people feel they are not on an equal level with players who use tents.

Edited by Papie

Im new to dayz but have been waiting for a survival game like this for many years. I can see the validity of tents in the game but the fact their bugged is the real issue. Their is no major problem with having a tent to put some items in but the storage space in them needs severely cutting down. Allow the tents to maybe have a replacement rig out for a person but thats about it. a tent isnt a storage container after all.

If you limit it to this number it wont impact the game so much as if a person dies he isnt getting his gear off his corpse back unless hes very lucky and when he gets his spare rig out from his tent he needs to go hunting to replace that anyway so nothing will have changed on the survival side of it. It will just allow a little more of enjoyment for players rather than running around with no defences till you find a axe. Then after that if you die before you resupply your tent its time to go lumberjacking zombies till you get on your feet from scratch again

Edited by snickeye

I see the tent as a reward for people who play longer, and don't stay near the coast. After I die, it's always a 6km+ walk from there to (one of) my tents. Tents are a unique feature of this mod, and they need to stay. Not just to be removed because people feel they are not on an equal level with players who use tents.

You're rewarded for survival with an item that is more common than a crowbar and is more useful the less likely you are to survive? You said it -- you hate permadeath, so you need tents. How is admitting that you can't handle permadeath a sign that you are on a higher level? The real problem is that this attitude has created aboth a safety net and booster seat for the entire game.

You're rewarded for survival with an item that is more common than a crowbar and is more useful the less likely you are to survive? You said it -- you hate permadeath, so you need tents. How is admitting that you can't handle permadeath a sign that you are on a higher level? The real problem is that this attitude has created aboth a safety net and booster seat for the entire game.

I don't hate permadeath, I never said that. I just don't like being killed, especially by a hacker, after spending much time and effort into 'a life'. I don't need tents either, but they make life easier, and they are fun to use.

And tents more common than a crowbar? Don't make me laugh, man.

I don't hate permadeath, I never said that. I just don't like being killed, especially by a hacker, after spending much time and effort into 'a life'. I don't need tents either, but they make life easier, and they are fun to use.

And tents more common than a crowbar? Don't make me laugh, man.

"They make life easier" understandable. But why should it make your 2nd, 3rd, 4th life easy as well?

You also stated earlier that tents make life easier for people that don't stay here the coast, well they make life even easier for the people that do stay near the coast killing fresh spawns. im killing noobs, but if 1 of them does happen to kill me.... who cares i have my supply waiting for me on my next life.

• Like 1

Honestly without stuff like tents and base-building, Day Z would be much more boring. Since tents are bugged right now, I've pretty much lost every single tent I've ever placed within a day at most, and it really ruins the game. It feels like a really long and boring arcade game.

Spawn on Coast,

Raid Cherno/Elektro for stuff,

Go to Stary or NW Airfield for military stuff,

Go back to the city and pvp until you die,

Repeat.

Raiding for the same beginner stuff sucks, skip it with tents?

Edited by hungrycookpot

What about adding dynamic furniture to houses; such as cupboards, hackable gun-safes, deskdrawers, etc. You could only store certain items in each type of furniture such as only put food/health items in the kitchen cupboards, place guns under the bed or in the closet and hide a pistol in the nightstand.

From what I read in the upcoming arma 3 game will have destructible structures. If explosives are sort of rare in Dayz, then houses could be blown up but also fixable. This would give a reason for players to build a house back to normal and then store useful stuff in it as you sort through all the trash like tin cans.

What about adding dynamic furniture to houses; such as cupboards, hackable gun-safes, deskdrawers, etc. You could only store certain items in each type of furniture such as only put food/health items in the kitchen cupboards, place guns under the bed or in the closet and hide a pistol in the nightstand.

From what I read in the upcoming arma 3 game will have destructible structures. If explosives are sort of rare in Dayz, then houses could be blown up but also fixable. This would give a reason for players to build a house back to normal and then store useful stuff in it as you sort through all the trash like tin cans.

you can blow up some buildings and survivors with satchel chages in dayz also :)

"They make life easier" understandable. But why should it make your 2nd, 3rd, 4th life easy as well?

You also stated earlier that tents make life easier for people that don't stay here the coast, well they make life even easier for the people that do stay near the coast killing fresh spawns. im killing noobs, but if 1 of them does happen to kill me.... who cares i have my supply waiting for me on my next life.

I only place tents where I hope people don't find them. I don't stay near the coast, I've had enough Cherno/Elektro killing, and it became boring quite fast. Tents are a valuable addition to this game, they reward players who take more time searching for good stuff. If you choose not to use them, and then say 'Oh, now I'm at an disadvantage with people who use tents, so they should be removed', that just sounds silly. You want to force your style of playing onto others, imo.

I only place tents where I hope people don't find them. I don't stay near the coast, I've had enough Cherno/Elektro killing, and it became boring quite fast. Tents are a valuable addition to this game, they reward players who take more time searching for good stuff. If you choose not to use them, and then say 'Oh, now I'm at an disadvantage with people who use tents, so they should be removed', that just sounds silly. You want to force your style of playing onto others, imo.

I get it. You think I'm going after you because you're seizing on an advantage. That somehow we're jealous. That implies that you are special and have found a loophole to put yourself ahead of people. No, I'm going after you because you are incredibly common. Polling on this forum says you aren't the majority, but there are enough of you that you are supplying servers with gamebreaking amounts of easy loot they don't have to actually work for. You're a problem because there are TOO MANY PEOPLE JUST LIKE YOU.

Seriously, you're breaking the game. You're not the only one doing it, but you are the first person I have met who has admitted that they are doing it for the reasons the rest of us keep claiming that you're doing it -- to break the game. And that's why you have become a lightning rod. You are the first honest exploiter of external storage I have ever seen here and every time you say something you just prove why external storage needs to be removed from the game. You're not the innovator of tent storage, you're the poster child for why it needs to be stopped.

You want to force your style of playing onto others, imo.

And here we go...I'll just leave this here.

never said i dont use them. your right, i would be at a disadvantage if i didnt use them. and how am i forcing my style of play onto others? im not saying your a terrible player for using a tent. i would just like the game to be even harder.

this is a suggestion forum, and i made a suggestion. i didnt demand that everyone stop using tents, or else im quitting.

as i said before, i agree they are useful, there needs to be a way to store items, i just dont believe they fit the "permadeath" aspect of the game where your items persist from life to life.

I get it. You think I'm going after you because you're seizing on an advantage. That somehow we're jealous. That implies that you are special and have found a loophole to put yourself ahead of people. No, I'm going after you because you are incredibly common. Polling on this forum says you aren't the majority, but there are enough of you that you are supplying servers with gamebreaking amounts of easy loot they don't have to actually work for. You're a problem because there are TOO MANY PEOPLE JUST LIKE YOU.

Seriously, you're breaking the game. You're not the only one doing it, but you are the first person I have met who has admitted that they are doing it for the reasons the rest of us keep claiming that you're doing it -- to break the game. And that's why you have become a lightning rod. You are the first honest exploiter of external storage I have ever seen here and every time you say something you just prove why external storage needs to be removed from the game. You're not the innovator of tent storage, you're the poster child for why it needs to be stopped.

And here we go...I'll just leave this here.

You are making so many assumptions. Others jealousy? I'm special and found a loophole? Supplying amounts of easy loot? Breaking the game? AN EXPLOITER?

Am I duping items or what?

Go spread your hate somewhere else.

EDIT: seeing the amount of negative comments on your post that you linked... don't know, you want to impress me with this?

EDIT 2: Mr. Troll?

Edited by Papie

jesus is this thread still going on??

duping is a bug that needs to fixed,

servers will have to be wiped once they are fixed

what more is there?

I say just get rid of them completely. It literally defies the point of the game that you can die and then just go get more stuff from a tent.

Except the point of the game isn't to "get more stuff."

Tents are fine.

Fix duplication and add more storage options, not fewer.

You are making so many assumptions. Others jealousy? I'm special and found a loophole? Supplying amounts of easy loot? Breaking the game? AN EXPLOITER?

Am I duping items or what?

Go spread your hate somewhere else.

EDIT: seeing the amount of negative comments on your post that you linked... don't know, you want to impress me with this?

EDIT 2: Mr. Troll?

"If you don't get the joke...it's probably on you."