decoman

Got myself a vehicle, now what?

I put a vehicle together and it is running fine, but now I wonder what to expect when wanting to keep this vehicle around.

Q: If I remember to save the vehicle before a server restart, will the vehicle appear where I left it after a server restart?

Q: Will it be ok to put some stuff into the "gear" of the vehicle without having to wonder if items will disappear.

Q: Will the tires and the engine wear out by simply driving the vehicle around?

Beta: 95883

DayZ: 1.7.2.5

Edited by Treehugger

I put a vehicle together and it is running fine, but now I wonder what to expect when wanting to keep this vehicle around.

Q: If I remember to save the vehicle before a server restart, will the vehicle appear where I left it after a server restart?

Q: Will it be ok to put some stuff into the "gear" of the vehicle without having to wonder if items will disappear.

Q: Will the tires and the engine wear out by simply driving the vehicle around?

Beta: 95883

DayZ: 1.7.2.5

Yes

Yes

No

• Like 1

Don't expect to keep it long if you're playing in a populated server.

What vehicle is it?

Not so fast people. :blush:

There has been a server reset just now (I was waiting for it, didn't want to sit in the vehicle when the server reset) and the vehicle is now nowhere to be seen. A bicycle has instead been placed where the vehicle was. :D

I don't want to save the bicycle in case it messes up something.

This has been the first server reset after I had put the vehicle together, moved it away to a location and saved it. I saved the vehicle more than one time btw.

I guess I will have to log back on after the next server reset and see if the vehicle returns.

Does perhaps the vehicles respawn the same odd way that tent do?

Edited by Treehugger

It's unlikely the vehcile will save properly since 1.7.2.5 has a bug causing them to reset usually.

• Like 1

I WOULDN't get attached to vehicles or leave anything in the trunk for that matter until they fix that stupid bug

I read in some other thread where it was claimed the "save" function had nothing to do with the position of the vehicle, which would be nice I guess.

On 1.7.2.5 the vehicles seem to respawn at their default locations and saving one will cause it to get replaced by something else in the saved location while the original is respawned at the actual spawn point.

V3S converted into a tractor for me, PBX into an ATV. The 'cloned' vehicles don't survive the next restart though, from what I saw. In essence, ignore vehicles until it's fixed.

Do no vehicles survive a single server restart with 1.7.2.5 ? :o

Edited by Treehugger

Q: If I remember to save the vehicle before a server restart, will the vehicle appear where I left it after a server restart? Yes

Q: Will it be ok to put some stuff into the "gear" of the vehicle without having to wonder if items will disappear? Yes, if you leave the vehicle in a secure place.

Q: Will the tires and the engine wear out by simply driving the vehicle around? Not as far as I am aware, however, the fuel will deplete

Do no vehicles survive a single server restart with 1.7.2.5 ? :o

Not from my experience, although that may vary from server to server. You could test it but I wouldn't go out of my way to repair a vehicle only to have it despawn.

The bicycle was still there when I logged on now hours later.

I took a bicycle ride down to where I found this vehicle and there it was. Respawned, with tyres missing, engine damaged and zero fuel. The gear section showed pretty much the same items as I found.

On 1.7.2.5 the vehicles seem to respawn at their default locations and saving one will cause it to get replaced by something else in the saved location while the original is respawned at the actual spawn point.

V3S converted into a tractor for me, PBX into an ATV. The 'cloned' vehicles don't survive the next restart though, from what I saw. In essence, ignore vehicles until it's fixed.

Me and a buddy were driving a UAV around with gear in. Server isn't a hugely popular one, but on returning it was gone. I was assuming it had been stolen, but are you saying it probably reset on a server reset or has gone back to where it originally spawned?

I've no clue how to even build one from scratch (I did read the FAQ).

Me and a buddy were driving a UAV around with gear in. Server isn't a hugely popular one, but on returning it was gone. I was assuming it had been stolen, but are you saying it probably reset on a server reset or has gone back to where it originally spawned?

I've no clue how to even build one from scratch (I did read the FAQ).

If it's a 1.7.2.5 server I would guess that it returned to its spawn location. However, it's hard to know for sure since the cause can be anything really, some servers don't spawn vehicles due to a hive issue, others respawn them at 1.7.2.4 locations if the vehicles had a previous 'owner' and the server was upgraded to 1.7.2.5 so all you can do is check spawn points or where you found that ATV. My suggestion is to ignore vehicles until it's fixed if you know your server is affected by the problem or there will be tears after server restarts.

• Like 1

DAMN ! Just found my very first car today and after a restart few hours later it was gone ;__;

The server i play on is 1.7.2.5 and restarts every 4-6 hours.. well just my luck -_-

Does that mean that as of 1.7.2.5 there's no way to save my vehicle? What's smarter ? hitting save vehicle or not to do it ?

Edited by Friendly1337

I read in some other thread where it was claimed the "save" function had nothing to do with the position of the vehicle, which would be nice I guess.

This is true. Getting out saves the vehicle location, while the 'save' command refers to the gear (which is just as buggy as tents - everything put in before 1.7.2.4 reloads, everything put in after said patch gets eaten).

So, to answer OP's questions:

Yes (saving is irrelevant, though)

No

No

DAMN ! Just found my very first car today and after a restart few hours later it was gone ;__;

The server i play on is 1.7.2.5 and restarts every 4-6 hours.. well just my luck -_-

Does that mean that as of 1.7.2.5 there's no way to save my vehicle? What's smarter ? hitting save vehicle or not to do it ?

Sometimes, vehicles morph into other types after a restart, sometimes they fail to load and skip one restart, only to return again and ofc they might get stolen, while you were off.

When you get out of a vehicle, it gets saved to that location, there's nothing else you can do about it.

Edited by Fector
  • Like 1