Sign in to follow this  
SKVLI

Free Roam Observing Mode?

What about some sort of omniscient mode, where you can either free roam or cycle through players on a random server just to observe them, see some action, pick up tips, etc.

You could even add some sort of block to that server, so when you observe, you can't join that same server until maybe 8 hours (or whatever amount of time) later (starting at the end of your viewing). This prevents people popping on just to steal cool shit. I think it could be cool if you come across a group of people kicking ass, since many of us don't get to experience that haha.

Thoughts? This is just off the top of my head, so if there are more loopholes, by all means post them, but maybe add a solution or two as well? Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

UPDATED (8/17/12 10:07p): What if instead of a time limit, they make it so you can't see what server you're observing? Therefore when you join a server, you have no idea if that one camp you wanted to go rob will actually be there.

Edited by SKVLI
  • Like 1

I would love to be able to watch other people play the game, but it would destroy DayZ. Tons of morons would just watch people run to their camps and then join the server after the log-in delay was done and steal their stuff. It would be the end of camps.

• Like 1

Hmm I suppose the time limit might not work in that case. I'm sure some solution to this could be made though. I agree completely that being able to just pop in and take advantage of the observing is a definite dealbreaker. Hopefully if this were to be implemented, someone could come up with a failsafe.

I would love to be able to watch other people play the game, but it would destroy DayZ. Tons of morons would just watch people run to their camps and then join the server after the log-in delay was done and steal their stuff. It would be the end of camps.

Quoted for truth.

What if instead of a time limit, they make it so you can't see what server you're observing? Therefore when you join a server, you have no idea if that one camp you wanted to go rob will actually be there.

Random server would be a good solution, but only if the spectator could not see any player names, even in lobby/by pressing P. Otherwise he could just spy for his clan/group and feed all the info over VOIP.

There could be easy ways around it. I say they should it. I love seeing people get killed in dayz.... :) I am a horrible person.

Dayzcommander let you see what server people are playing on. even tough it would be usefull, a free roam/"omniscient" mode (i dunnu what it means ;P) should not be implented as people would take advantage of it.

Dayzcommander let you see what server people are playing on. even tough it would be usefull, a free roam/"omniscient" mode (i dunnu what it means ;P) should not be implented as people would take advantage of it.

I'm saying that they would change it, so that wouldn't be possible if you were using observable mode.

I'm saying that they would change it, so that wouldn't be possible if you were using observable mode.

if you hide name, chat, and server name it would be possible. (atleast as far i know) but if he finds server or any username at all anyone can instantly find out what server he is playing in, the dayz staff cant stop people from finding people, but they could hide the identities. so if server name was hidden, players names hidden, and chat must was disabled. then MAYBE it has a shoot.

Edited by Orbmaniac

I just REALLY want to watch people better than me 1)Kick ass and 2) possibly pick up some strategies.

What about some sort of omniscient mode, where you can either free roam or cycle through players on a random server just to observe them, see some action, pick up tips, etc.

You could even add some sort of block to that server, so when you observe, you can't join that same server until maybe 8 hours (or whatever amount of time) later (starting at the end of your viewing). This prevents people popping on just to steal cool shit. I think it could be cool if you come across a group of people kicking ass, since many of us don't get to experience that haha.

Thoughts? This is just off the top of my head, so if there are more loopholes, by all means post them, but maybe add a solution or two as well? Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

UPDATED (8/17/12 10:07p): What if instead of a time limit, they make it so you can't see what server you're observing? Therefore when you join a server, you have no idea if that one camp you wanted to go rob will actually be there.

Any squad of bandits would just send one observer on the server to tell them in teamspeak where players are ... So no.

Any squad of bandits would just send one observer on the server to tell them in teamspeak where players are ... So no.

We all already came up with a way to prevent this, via not projecting any data of the server, or the players. Therefore, you cannot just hop right on and take people out.

No, he means they would have say 3 guys in there playing and another spectating, telling them where everyone is. Waaay too much potential for this to be abused. It would be game breaking.

• Like 1

If you really want to watch other players :huh: , new item could be added to DayZ, "Helmet" camera, its goes to the tool belt and only those players who have this item can be spectated...

• Like 1

No, he means they would have say 3 guys in there playing and another spectating, telling them where everyone is. Waaay too much potential for this to be abused. It would be game breaking.

I guess I'm not understanding. If the server name and player names are unavailable, how could someone watch and tell their friends where to go? They would have no clue what server they were watching in order to tell their friends to join said server. It would basically be a button that connects you a random anonymous (to the player) server. No way to tell anyone to join or find certain people at all.

• Like 1

Eh, I know what you're saying and spectator modes are good for certain games.

I don't think one belongs in the current Day Z mod or the coming standalone game.

I guess I'm not understanding. If the server name and player names are unavailable, how could someone watch and tell their friends where to go? They would have no clue what server they were watching in order to tell their friends to join said server. It would basically be a button that connects you a random anonymous (to the player) server. No way to tell anyone to join or find certain people at all.

They could join you through DayZ Commander.

Just go play with more experienced players if you want tips, lol.

Edited by mZLY

They could join you through DayZ Commander.

Just go play with more experienced players if you want tips, lol.

Ah I understand now, I still think there'd be a way to prevent it. But this is also a matter of opinion, I guess. And I can't play with anyone, because everyone is so nervous in game, and I have limited friends who have computers who can run this shit haha.

Ah I understand now, I still think there'd be a way to prevent it. But this is also a matter of opinion, I guess. And I can't play with anyone, because everyone is so nervous in game, and I have limited friends who have computers who can run this shit haha.

You're welcome to join me some time if you play EU servers. I don't have a 1337 camp with duped AS50s and vehicles but I can show you the ropes... The only rule is that we don't shoot everything on sight, lol.

You're welcome to join me some time if you play EU servers. I don't have a 1337 camp with duped AS50s and vehicles but I can show you the ropes... The only rule is that we don't shoot everything on sight, lol.

Haha, I'm fine with that. I've gotten pretty decent on my own, but it's impossible to go any further by yourself at a certain point. I'm very interested in a grouping option too. Doesn't mean friendly fire will be turned off of course. Gotta keep that fear, real!

I'm sorry to have to tell you, but this is a very bad idea. It's just too difficult and impractical to implement without risk of breaking the game.

Modus operandi per now is: Choose server > Log into lobby > Log into game. Having a random server pop up just wouldn't work for DayZ - not currently, at least.

Even though the server was random, obtaining the IP would be relatively easy for hackers. And then griefers could just inform of camps, campers and player locations to other griefers over VOIP. It would ruin the game.

Edit: However I do like the idea of a helmet cam, but until they get radios to work in-game, that certainly won't work either.

Edited by kebman

How about a need for consent. Solves some of the issues.

But people can still use it as another eye watching and that would destroy the sense of "realism" in the game, or at least what is left of it.