Sign in to follow this  
DR@GON (DayZ)

Idea for skills / promoting teamwork (w/out taking away from PvP)

First, if this has been suggested before, I apologize, I'm not trying to rip anyone off. There are so many idea threads now it's hard to keep track or search without taking up an hour or more.

So I read some other posts about skills, and things rocket has said about where he'd like to see the game go in interviews and had an idea that might not be too hard to implement.

1 - What if there were less tool belt slots per character? I haven't worked out a suggestion for how many less yet, but just think about it for a minute. If there are less tool belt slots, but the same, or MORE things that go in them, then 1 person cannot "do it all", which would theoretically promote teamwork, yet not take anything away from people who want to be bandits. They could stash tools somewhere and switch out as needed.

2 - Skill books. Rather than picking a skill when you make your character, or progressing some skill tree, you have to find items that go in the tool belt that give you access to advanced skills. Medical books, repair manuals, engineering blueprints, flight manual and so on. I'm not suggesting we make everything in the game require a book, but just a set of "advanced skills".

3 - Your character could then progress to a point where he no longer needs the book by performing the task enough times, thus giving you a reason to not be reckless with your character and put a little emphasis on long term survival.

Flame on trolls! :P

Edited by DR@GON
  • Like 1

Not terrible ideas, but I for one hope they never implement things of this nature. The "raw" atmosphere this mod supplies is exactly what keeps me playing; it's unique. The first moment an RPG-ish feature is added, I'm outa here.

fair enough, but it seems to me that Rocket has mentioned wanting to do something like this, I thought they might be a good way to "keep it raw" and add some complexity and reasons to cooperate with strangers, without taking anything away from people who want to be bandits.

Is it really RPG-ish or is it just simulating survival?

As it is everyone knows everything, I don't like that at all. If you are good with mechincal things you should be able to fix cars. A doctor could heal better/faster, but can't fly helos.

I like having to work for these skills. As OP said, it gives incentive to survive. Maybe it takes a long time to learn and you must stay alive, but once you learn the skill it is unlocked for the account.

• Like 1

The problem with a skill system is that it artificially prevent new people from experiencing part of the game, which is to the advantage of the more experienced player.

Also, your plan will backfire. If my character is even more precious because of skilled gained, then how does that encourage me to trust other people? Why shouldn't I shoot them all? It's safer if my goal is to protect my skill level.

Currently, cooperation is an extra-game mechanic. You have to know the other person outside the game (voicechat, forum) in order to build trust. Your suggestion doesn't change that.

Edited by TheCoconutChef
  • Like 2

So some more specific ideas for the skill books (might spill over to other needed changes)

Repair manual - needed to do engine work on vehicles (the other repairs shouldn't require advanced knowledge)

Flight manual - needed to fly the helicopter (driving other vehicles is a fairly common skill set in RL)

Herbalism guide - allows the collection of wild edibles & wild medicines (alternative to antibiotics)

Cook Book - perhaps have a way to combine ingredients into a "meal" that heals lots of blood (800-1000), and lower the amount cooked meat heals you now. Perhaps (1) wild edible + (1) cooked meat + (1) canned food = (1) meal. Would also require a new tool item - "cookware"... and give you more to do at the campfire... also, you should get full so you can't just binge to max out blood.

Medical Books - Obvisouly the medical system right now is fairly basic, and anything you can do now shouldn't require special knowledge. That being said, Rocket has mentioned adding complexity to the wound system, so this could work with it. My idea is to have morphine be a temporary solution to broken bones & trauma, with a doctor being required to fully cure you of certain afflictions like a broken bone. Perhaps having a blood transfusion be a temporary solution to surgery is another option. - New tool item - "doctor's bag" - new medical (consumable) item "splint"

Engineering blue prints - Everything in the game that you can build right now wouldn't take special knowledge, but if advanced base building comes in, then this could work with that feature in similar ways to the above ideas.

Edited by DR@GON

I dont actually mind this idea, i remember posting something similiar in terms of the skill book thing but got shot down pretty quickly XD reducing the toolbelt capacity seems like a reasonable way to limit skills.

The problem with a skill system is that it artificially prevent new people from experiencing part of the game, which is to the advantage of the more experienced player.

Also, your plan will backfire. If my character is even more precious because of skilled gained, then how does that encourage me to trust other people? Why shouldn't I shoot them all? It's safer if my goal is to protect my skill level.

Currently, cooperation is an extra-game mechanic. You have to know the other person outside the game (voicechat, forum) in order to build trust. Your suggestion doesn't change that.

Tbh i think its possible for the opposite to occur, someone having the knowledge that they cant hold all skills at the same time and therefore need others to organise and conduct operations quickly and efficiently. The idea for blue prints especially is very interesting, because it enables sandbox type creation aswell as leaving avenues open for introducing new items/weapons/base addons when the game is fully fledged.

• This would just encurage more PVP.

I'm trying to imagine "more PvP"... think it's about as full up as it can get :P

Is it really RPG-ish or is it just simulating survival?

Experience points? Yeah, that's an RPG.

I never said anything about experience points, just unlocking skills somehow. This would make for more team play since each clan would need a medic, pilot, mechanic, etc.

• Like 1

Tbh the idea i had, came from a thread someone made on the idea of self defence (having a invisible bubble around a player, so that if a bullet strayed through that bubble, the player could kill the shooter as an act of self defence, thereby the kill not showing up as a murder... if ye get me)

What i thought would be cool is if this skill book was enabled, then other players could learn other skills by being in the proximity of another who is using those skills.

However even though i havnt seen another game learning skills this way, that is still in the realm of experience points and probably wouldnt be implemented :(

However the idea of having some piece book/info item that unlocked more complicated procedures might create the incentive for specified roles, and thereby creating an incentive for people to merge into groups.

I'm not for this idea.

Some people simply just do not get on well with groups, and would limit players who do not have a microphone since 99% (Random percentage I pulled out my ass) of DayZ's community refuse to type.

I'm not for this idea.

Some people simply just do not get on well with groups, and would limit players who do not have a microphone since 99% (Random percentage I pulled out my ass) of DayZ's community refuse to type.

I see what ye mean, which is why i think there should be skills and activities tailored for individuals to small groups to large clans (Control Old Industry / Control Rural Industry). But there should be some recognition that alot of tasks simply cannot be achieved by one person alone. I think theres too many lone wolves out there who assume they are the spawn of Bear Grylls and Nikola Tesla.

I really like this idea. Limited tool belt and skills books to learn how to do things at all or do them faster. The idea of being able to teach other players skills would be fun!

"Hey can someone teach me CPR!?"

"Sorry buddy I don't swing that way!"

I think this would add a lot of replayablity to the game as it is totally random what tools and/or skill books you're going to find next time you spawn. Great idea!