Sign in to follow this  
WildGunsTomcat

We need a purpose.

It definitely needs something. Finding Vehicles or "better" weapons can be a challenge, but are ultimately pointless as neither changes anything.

I just think the game needs more random interesting things. Like a massive horde or two spawn each reset not linked to anything and just roam the map, finding them would be awesome. Or rare and random NPCs that you can save or get something from or something. Shit like that. Just rare occurences or events that keep things interesting.

Also, I'd hate to say it, but an achievement tree (like in minecraft) does often give people something to do.

EDIT: someone said world events. That's what you call them. Needs more of them.

Edited by Drakezilla

You kind of said why some sort of goal isnt in the game atm. Its alpha, if you have seen any interviews with Rocket you would see some of the features he wants. Factions, player made structures/bases, etc. More will be added, but its still early days for DayZ.

TBH, atm, you make your own goals. I enjoy doing this. By the sound of it you are not in a clan. Why not join a good one? Then you can go repairing vehicles, make camps, do raids on towns, etc. The game changes alot when your playing it with others(that you can trust).

Missions aren't going to stop people from killing 'for the lulz'. That's basically the only thing to do when your character gets super stacked. Thing is, a noob with a Lee Enfield could still one-shot you (barring the latest round of damage changes) with your M104 and AWS thermals and shiz.

Just the other day a super stacked ghilie user chased me down with a silenced M9, and I with only my axe killed him, but unfortunately I bled out at the same time lol and I think he got a better spawn than me to get his stuff back. BUT STILL.

Mission: Rescue someone whos unconcious and being eaten by zombies and not get thanked for it. Accomplished

------------------

Yes, it kinda does loose purpose when u finally get all geared up, whatta do, prolly go kill something, i dunno, havent figured it out, making my way to elektro for some sniping, prolly get killed, have to start over again, actually gathering the stuff is the most fun, u dont care bout gettin killed, run into town with a bunch of zeds :D

eventually ull find a nice weapon, have a L85 CWS with 14 mags rite now, and it turns out u don't dare to fire it.... well did do that, but still, afraid :)

I walk the plains alone, quess it would be more fun with friends, but im afraid to team up with randoms, and don't have friends in RL who play games, actually, i dont have friends at all ..... sigh ^_^

i would like a car tho, caus walking is tiresome :) and a shaggy ol volkswagon didnt do it for me, nice on the road, but anywhere else, slow as h&ll :lol:

Edited by M4L

Missions would make it seem like every other cookie-cutter game for X-Box out there.

FInally a developer thinks outside of the box... and the brainwashed ask to have the box re-instated.

Hunt your fellow man, take territory, prosper.

Edited by Corbon HydraShock

wtf? factions? missions? go play War Z ffs, sorry but thats the way this thread sounds like "gimme an old boring purpose to play the game which will be boring after 2 days hurr durr hurrr derp"... good god

wtf? factions? missions? go play War Z ffs, sorry but thats the way this thread sounds like "gimme an old boring purpose to play the game which will be boring after 2 days hurr durr hurrr derp"... good god

Factions are a planned feature. Rocket has said so many times.

This game is like minecraft in the fact that it does not give the player a purpose, just the tools for the player to make their own fun by setting their own objectives based on what they want to do.

You know what would be nice? The ability to actually keep a town clear of zombies, rather than them just respawning as fast as you can clear em.

Factions are a planned feature. Rocket has said so many times.

quote or didnt happen

what would factions give anyway besides a skin? people would still shoot on sight when they feel like it... and i wouldn't see anything like friendly fire damage reduction getting in...

quote or didnt happen

what would factions give anyway besides a skin? people would still shoot on sight when they feel like it... and i wouldn't see anything like friendly fire damage reduction getting in...

I read this, the problem is, that requires substantial changes to models. These models are binarized - and would have to be edited. Also, we want to use armbands for factions later, so this would potentially get in the way of that. And I'm not sure, if you're a complete villain, that you would wear an armband?

here is the link http://dayzmod.com/f...ute/#entry95750

This is the fastest one I could find. I have heard him talk about factions more than once. And its a feature he wants in the game.

Edited by VeNoM56k

here is the link http://dayzmod.com/f...ute/#entry95750

This is the fastest one I could find. I have heard him talk about factions more than once. And its a feature he wants in the game.

gotta see then how he goes about that

however i find missions highly unlikely

actually, i had some "missions" if you can call it that while playing on my main server with the TS guys (Get to xyz and give me a bloodbag/morphine/repair a car there) etc.

gotta see then how he goes about that

however i find missions highly unlikely

actually, i had some "missions" if you can call it that while playing on my main server with the TS guys (Get to xyz and give me a bloodbag/morphine/repair a car there) etc.

I agree missions would not fit within DayZ, and would kind of make the whole aim of DayZ obsolete.

The note system they talked about in The War Z(ugh, hate to say it. lol), would be interesting if done right though.

EDIT

just like to add, that the note thing from warz i talked about, I dont like the idea of npc notes. If this were to be put into DayZ, I would rather they all be player made. maybe you need to find an item beforehand like paper or something. And if someone comes across it they have the option to pick it up or just read it and leave it there(for the next person).

Edited by VeNoM56k

I agree missions would not fit within DayZ, and would kind of make the whole aim of DayZ obsolete.

The note system they talked about in The War Z(ugh, hate to say it. lol), would be interesting if done right though.

yeah, but if you go further, War Z will probably award note missions with something, like gold coins or XP or whatever,

what could in DayZ the reward be? im thinking of (since they tend to be really rare) a forced bicycle spawn or similar, maybe anti biotics or other stuff in the game...

however, this would only lead to people meta gaming again, farming the notes when they figure out the spawn circumstances and then doing the mission as fast as possible

sure you can then kill time with it, but instead directly searching for stuff at higher travelled places, which forces you to go where other players are likely to appear, seems more in the way of a survival game imo

yeah, but if you go further, War Z will probably award note missions with something, like gold coins or XP or whatever,

what could in DayZ the reward be? im thinking of (since they tend to be really rare) a forced bicycle spawn or similar, maybe anti biotics or other stuff in the game...

however, this would only lead to people meta gaming again, farming the notes when they figure out the spawn circumstances and then doing the mission as fast as possible

sure you can then kill time with it, but instead directly searching for stuff at higher travelled places, which forces you to go where other players are likely to appear, seems more in the way of a survival game imo

No, I didnt mean the "npc" notes, player made notes. A player can leave a note saying loot here or whatever, or it could be them luring them to a place so they could kill them. Sure it wouldnt work now, but when a standalone comes out, the game would have alot more features and this could make it interesting. I do not want random/non player made notes though.

I edited my original reply to say what i meant to say.

Edited by VeNoM56k

Everything I have heard Rocket say has been the same mantra. "I want the players to do it". So, his "Faction" statement that you linked to above reads more like...visually recognizing what players have already done...factionalizing.

At any rate...the tone of the man's words is that he wants EVERYTHING player driven. So, if he and the dev team then come behind and create in game missions, driven by the game and not the players...then that would be against what he says he wants...and not the spirit of what is driving people to this game in a herd.

Nope, I am thinking that it would be best to have more of the same. Random spawns of coolness. I loved the broken down convoy thing mentioned earlier. That would rock.

I would like to see building blocks of systems. Fortications. Communications. Power. Food generation. Transportation. Security. That's your mission. Find the building blocks. Build groups. Build up your fortications. I liked to see the ability to clear towns, or buildings. Fortify those towns and buildings. Improve them. Clean out the Zeds in an area. Hordes roaming. A light skill system, since we are survivors we should start with some skills...but not really the kind of thing we can improve now...post infection, but the kind we use to build the future. Those skills should speed up the building, those with skills, the right skills become important. You must group. One person can't do it all. A random spawing. Random loot, instead of the known things. The random bunkers would be cool. Random weapon spawns. Random prepper stores.

All of those things would make for a great stand alone version. But that's not where we are...it's where we are going hopefully. In the interim? Random spawn locations. More than just the cost. Roaming hordes through the wilderness. Don't have to be big...20 or so infected moving from one random point to another. Inventory bug fixes. Zeds not clipping through walls. Start with a little more randomness (maybe nothing, maybe something...but never a firearm. True melee option, be able to swap to a melee weapon. Be able to put a pack inside another (takes up space equal to what it has) so we can grab spares easier.

Anyway...that's my wish list. But no...absolutely no ingame missions. Let us play. We'll make our own. DayZ is the anti-game. Please keep it that way.

Out

Personally, I'd rather see him implement mechanics that encourage players to set up their own mission-systems. There are already organizations that do things very much like this. There are groups with threads that you can post in for help with this or that, and you're essentially giving a mission to that group. The mission rewards are whatever the two parties in question have worked out beforehand, much like a standard mission system in most other games. The only difference is that players both make and give the missions.

I saw a thread floating around somewhere the other day, where a group of people would help you loot the Vybor Airfield and Stary in exchange for basic supplies. The entire medical assistance thread is essentially one giant mission board.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I'd like to see much more of the stuff players are now starting to do. I don't want any arbitrarily designed missions given out by the game engine itself, I'd much rather see player creativity and ingenuity challenged as they create their own 'missions' of sorts. Part of that challenge would, consequentially, be figuring out how to actually arrange the services desired and the rewards in a relatively safe manner for both the contracting and the contracted parties.

Much as rocket himself seems to want, the players need to design their own purpose.

Edited by Askar
  • Like 1

I think this game could do with some long challenges with persistent rewards that carry over lives. Types that would not bring harm to other players, but things to keep you playing with miniature survival incentives that collect into something overall decent. No murder-related challenges however; not everybody wants to be a killer and shouldn't be punished for it.

Here are some hypothetical examples. Tweak the numbers how you please, they arn't the focus.

Eat 250 tins of sardines - Sardines now replenish 50% more blood.

Perform a blood transfusion on 100 unique players - Can now perform a blood transfusion on yourself.

Start 100 fires - No longer need matches in dry weather.

Kill 100 animals - Able to recover 1 more meat per animal.

Install 50 vehicle parts - Vehicles repaired by you have a little more resilience to damage.

Kill 1000 zombies - Slightly easier to avoid detection by zombies in crouch/standing stance.

Attract 1500 zombies to your location with gunshots - Every unalert zombie over half the audible distance rolls a 50% chance to ignore you every time a shot is fired.

The thing is, it's hard to place in lasting, non-grindy challenges into something that isn't specifically team based. Every reward has to benefit yourself, but being able to achieve them so easily by pestering players at the beach will mean that the challenges won't last. The main point is that each challenge requires finding some resource to expend. Which means travelling and exploring, perhaps grouping up.

I like the idea of quests. But they'd need to be heavily diverse to prevent them from becoming bandit ambush routes and nothing more.

Of course this whole post is without consideration to the amount of work required for all this.

I think that traditional "quest" model wouldn't really fit the player driven nature of Day Z properly. In my humble opinion a better idea would be to add more back story to the world, seed it out onto the map in one form or another then and let the players discover it for themselves. By this I mean flesh out the who's, why's, what's, where's and when's of how the infection came into existance, how it got to chernarus and how the goverment and local population responded to the outbreak then spawn the notes/letter/files etc that contain this information across the map either randomly or in set places.

Something along the lines of having a file about Patient Zero drop in a hospital somewhere for people to find, randomly spawn a military convoy carrying water/soil/air samples that shed light on the origins of the infection/how it it transmitted, the ability to find written orders in military tents that show how the army was told to respond to the outbreak. There is whole host of things you could do and the majority of it would be fairly simple with the current game resources. This approach would put something in place for people who want more out of it than just surviving without really altering simulator style nature of the Day Z experience.

As a though this would also tie in nicely with the player factions and player made bases. You may find those infection samples but down the line they may need equipment/ a player with that equipment to analyze it etc.

TL;DR: Dont have traditional quests but seed more back story about the infection around the map. Your "quest" is now to find out what happened.

Missions really puts me off, so im against implementing them.

The endgame at the moment is death. Yes, thats the point, to die and do that lootin' n killin' all over again.

But what about somekind of achievement-thingy, like, just brainstorming here, a boat up on a certain coast that takes you to safety.

And that would mean the end of that character, losing gear and all the fat loots as well, but the character was actually saved, adding a notch to your

internet-wood-of-seriousness!. And by saving the character you may get some kinda hat or stuff like that, to your new character, vanity items, no golden M1911s.

Ofc the sites to "succesful exit" would turn to battlefields but theres no stopping that anyways.

Edited by Xtro

Our group is now using a skill system.

We got bored of being random leet soldiers all the time.

So our guys can create a character by choosing certain abilities and disadvantages.

For example, my character is a farmer:

Only shotgun (+1), No map / compass (+1), Purist (+1)

Strong (-1), Can use morphin (-1), Skin animals (-1)

Another colleague is a sniper, another a medic etc.

If you want you can check out our system for some inspiration:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/49539-make-your-own-story-rpg-style/

Missions are cool but not for this kind of PVP+PVE online game. But for a stand-alone version there should be an offline version included that would need missions then of course.

Edited by TheStoryteller01

I think we should have a place to go to. Like, since we start on the coast if we manage to get to the far northwest point we can get to see our character walking off the distance into a new, perhaps safer, location (Saying we survived...?)

But I also don't think that would be optimal. As it means people would get lucky building cars and just zipping straight ahead, or people at the edge of the end point just sniping others wishing to go past.