skudd3r

Understanding Why the Game is Getting Boring

The standalone is barely going to leave Alpha. It won't receive alot of attention. Its just being done to make some money out of the game. I could be wrong, but that's the impression Im getting. Rocket really doesn't seem to be very ambitious about adding alot of content and features to the game in the future.

What makes you say that?

No its not.

A game in alpha is feature complete and assets are partially complete.

A game in beta is feature and asset complete.

You are just wrong... Have you ever seen the doom alphas? Some of them don't even have monsters, others you can't shoot the monsters. I'm pretty sure monsters in the Doom series are counted as features and not assets.

• Like 1

A game in alpha is "feature complete".

Dude you have no fucking clue what your talking about

Alpha

The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase to begin software testing (alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, used as the number 1). In this phase, developers generally test the software using white box techniques. Additional validation is then performed using black box or gray box techniques, by another testing team. Moving to black box testing inside the organization is known as alpha release.[2]

Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. The exception to this is when the alpha is available publicly (such as a pre-order bonus), in which developers normally push for stability so that their testers can test properly. External availability of alpha software is uncommon in proprietary software. However, open source software, in particular, often have publicly available alpha versions, often distributed as the raw source code of the software. The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete.

Beta

Beta (named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet) is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it.

The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software, willing to test the software without charge, often receiving the final software free of charge or for a reduced price. Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, prototype, technical preview (TP), or early access. Some software is kept in perpetual beta—where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a firm "final" release.

Please note the bold and underlined areas, I wouldn't want you to get lost in all this reading.

People need to start looking shit up before they post their garbage.....

Edited by jackcrow
  • Like 1

One of the reasons why it is getting boring is that its getting easier. I've been playing for a couple of weeks and I've got used to the AI, The zombies isn't the problem any more for me ts the players/hacks.

That's not generaly correct. Zombies still kill players, experienced,too. 1 certain hit you are knocked out for a very long time and get eaten alive. That happens quite often when you are enganging them. It's gamebreaking cause you can't do anything vs. that except totaly avoid getting hit. And avoiding them makes the game boring, too ;)

This happens to me on a regular basis, because I scavange a lot. The scripters are indeed why a lot of adult players just skip the game not wanting to deal with skript users. This cheaters leave the game aswell, when they have no one to shoot anymore.

Edited by Gradan

Dude you have no fucking clue what your talking about

Alpha

The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase to begin software testing (alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, used as the number 1). In this phase, developers generally test the software using white box techniques. Additional validation is then performed using black box or gray box techniques, by another testing team. Moving to black box testing inside the organization is known as alpha release.[2]

Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. The exception to this is when the alpha is available publicly (such as a pre-order bonus), in which developers normally push for stability so that their testers can test properly. External availability of alpha software is uncommon in proprietary software. However, open source software, in particular, often have publicly available alpha versions, often distributed as the raw source code of the software. The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete.

Beta

Beta (named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet) is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it.

The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software, willing to test the software without charge, often receiving the final software free of charge or for a reduced price. Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, prototype, technical preview (TP), or early access. Some software is kept in perpetual beta—where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a firm "final" release.

Please note the bold and underlined areas, I wouldn't want you to get lost in all this reading.

People need to start looking shit up before they post their garbage.....

Speaking of posting garbage, way to post software cycle testing from Wikipedia, maybe try the actual video game development cycle? http://en.wikipedia....ame_development

Like you say, "people need to start looking shit up before they post their garbage"

Alpha

See also: Alpha release

Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished.[138] A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.[139] These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback.[138] Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped.[139] Programmers focus mainly on finishing the codebase, rather than implementing additions.[137] Alpha occurs eight to ten months before code release.[138]

[edit]Code freeze

Code freeze is the stage when new code is no longer added to the game and only bugs are being corrected. Code freeze occurs three to four months before code release.[138]

[edit]Beta

See also: Beta release

Beta is feature and asset complete version of the game, when only bugs are being fixed.[137][138] This version contains no bugs that prevent the game from being shippable.[137] No changes are made to the game features, assets, or code. Beta occurs two to three months before code release.[138]

Edited by SKuDD3r

What makes you say that?

Mostly from comments made by Rocket from various interviews (like reedit) and what profit model for this game will be.

Mostly from comments made by Rocket from various interviews (like reedit) and what profit model for this game will be.

Uh, did we read the same reddit interviews? He's talked about tons of features. Not just there, but on the forums as well.

Uh, did we read the same reddit interviews? He's talked about tons of features. Not just there, but on the forums as well.

Yeah I read them a few times to make everything clear in my mind. Not what I would call "tonnes of features" and not even enough to stop the game from being Cherno Deathmatch 2012.

Banicks,

While I appreciate the reply, my whole stance is based off of factual comments from the staff:

"There will be continued support for DayZMOD alongside DayZ game"

Of course, but you are assuming that means a level of support that has been available previously?

All that statement could mean is 1 staff member monitoring and adding to DayZ. Or it could mean no support unless they are testing new ideas, as this mod is their alpha cloud of ideas. Things will be added to trial, break and fix the mod. Does it mean when the mod is broken their level of commitment is to fix it ASAP? Not any more, their focus is the stand alone. But naturally in the due course of time they would endeavour to fix it, if it had any due bearing on stand alone.

I'm not meaning to be an ass or anything here, just saying, alot of people are expecting this mod to be the game of choice since they've bought Arma 2 CO. They need to realise the level of commitment from the dev team may lower and rightfully so. The stand alone should be priority.

There is nothing that the dev team can do regarding hackers or scripters. It is all based off of the Arma 2 engine and coding. So short of them going in and rewriting the entire game at arma 2 base level, it wont be fixed in a patch. But what they can do is stand alone - which gets the game going retail direction and eliminates the issues we are currently experiencing on release.

Edited by Banicks

I had hopes for this mod, but in my eyes the popularity has driven the makers into an "celeb like frenzy", and they are too busy enjoying the perks/attention.

Wow. Your post was kind of reasonable until this ridiculous bullshit.

Yes, they are so busy enjoying the "perks" like never sleeping, working their fucking asses off, traveling to promote the product, negotiating with Bohemia, scrambling to fix bugs and release patches while simultaneously gearing up for a major development effort on the stand-alone game. All to bring you and people like you entertainment.

So selfish.

You silly goober.

• Like 1

All other things aside, games get boring. Especially good games that can get you to overplay. Nobody is ever going to design a perpetually entertaining product. I can't even watch Fight Club again, and I've only seen it like 3 times

It's been stated that there are vulnerabilities in the mod that can't be addressed in Arma2.

ZdB,

While that was a blunt statement, my intentions are meant to be good. I am all for standalone. But like any game in its infancy, people lose interest, the game loses content from lack of large scale feedback, and overall the game will suffer. Over the many weeks, I have seen numerous players quit the game, the number of servers dropping, the interest in the game itself is dropping due to bugs/lack of new content/and hackers. For almost a month now, a mixture of graphics glitches/tents and vehicles not saving/scripters, people just are giving up and moving on(temporarily or permanent).

Like Banicks said, the mod version still can be used for the brainstorming ideas, regardless if they are working on a standalone to push out a alpha game to start cashing in on their idea, which they do deserve, but one thing people always forget, we are the consumers and that in the end decides a success of the game. Its a popularity contest and if you don't keep up with it, you'll fall behind. I saw it happen in the last game I followed, Path of Exile.

Speaking of posting garbage, way to post software cycle testing from Wikipedia, maybe try the actual video game development cycle? http://en.wikipedia....ame_development

/facepalm

You clearly have little to no understanding of PC exclusive development cycles. Go back to your console games and console ports...

• Like 1

So did you actually want to understand why the game is "getting" boring or was it just a rant without reason?

I can tell you the game isn't getting boring because of the glitches or the hackers, that would be cause for frustration but not boredome.

The game is boring because there is no goal setting involved in the game, as in BF3, in which, even though it's always the same thing, does not get boring because of the fact there is always a Goal -> Challenge -> Victory/Defeat cycle.

The problem right now is that, once you get geared up, no such goal is possible except for getting vehicule, and then maybe setting up a camp and keeping it. The point is that goal setting can be quite difficult.

Were those present and hackers and glitched still present, people would be pissed but they wouldn't be bored.

• Like 1

No, its going stale for me because there is nothing else to test. That is after all the purpose of alpha? Give us some more stuff to test, I can deal with the failure to fix the bugs/glitches/hacking.

No its not.

A game in alpha is feature complete and assets are partially complete.

A game in beta is feature and asset complete.

Tell that to Blizzard. neither feature or assets are complete in Mists, and they have more money than you and know the difference

First, the DayZ staff is small and they have announced that they are making a standalone game. This is great news, however, this means that more then likely the Arma2 version of DayZ is going to suffer.

Why would they put more man hours into a mod for a game that is going to be abolished at some point? This means more then likely the hacking/scripting will remain and continue to grow, the content for the game will continue to decrease, and the bugs will take longer to fix.

For me, the addiction that DayZ was once has tapered. The game is getting stale. I pop in the game now and don't have the same drive to play for endless hours. I dare not play on large servers for fear of being teleported to some death arena or have some axe murder teleport behind me in a Ronald MC Donald skin playing "It's raining, its pouring".

I had hopes for this mod, but in my eyes the popularity has driven the makers into an "celeb like frenzy", and they are too busy enjoying the perks/attention. You have made a titanic like game, better keep steering it, or it too will sink.

Ever since TORtanic, people have been overusing the fucking "DURR STEER THE BOAT OR ITLL SINK" statement. Get a new analogy, for fucks sake.

ever since the first troll remark on a forum, people have been overusing the same fucking "derp derp". Get a new hobby.

• Like 1

I highly recommend you all try the Lingor flavour of DayZ. I have played cherno dayz for 3+ months now - 100's of hours. Some boring and some so heart pumping i am sure i have shortened my lifespan (and have played ARMA1/2 OFP for years and years) and while i was tiring (mainly due to the groups i played with drifting away and me getting lonely) I have moved to Lingor and am addicted all over again. Intense PvP, vehicles galore, much less script abusers, crazy map that is smaller but more richly drawn, more challenging player skills (vets?) its awesome.

Isn't this the point? Suffer through a broken and battered alpha for a chance at a great finished product? I was upset when the Team Fortress team stopped supporting Team Fortress Classic, but we all lived on and played TF2 instead. Life goes on.

I highly recommend you all try the Lingor flavour of DayZ. I have played cherno dayz for 3+ months now - 100's of hours. Some boring and some so heart pumping i am sure i have shortened my lifespan (and have played ARMA1/2 OFP for years and years) and while i was tiring (mainly due to the groups i played with drifting away and me getting lonely) I have moved to Lingor and am addicted all over again. Intense PvP, vehicles galore, much less script abusers, crazy map that is smaller but more richly drawn, more challenging player skills (vets?) its awesome.

could you please provide me with a tutorial that works?

could you please provide me with a tutorial that works?

Its not hard!!!

Go to dayzlingor.dk and follow the instructions. Its one torrent file you download. Inside are two folders. Put the folders inside your arma dir. Make a copy your shortcut to dayz and modify it so the mod folders dont say @dayz but the other 2 folders instead; e.g. @dayz_lingor;@dayz_lingor_island

If you are using sixupdater well then you are doomed - either figure out how to make your own shortcut (read the page linked above) or go back to your eggbox360

They're using the mod to test features and game play changes before the stand alone version is released. Also, they don't have much control over the anti hacking software that Arma 2 runs. He's said that when the stand alone is released, they'll have much more direct control over it

Best post in this whole thread.

look at knox YT channel, disconnecting like a little bitch when being shot at (stealing from others video), using hacked weapons.... XD - funny you advertise it here

Wow. Your post was kind of reasonable until this ridiculous bullshit.

Yes, they are so busy enjoying the "perks" like never sleeping, working their fucking asses off, traveling to promote the product, negotiating with Bohemia, scrambling to fix bugs and release patches while simultaneously gearing up for a major development effort on the stand-alone game. All to bring you and people like you entertainment.

So selfish.

You silly goober.

Stuff like that makes me laugh.

(deferred) MONEY, BITCH!