Sign in to follow this  
Scorcho

I'm Sorry.

It's been about four days since I've set out into the world...

Up until now, my travels have consisted of keeping my head down, sneaking from one small back woods town to another scrounging up whatever I can to survive. Nothing to write home about, but I'm not prepared to stick my ass out there and venture into the cities. I've heard stories about what goes on there.

This method of survival has paid off. I'm rarely hungry, or thirsty, I have more than enough ammo, which is also in part because I have yet to fire a single shot from my pistol so far.

That was all about to change...

It started off like any other trek into any other small town. I made my way in, holed myself up in a shed, and spent the night sleeping with one eye open as the zeds shuffled around me. Something I've become accustomed to by now.

When morning came around, I decided to peek my head in the other houses in the area that weren't locked up tight to see if I could grab anything from the road. As I was making my way through a backyard on the edge of the town, I saw him...

Another man, looking in my way, gun drawn. Almost certainly just another survivor, looking to feed himself for the day, but I wasn't taking any chances. I hightailed it behind the house I just came out of and I called out. Hopefully loud enough that he would hear me, but not so loud as to draw attention from the zeds...

"No trouble here..."

No response...

Did he hear me? Ignore me? Afraid? Was he in the process of stalking me down? I made my way along the front of the building in the direction I saw him. I figured that if he was coming after me, he wouldn't expect me to be heading in this direction. Keeping my head low, I made my way to the next house, the one I that I saw him near before I took off. I knelt down near the concrete wall, tried to catch my breath, and listened...

Footsteps...

On the other side of the wall...

Coming towards me!

It was then that he came into view. Not ten feet in front of me, pistol drawn but not pointed at me, he hadn't seen me. Before I could register another thought. I squeezed off three rounds. All of them striking him in the chest. He turned and faced me, looked me in the eye, before slumping over...

His wounds were spurting blood, and I had no idea if was he alive. Would he recover? Is he suffering? I put a final bullet in his forehead, trying to convince myself it was compassion, when in reality it was just stone cold terror.

It's then that I head the hurried footsteps of a group of zeds making their way towards me. I ran toward the coast, trying to not draw the attention of others from the gunshots I'll need to fire. I turn around and they attack, digging their claws into me.

I try my best to keep calm and start taking them down one by one. After the group has cleared I can feel myself bleeding. No big deal, I have more than enough bandages. I patch myself up, and decide to go back to look over my victim. It's a cruel thought, but if he has anything on him that can help me survive, I need to take it.

I make my way back towards the body and pull open the zipper on his blood-covered backpack. I just start to look through the contents when I hear a voice in the distance...

"I see you, bandit..."

Bandit? Is that what I am now?

I don't have time to answer the question before I hear the faint sound of a pistol and the soft "thud" of a bullet hitting the ground near me. If my attacker were a better shot, or had better tactics, I'd easily be just as dead as the man I'm standing over. I stuff a handful of items from his bag into mine and I run through the town towards the forest, knowing I'm going to have a trail of zeds following me, but hoping that will be enough to keep my attacker from pursuing.

I hear his voice calling out in a mocking manner... "Why are you running?" Followed by the sound of more gunfire as I continue to sprint towards the treeline. I glance over my shoulder to assess the damage once I'm into the woods. I look over my shoulder...

Three zeds.

I can handle three zeds.

Furthermore, it appears that my assailant has given up the chase. This is the only break I've gotten so far today. I turn around and take out the zeds with three bullets to the head, turning around a full rotation to make sure I haven't attracted any more.

And then I see them...

Two more men, much more well equipped than my last encounter. Shotguns. Both working together. I drop down and hope they didn't see me. It appears they're looking around for the source of the noise, but after about three minutes (which feel like hours) they decide to make their way across a field in the opposite direction from me.

I've made it...

I'm alive...

My mind is still trying to process everything that's happened. I think to myself that one way to regain my focus is to sort out my gear. That will give me the chance to see what I picked up off of the man I...

Killed...

I open the pack and look through the items that were not there before. A pistol magazine, a can of baked beans, a bandage, and a wallet. A wallet? I open it up. No cash inside, a few useless credit cards, and a driver's license. I always kept my license on me, so when I die, people will be able to identify who I was. I pull it out, wiping the blood from the information on the card, looking at the name...

Vazura...

I'm sorry, Vazura...

This is why I love this game. The stories of the living and the memories of the dead.

Tell me this is an actual feature (or soon will be) and not just a dramatic closer. Either way, I was moved.

I got hit by a bandit once, a long range shot that pierced my shoulder, this was after my partner and I had stumbled past a survivor eqipped with a CZ, we still had him in sight, so I had my partner take the shot. Killed him instantly, and then another shot barely missed my head. The bandit was still out there. We killed an innocent man because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That was the catalyst. We now patrol in ghillie suits, wait for someone to report bandits, and then we take them down. It is our atonement. It is our purpose. A bandit caused me to take a life that didn't need taking. So now we take theirs. In hope that we can eventually repay the poor soul whose existence we ended.

your story reminded me of that moment.

Great story. I read somewhere that Rocket was thinking about player diaries that take up an inventory spot. I think that would be a fantastic addition to the game.

Here's mine:

...then i died, being killed by someone lagging with 3000ms ping.

Here's mine:

...then i died' date=' being killed by someone lagging with 3000ms ping.

[/quote']

His nickname was goldfish, he had a memory to match.

He walked for four days and nights without eating, without stopping, without opening his eyes without even a breath, he never fired a gun, picked up loot, or joined another server or even left the server he joined for that matter.

For him;

Daylight wasn't worth opening his eyes for.

He lived in debug forrest.

The sun never set and the moon never rose.

The stars were never bright.

And ZOMG LAGGER KILLED ME WTF.

And his attention was at maximum the whole time!