Slasner_sb

Is DayZ using a ton of my internet data plan?

I use a WEP internet password that I change often and live in a neighbourhood full of old people that probably aren't interested in stealing internet. Ever since I downloaded DayZ my data usage has been unbelievable (around 7 gigs a day) and all I've been using my internet for is DayZ. Can this really be DayZ gobbling up that much data in a few hours of play?

7GB a day sounds way to high. WEP is completely broken though it makes you an obvious target, possibly the 'old people' who live near you had someone else setup their internet for them and they just added them too your network. Most devices support WPA at least, WPA/WPA2 with AES encryption is what you want, also use a long ass random password.

edit: 7gb in a few hours is definitely not dayz alone

Edited by puppetworx

My bad it is wpa I'm using. I can check how many users are connected to my internet through my admin page (192.168.0.1) and it's just me and my iphone.

WPA should be fine as long as the password isn't just a word or number - longer is always better and numbers, capitals, other characters mixed in is best. You could try putting a MAC filter on it but MACs can be spoofed anyway, as long as you have a decent password you should be fine. Make sure you don't have a DMZ running.

If not maybe you have a virus or rogue app on your iPhone? Where did you get the 7GB number your provider? Your router?

i checked this out after an evening of dayz, as sometimes i have to use a USB internet stick which has a data limit also

used just over 400MB

So I just booted a server and played for maybe 10 minutes and it used about 25mbs so 150mb an hour if that figure is maintained and there isn't a exorbitant amount of data used on boot up. I'm gonna reset my data and run it for an hour and see what that costs. I'll post those figures when I'm done

ever since i started playint dayz my data has been going up and up. last month i used an entire 640GB of data.

No way, 7GB is WAAAAY too high for DayZ. For me, at least.

There is no way you used 640GB of data by playing DayZ as a client. I will average 700-800GB as a client + running 2 servers with an average playercount of 15 each (30 total).

Seriously, data plan?

You must be american or something, you guys get raped with internet over there.

In the UK it's all you can use on every decent provider.

There is no way you used 640GB of data by playing DayZ as a client. I will average 700-800GB as a client + running 2 servers with an average playercount of 15 each (30 total).

well i didnt just play dayz. dont you get screwed on your bill? comcast has threatened to charge us 5$ every GB we go over 200. I dont know why its so high for my house, we dont do much but play games and browse the web, watch youtube ect.

well i didnt just play dayz. dont you get screwed on your bill? comcast has threatened to charge us 5$ every GB we go over 200. I dont know why its so high for my house, we dont do much but play games and browse the web, watch youtube ect.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/common-questions-excessive-use/

They have suspended the cap right now which is why I am able to host servers and run up 1000+ gigs in data. Unless you live in Nashville, TN you should have your bandwidth cap suspended right now.

That's how it is here in america, TheMachine. Mostly.

I do know some Canadian ISPs have plans with limits on data (Such as Rogers, if i spelled it right) but as far as I know, there's nothing in contracts from Comcrap, time warner, or Verizon in regards to data limits - those are the ISPs I've used, and I've not had any issues (in regards to data limits).

EDIT: Okay, previous comments seem to have proven me wrong. However, perhaps I just run more expensive internet plans? :D

Edited by Ipurgepeople