Sign in to follow this  
Ronako (DayZ)

Alt+F4 Solution? (Most Likely for the Standalone)

So this will probably only be able to be done in the stand alone game to make it to where Alt+F4 actually has its own command, and please tell me if this isn't possible, I was just thinking and it makes sense in my mind. And, mind you, put coding in to make it to where the Alt+F4 keybind would be locked, there would be no option to change it.

Anyways, what if Rocket was able to make it to where if someone tried to Alt+F4 out, that they dropped everything? They still logged out, but they drop everything? Now that can probably have problems in the matter of lag.. so maybe it would drop everything as they log out, and wouldn't show up on the server. But I mean, the person who was shooting them should have killed them was still able to get the gear? And even if the lag makes it to where it doesn't show up, at least the person who was shooting them gets the satisfaction of knowing that whoever pussied out still lost everything.

That's just what I think would be a good fix, but I'm not sure if it would work out because I'm not very familiar with coding, but like I said, in my mind it seems possible xD.

So this will probably only be able to be done in the stand alone game to make it to where Alt+F4 actually has its own command, and please tell me if this isn't possible, I was just thinking and it makes sense in my mind. And, mind you, put coding in to make it to where the Alt+F4 keybind would be locked, there would be no option to change it.

Anyways, what if Rocket was able to make it to where if someone tried to Alt+F4 out, that they dropped everything? They still logged out, but they drop everything? Now that can probably have problems in the matter of lag.. so maybe it would drop everything as they log out, and wouldn't show up on the server. But I mean, the person who was shooting them should have killed them was still able to get the gear? And even if the lag makes it to where it doesn't show up, at least the person who was shooting them gets the satisfaction of knowing that whoever pussied out still lost everything.

That's just what I think would be a good fix, but I'm not sure if it would work out because I'm not very familiar with coding, but like I said, in my mind it seems possible xD.

This seems like a really good idea.

Edited by Greeley

Your solution would be easily bypassed with a simple macro, alt f4 isn't the only way to exit out quickly

The best idea I have seen is the one that is already planned to be implemented, a simple sit down timer when you leave the game

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 2

LOL... Genius.

Bind alt + F4 to drop all your items and spam your grid ref before it disconnects you. xD

• Like 1

not a bad solution, but some people alt-f4 to escape hacker traps eg thunderdomes

Shouldn't be such an issue in standalone when it's implemented anyway as those sorts of things simply wont be possible

• Like 1

Shouldn't be such an issue in standalone when it's implemented anyway as those sorts of things simply wont be possible

good point

Log off delay would be fine. A lot of games already use that method. So even if you Alt + F4 out your character is still technically stuck logging out for an X amount of time. 10 second delay would be sufficient. I know this isn't a fix for everything but it would be enough to stop people from Alt + F4'ing out of heated combat moments.

First of all alt f4 is a windows command so nothing anyone can do about that. Secondly there is 100 ways to do the exact same thing as an alt f4, pull your internet cable for example. Doesn't really sound like you thought this through enough tbh :P. Is this supposed to only happen when hit by a bullet? Then you are forgetting all situations where ppl disconnects when getting shot at (not hit), team mates logging off when their friend died etc. No I think the best solution is a simple logout timer that forces your char to be ingame for X amount of seconds (no matter if you just disconnect or use the logout button ingame).

I agree with everyone whose saying there should be an unconditional wait period whenever you log out. Games like fonline implement this with 100% success. It sucks when you're randomly disconnected, But it works and it's something that you should be thinking about anyway. Also, it makes you that much more paranoid when you're about to leave. It's like making sure no one has been following you waiting to ambush you just before you go to sleep.

i like my idea a bit more, since it makes more sense in the idea that a player needs food / water, the player also needs sleep. Have a read:

also read my post about it 2 if ya like

The mechanic is simple, your player needs sleep just as he needs food or water, if some one has been playing for a long period of time such as 15-20 hours the player gets tired and experience things which degrade his characters ability to shoot or do certain tasks. The in game character will go to sleep when you log out but it will take a short or long time to log out (go to sleep) depending where and what condition he is in:

(The amount of actual time should be left up to rocket and the team)

Outside: he will take a fair bit of time to go to sleep e.g. 30 seconds

Outside with a sleeping bag: obviously a shorter time

Outside with a sleeping bag and tent: shorter again

Inside: medium time

Inside with a sleeping bag: very short time

Inside with a bed: shortest possible time

This brings in more thinking and decision making for the player, for you know that there is a higher chance that humans will be inside seeking shelter to log off.

There are more factors to take in account such as temperature or fear (if the players can hear zombies from where they are sleeping or have been shot etc.) And it will increase the time it takes to log out for the player is in pain/shock. I can’t imagine some one who has just been shot going to sleep (loging out) instantly.

So this will stop people who disconnect from the game during pvp encounters, as most people will not be able to get to sleep through sheer pain and fear, certain things might help the player get to sleep if they need to log out quicker bringing in items such as sleeping tablets if it seems a viable mechanic.

implement a logout timer. and disable logout during combat, if user uses alt-f4 to exit the game, character gets erased and they have to restart their character

edit add: or add a confirmation with a timer when alt-f4 / program closing is activated

Edited by Rokochan