Sign in to follow this  
coryjac0b

DayZ not using GPU's Fully, low fps.

Well i have been on DayZ for a few weeks now. The only real issue i have had is the game not using both of my cards fully, which results in low fps. The first time it happened i didn't think to check the usage of them through Afterburner. I only happened once then i forgot about it. Trying to join a server last night, it kept happened. I know something wasn't right because after being in game for about 10-15 minutes, usually both the gou's are around 45-48c under load. They were both only about 38c. I decided to check the GPU usage, and low and behold it was only at around 35% for both GPU's. It's not certain servers, it has happened randomly on a few that i frequent.

I have attached my dxdiag for reference, and also screenshots showing usage/fps/temps and what not. I will get usage screenshot when the fps aren't low.

Thanks.

Screenshots: http://imgbox.com/g/0PC337CLlQ

DxDiag.txt

Main system specs.

> Mainboard : Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P

> Processor : Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3300MHz OC 4.5GHz

> Physical Memory : 16384MB (4 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM )

> Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series x2 - OC 975/1405

> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG HD103SJ (1000GB)

> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG HD103SJ (1000GB)

> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series (256GB)

> CD-Rom Drive : DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device

> DVD-Rom Drive : ROXIO DVD-ROM EMULATOR

> Monitor Type : Asus ASUS VH236H - 23 inches

> Network Card : Broadcom BCM43XNM 802.11n Network Adapter

> Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

> Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

> DirectX : Version 11.00

> Windows Performance Index : 7.5 on 7.9

Have you tried putting your video memory in the advanced settings to default?

I also have been noticing this issue. I have the same cpu as you do, just not overclocked. I'm running two nvidia gtx 570s. I have video memory set to default. I had been messing around with things in my bios to see what it could possibly be, but I cant find a bottle neck anywhere. I thought I had fixed it because I logged in and was running around Electro with 55-60fps and getting high 80-90% gpu usage, but then I logged into another server and it was back to both of them being 30-50% usage and like 25-35fps in same city. Really wondering what could be causing this. I also have 16gb of DDR3 1600 RAM.

Most of the time an issue like this is more related to the engine not being coded to take full use of SLI. I'm running on 2x GTX680's and I never hit more then 60% on both cards, though that might just be the card's raw power talking.

Just have a look at the BI forums and use the search function, you should find a thread or post by me with some tests of CPU/GPU utilization. Most likely you are simply CPU limited, ArmA performance depends heavily on CPU AND GPU.

I don't think its a hardware bottleneck because it happens at random, if it was constant then i would be inclined to think that.

Yes, even

I don't think its a hardware bottleneck because it happens at random, if it was constant then i would be inclined to think that.

Yes, even with a 2500k, i use this CPU myself with a GTX570. ArmA is a fps eater and it's very hard to find a proper setup. And yes, it's random sometimes, it really gets even high end systems to it's knees, especially in big cities and lots AI. But you'll find hundreds of discussions at BI.

I currently have the view distance maxed out, but I've read that by turning it down it actually shifts the work from the CPU back to the GPU is this correct? Seems strange, but worth a try.

Just did a little test. Ran around outside of Cherno with max view distance and got 60fps with around 50-65% gpu usage. The moment I went into Cherno gpu usage shot down to around 30%. I lowered the view distance almost as low as it could go and saw no increase in gpu usage.

• Like 1

Here's another shot for reference, fps was great and both gpu's were being fully utiilized:

wnATdh.jpg

SLi works perfectly in Arma2, you wont see it do much near buildings though as going near them causes you to be CPU limited. But in forrests and away from buildings SLi make a huge difference. Dont disable it.

My guess is that you are being limited by the FPS that the server you are playing on is getting. This is a "problem" with arma. I cant explain why it works like this but it does..unfortunatly. I have been playing Arma for many years and this has always been the case. If the server is getting terrible FPS by being too bogged down or has insuficient hardware, all the Clients will suffer too.

To properly test your settings in a controlled enviornment; load normal arma (without DayZ) and go into the editior, place just your self on the map at verious locations ( in a big city/around lots of vegitation) and check your performance here. This will tell you for sure whether its your PC that is having problems or if it is (as I suspect) the servers you are playing on.

keep us up dated on your findings. With a lot more people playing Arma(DayZ) these days maybe it will get BIS to take a look at this Client/Server performance problem.

PS remember that it is normal to see GPU usage drop off around built up areas and buildings, but you should not see this out in the "wilderness" (like in some of your screen shots). Again, playing about on your own in the Editior (very easy to use) gives you a good idea of what is "normal" performance in the various areas of Arma's world.

Edited by SeanOfTheDead
  • Like 1

I also have this problem, but much worse. I had Day-Z running pretty slick and stable until suddenly my fps dropped tremendously, tried to fixed it but nothing helped. Now i have reinstalled my whole system (to windows 8), reinstalled arma and day-z, but the problem still exists.

My configuration:

AMD Phenom 9850 2.50ghz x4

Geforce 8800GT (latest drivers (302.82))

4gb memory

I tried everything on low, medium, high, soms tweaking settings i found on this forum, nvidia settings for Arma 2, different servers, updated Arma2 and Day-Z to latest versions, etc..

The weird thing is it was completely stable, but now i don't even have 5 fps..

Look at this gpu usage, It's almost as it's running on software rendering.. :

CRKym.png

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Ok wtf, i just tried starting day-z from steam, instead of from day-z commander, and there it runs perfectly.. With the same launch parameters.. I'm just going to cry in this corner ok..

EDIT 2:

Ok, it seems highly dependable on the server, but why? How is it possible that i have 5 fps (and low gpu usage) on one server and 50 (and high gpu usage) on another? Can't seem to find out what the criteria is to find a fast server, seems pretty random (different arma2 versions).

Edited by metcorne

I explained in the post above yours...

It's to do with their hardware/ how many players are on/ how many zomibes are spawned/ how long the server has been running/ whether you are in a big city like Cherno etc

Edited by SeanOfTheDead

I am also experiencing this problem. I am able to play for around 30 minutes with my GPU being fully utilized, then all of the sudden, the game pauses for a second then textures on the objects look like they are lower than low and i drop to like 2 fps.My gpu fan goes down to 60% speed and my gpu temps drop. Its like its not using its full potential to render the graphics.

8 players on the server when it is capable for 50, 40 zombies alive, how long the server has been running i am not sure, and i was on the outskirts of Cherno, maybe 300 km away. Please post an update if you find any information on this. Once i restart the game right away, everything is fine for a while again. Kind of scared to go into the big cities if this happens while looting or being chased

32bit windows 7

8gig ram

AMD Phenom II X3 2.6ghz

9800gtx+ with 512 vram (Not SLI)

Edited by JohnnyBoy53

Just did a little test. Ran around outside of Cherno with max view distance and got 60fps with around 50-65% gpu usage. The moment I went into Cherno gpu usage shot down to around 30%. I lowered the view distance almost as low as it could go and saw no increase in gpu usage.

I thought DayZ was using fixed view distance, no? Try it out in regular arma II and you will see huge jump in fps but as far as GPU usage go its probably poorly coded game.

Joke or mistake?

32-Bit version can only handle 4 gigs ram.

lol, was wondering if someone would quote me on that. I just recently upgraded my ram. Planning to upgrade to 64-bit windows 7 next time i need to reformat.

Anyone find a solution to this problem yet? I updated my GPU drivers thinking it would help. Same thing though. It is after maybe 30-40 mins of playing, regardless of where i am (Big city or in the woods) GPU still randomly decides its going to stop working hard and render the minimal graphics with 2-5 fps.