AFoo

New player experience thus far

So I just got this mod for Arma II and have played for a couple hours over 2 days. I have died more times than I have killed zombies.. (currently at 1 zombie kill, in which that zombie killed me)

I have found a few guns but never had ammo for those guns.

Things I have learned in my short time frame.

1. Other players are ***holes. => Died to other players more than zombies, and i have never had a weapon on me.

2. Weapons are harder to find than youtube videos show. => Videos show people starting with pistols or finding good weapons with ammo around that match that weapon, i have yet to find this situation. I have found some decent weapons and some ammo for decent weapons but they were guarded by ZEDS and I was killed by time i got to them.

3. If you are being chased, you can run to a bush/shrub and lay prone in it. => Whenever I am being chased if I run to a shrub and lay down with part of my body in it, the Zeds will walk up to me and walk off like I went invisible.

4. While learning the ropes, stay out of bigger towns. => Bigger towns mean more Zeds and More of those ***hole players.

5. Zeds CAN swim. => being chased? Swimming may not be the best choice.

I am still learning a lot from this game and have yet to find anything other than a crowbar to attack back with, still looking for tricks and tips to survive a little. I am enjoying the realism effects of the game (Hunger, Thirst, Bleeding, ect.)

Questions I have?

1. Where do I or How Do I, Get a map?

2. Wtf am I suppose to do with all these empty cans

3. What am I doing wrong that I can not find any weapons and ammo to defend myself?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Edited by AFoo

Grouping is the most fun. Stay out of Cherno or Elektro unless you are just grabbing shit and getting out ASAP. Play unpopulated servers until you get decent gear. Then play this shit like its Metal Gear. If you try to help other noobs 9/10 times you are going to have a bad time. For starters I have had more luck in Berezino for good gear than any other location. Its safer than Cherno or Elektro but in highly populated servers people frequent the hospital, supermarket and military tents NE of the hospital.

• Like 1

Mainly you should use this website for map : http://dayzdb.com/map#3.050.119 And also to look for loot. Secondly, DO go in main cities, on a server with few people or average people (not more than 20 should do). Then just stroll by, looting buildings and military firestations. If u get shot, no problem cuz u don't have anything anyway, once u get a gun, you're open for business. (don't use cans...)

• Like 1

Grouping is the most fun. Stay out of Cherno or Elektro unless you are just grabbing shit and getting out ASAP. Play unpopulated servers until you get decent gear. Then play this shit like its Metal Gear. If you try to help other noobs 9/10 times you are going to have a bad time. For starters I have had more luck in Berezino for good gear than any other location. Its safer than Cherno or Elektro but in highly populated servers people frequent the hospital, supermarket and military tents NE of the hospital.

Thanks for the reply, I am still trying to learn my way around, i have yet to leave the coast to be honest. I have dual monitor setup, and considering opening an online map to use as a reference. Good idea?

Mainly you should use this website for map : http://dayzdb.com/map#3.050.119 And also to look for loot. Secondly, DO go in main cities, on a server with few people or average people (not more than 20 should do). Then just stroll by, looting buildings and military firestations. If u get shot, no problem cuz u don't have anything anyway, once u get a gun, you're open for business. (don't use cans...)

I found that you can throw cans ( mistakenly did it ) could i use the can to distract zeds? just wondering

I found that you can throw cans ( mistakenly did it ) could i use the can to distract zeds? just wondering

Yeah u can, but i personally think it's garbage (literally) I just run around, trying to get a Hatchet first, so i can KILL a zed atleast up close. Second, when chased, hide in buildings, and if they come up a staircase and there is no way out, just Abort and wait a few mins then hop back in the server. Or run in a building with 2 entrances, they will walk in the first as you run out the second and you will lose agro.

Crawl ALOT, learn how far u aggro zombies, how loud u can be etc... i had alot of issues with this too at first, but i've been playing for 1 week and a half now and i've pretty much mastered this, and where to find weapons and other stuff. I personally NEVER leave Cherno or Elektro lol, mostly cuz i try n help ppl there and then get shot... But that's the way i like to play :)

Personally i just ALT+TAB to go to my map, when crawled in a safe position (building, shade of a tree, bushes, etc...)

I don't have dual monitors but I leave DayZDB accessible at all times to use the map. Height maps are almost as useful as a compass.

Yeah u can, but i personally think it's garbage (literally) I just run around, trying to get a Hatchet first, so i can KILL a zed atleast up close. Second, when chased, hide in buildings, and if they come up a staircase and there is no way out, just Abort and wait a few mins then hop back in the server. Or run in a building with 2 entrances, they will walk in the first as you run out the second and you will lose agro.

Crawl ALOT, learn how far u aggro zombies, how loud u can be etc... i had alot of issues with this too at first, but i've been playing for 1 week and a half now and i've pretty much mastered this, and where to find weapons and other stuff. I personally NEVER leave Cherno or Elektro lol, mostly cuz i try n help ppl there and then get shot... But that's the way i like to play :)

Personally i just ALT+TAB to go to my map, when crawled in a safe position (building, shade of a tree, bushes, etc...)

Yea I believe that is the way i am going to be. Not killing people unless i see the Bandit tag ... I need to learn how to use voice in game too.

Edited by AFoo

1. In game maps are most easily found in supermarkets, otherwise use http://dayzdb.com/map

2. You can use them to distract idle zeds and break hospital windows, aside from that, nothing.

3. It more or less comes down to luck sometimes. My last Cherno run, I found every single common gun and every type of AK, all with mags. Walk out with a M1911 with 7 mags and an AK-74 Kobra with 11 mags. Best chance though would be firehouses, deerstands, barns, supermarkets, and pubs, in that order.

Typically when a loot gun spawns in, the game will spawn 2 mags for said gun, unfortunately if another player beats you to it, they can just grab the mags if they already have the gun, or swap out the new gun for their old gun they used all the ammo for. Best advice is to horde any ammo you see until you get a gun.

Edited by HerrJon
  • Like 1

Double post sorry

Edited by AFoo

1. In game maps are most easily found in supermarkets, otherwise use http://dayzdb.com/map

2. You can use them to distract idle zeds and break hospital windows, aside from that, nothing.

3. It more or less comes down to luck sometimes. My last Cherno run, I found every single common gun and every type of AK, all with mags. Walk out with a M1911 with 7 mags and an AK-74 Kobra with 11 mags. Best chance though would be firehouses, deerstands, barns, supermarkets, and pubs, in that order.

Typically when a loot gun spawns in, the game will spawn 2 mags for said gun, unfortunately if another player beats you to it, they can just grab the mags if they already have the gun, or swap out the new gun for their old gun they used all the ammo for. Best advice is to horde any ammo you see until you get a gun.

You have my beans sir, Thank you

1 - maps are usually in supermarkets. Sometimes pubs, apartments, or the offices in elektro (still havent figured out if this is an office or a school).

2 - You can use them to distract the zombies by throwing them, but I can't say the last time I've done it. Usually, I just run around the zombies, letting them aggro, and then ditching them in a building. I suppose they could be quite useful if you're trying to maintain your stealth so other players don't find you, but don't worry about that at this point in the game.

3 - The weapons question shows up often. Lots of people will tell you to stay out of the big cities to avoid being killed by other players, but I don't particularly agree with that. Depending on where I spawn and the direction I enter the city, the first 5 buildings I hit are usually the corner pubs, the red brick houses, the church, the firestation and the supermarket. Supermarket is usually last unless I really need beans because of the exposure. I generally avoid the small one brown house. If you hit those first 5 buildings in a big city, it is very rare that none of them have a weapon. Taking this approach may get you killed by another player or a sniper, sure. I would rather spend 30 minutes running to a big city, trying to loot it, getting killed, respawning, and spending another 30 minutes doing it again than to spend 3 hours running through the forest and finding nothing but a hatchet.