Mrcakebombs

how much RAM does Dayz require?

Hi. about 2 weeks ago, I heard of a mod for arma 2 called 'dayz'.

I checked it out, and found that it was a zombie mod. Intrigued, I began looking at more videos, until eventually I wanted to try to find where to download it so I could play it for myself.

I need to ask a quesion:

How much RAM does DayZ mod require?

I'm not going to lie...my computer is not very good. It HAS, according to my brother at least, been upgraded with an extra 2-3 gigabytes of RAM, making it have around 4-5 GB.

However, the computer itself only has around 7GB ROM. (though i might be able to get around 8 if i cleaned it out).

Do you think that, assuming i closed all other programs that weren't necessary, set my computer to full performance mode, set all the graphics to very low, turned down the distance to minimum, played on solo or low-populated servers, and did any other in-game things to increase performance, do you think i'd have enough RAM to play?

(also, how much ROM does the mod itself take up?)

Oh u so great and u got 7 gb ram. Can we lick you? Now go read game documentation, and some infos about arma 2 engine.

download arma free, play it. DayZ needs a little bit more so if arma free is not working good you can forget dayz

Oh u so great and u got 7 gb ram. Can we lick you? Now go read game documentation, and some infos about arma 2 engine.

:Poker face:

I said i only have 4-5.

And how do i check the Arma 2 engine info?

ROM as in read only memory? :P

I guess you mean free hard disk space, and 8 gb is pretty low. You need 14 gb alone for Arma2 and Arma:OA.

4 or 5 gb of RAM should suffice, i have 2.

He has "4 or 5" GB of RAM, and 7 GB of ROM. RAM is random access memory, ROM is read only memory, they are two different things.

Anyway the recommended RAM space for arma 2 OA is 2 GB, so you have plenty. Also recommended is 7 GB hdd space, etc. So you should be able to run it fine, though probably not with the video settings at high

EDIT: if eule is right and you mean disk space, yeah 8 GB is way too low.

Edited by Falconrockateer_

Hello there

Arma will only use 2048 (2gig) of RAM maximum.

More is nice for windows etc but Arma will not touch it.

Rgds

LoK

Ram won't do shit if your CPU and GPU is ass, like Lycake said, get arma 2 free and try it out.

Hi. about 2 weeks ago, I heard of a mod for arma 2 called 'dayz'.

I checked it out, and found that it was a zombie mod. Intrigued, I began looking at more videos, until eventually I wanted to try to find where to download it so I could play it for myself.

I need to ask a quesion:

How much RAM does DayZ mod require?

I'm not going to lie...my computer is not very good. It HAS, according to my brother at least, been upgraded with an extra 2-3 gigabytes of RAM, making it have around 4-5 GB.

However, the computer itself only has around 7GB ROM. (though i might be able to get around 8 if i cleaned it out).

Do you think that, assuming i closed all other programs that weren't necessary, set my computer to full performance mode, set all the graphics to very low, turned down the distance to minimum, played on solo or low-populated servers, and did any other in-game things to increase performance, do you think i'd have enough RAM to play?

(also, how much ROM does the mod itself take up?)

Follow the instructions in this thread to enable ppl to have a look at your pc specs:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/72066-how-to-find-out-your-pc-specs-without-additional-software/

this way ppl can estimate if your pc is suitable to run the game (and if you need to update drivers)...

beware though, that the game is an alpha version (which means it has lots of bugs and problems), so even if your system is capable of running it, it's possible that it won't work or only with some effort put into it.

so if you plan to buy arma2 and operation arrowhead just for dayz and you are running low on money, you might be disappointed...(you might want to wait for the standalone release of the game, which is to be released sometime later this year)

if you don't have a problem with potentially wasting your money, knock yourself out... ;)

Just google "Can u runs it" and search dayz, its a site that analyzes your computer then matches your computer with the minimum requirements for a certain peice if software, in this case dayz

Just google "Can u runs it" and search dayz, its a site that analyzes your computer then matches your computer with the minimum requirements for a certain peice if software, in this case dayz

as a rough overview this can be useful.

however, it doesn't give info about installed drivers and some other useful info, which might help ppl make better estimates...

also it installs additional software on your pc which may (not necessarily has to) pose a security risk (i'm not a fan of using external/additional software if the tools are already onboard)...

DxDiag.txt

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea what most of that means :|

(ALSO: I heard somewhere that DayZ can work with the demo version of Arma. Is this true?)

Edited by Mrcakebombs

DxDiag.txt

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea what most of that means :|

(ALSO: I heard somewhere that DayZ can work with the demo version of Arma. Is this true?)

woah, that thing is really outdated...long time since i saw that kinda specs...

i don't think that this will even start arma 2... sorry for bad news :(

also regarding the second question...

yes, it is possible to use the free version of arma, but you'd still need to buy the operation arrowhead addon and combine those...

edit:

something else i noticed, though it's not connected to dayz...just a general advice...

your hard drive is split up into 2 equally sized partitions...

your system partition (c:) is almost full while the second one (d:) is almost empty...

you might want to transfer some data over there (user data like pictures, videos and stuff like that) and install your games on d: because windows itself needs some free space to operate well and the little space you have left on the windows partition may slow it down...

Edited by gorg_graggel