Davidentity

Non-lethal weapons/rounds

I had an idea to reduce the lethal conflicts between players. I have seen a lot gunfights in dayz and I think a lot of them could be avoided by using non-lethal weapons. A lot of people are afraid to lose their gear and they would rather shoot than be sorry. To make the choise more attractive those weapons should be more quiet than standard weapons.

My first idea is to use the underused shotguns. I have almost never seen people use shotguns. By implementing rubber bullets the shotguns would be usefull again. People might use them when they see some other players, because they would have the choise to kill or just to k.o. Other players.

Some other ideas like to use the gun to perform a melee attack to knockdown people would work in close range. This attack would be absolute silent. By giving people the chance to operate complete silently some people will think of those tactics and maybe prefers them over using a loud gun.

I'd love to hear some feedbacks thanks

• Like 6

i honestly think this is a great idea. and not just for pvp,

but knocking over Zeds quietly just by switching attachment would be great to not alert others.

obviously all the standard workings will have to be taken into consideration such as spawn chance and such

but sounds to me like something rocket and his team should atleast take note of :)

Non-Lethal weapons would be awesome. Being able to incapacitate but not kill other players would be a pretty awesome thing to have implemented. Rubber Bullets, Bean Bags, Tasers, Tear Gas. It would also allow friends to practice tactics together without killing eachother.

Edited by Psychobob

there should be something that you are also to Disarm the player when hes on the ground and his weapon will be droppd on the ground then u could always talk to him withouth worrying!

Firstly, this idea has been posted several times. Secondly, weapons such as pistols, SMG's, and shotguns pretty much do fire rubber bullets.

You sound like someone who gets killed alot for trusing people, then bitches about it on the forums. You say how this idea of yours (Well not really your idea.) will reduce deaths during PvP. I'm sure the rubber bullets wont save your life when someone creeps up behind you with a shotgun and blows your head to peices. I find it highly unlikely that something as stupid as this would be brought into DayZ.

Non-Lethal rounds.. What a joke.

Though, as someone here has mentioned, Tasers would be a fun aspect of the game. Maybe THAT would reduce PvP a little, but trying to creep up on someone is hard enough, you have more of a chance to get yourself killed than getting him with that taser. And confrontying survivors & bandits with tasers is suicide.

In the end it's all up to rocket I guess, but this is my opinion ofcourse.

koze... i do believe your a cock.

this forums are built by people to allow full freedom and confidence to post something they feel will enhance gameplay for the rest of the community.

you shoot him completely outa the water (probs cus your mother never loved you) and spoil what was a perfectly good/beneficial conversation

• Like 3

Non-lethal bullets? GREAT idea in my opinion!

Would add so much to PvP gameplay. Instead of just killing you could knock them unconcious, look what gear they have and leave them alive without their gear. Like robbing people and stuff.

I just love this idea, have my beans B)

koze... i do believe your a cock.

this forums are built by people to allow full freedom and confidence to post something they feel will enhance gameplay for the rest of the community.

you shoot him completely outa the water (probs cus your mother never loved you) and spoil what was a perfectly good/beneficial conversation

man the fuck up? This is the forum, not a bloody primary school. And if you didnt see my last sentance, i mentioned it was MY opinion. I gave constructive criticism towards the topic, so what are you bitching about?

And what do you know about my mother? She never loved me? How the hell does that relate to this topic? Just because my mother doesnt still breast feed me, like yours, doesnt meen she doesnt or didnt love me ahahaha.

Guys, you are derailing the thread. Let's talk about non-lethal bullets and not about our mothers.

Guys, you are derailing the thread. Let's talk about non-lethal bullets and not about our mothers.

I stated that in my last comment.

Great idea, not everyone is in this just to kill other people. If I could knock that poor bastard out and drag his body into a bush rather than just ending his sad existence because he might find what I'm looking for before me, would be a much welcome change of gameplay.

Takes more guts not to shoot-on-sight.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, though attitude (being a cock) isn't needed, wanted or warrented. Doing so just labels yourself as a troll and gets your opinion ignored.

Well I think there is one point why people will use this technic. When you can take out someone silently it's a huge advantage.

@koze

My goal in this game is to survive. My actual character lives since 9 days and has a lot of best in slot items. I have a nvg, a rangefinder, a gps etc etc. my current weapons are mk 48 mod 0, a dmr and a m107 and a g17. All I need I

To perfect gear are a ghillie, a m9 sd and L85a2 lws.

I havnt killed anyone so far because I decided to play this game as realistic as possible and I think I would just kill for self defense because I have all the gear I need. I just observe other players a lot with my rangefinder from afar.

Well this is my way to play and I think it's fun to do so.

edit: found a ghilli yay

Edited by Davidentity

Ok lets talk facts then.

How much KO-Damage? Obviously Onehit-KO is out of the question.

What range should they be effective at? Obviously much lower than conventional firearms due to much lower muzzle velocity

(since it shouldnt be deadly)

How would KO work? Would you be just unconscious and (like now) unlootable?

etc..

Imo, projectiles should only have a short KO time, melee based non-lethal's should be longer. So you can "stun" and then get in close and knockout.

Not sure about being unlootable, handy, but definitely not in the "feel" of the game.

Side thought: imagine if unconsciousness in game was actually a blackout? Imagine the anxiety of not knowing whether or not you were about to die...

I think the backpack should be lootable. Maybe you can disarm the guy (he keeps his weapon but he can not use it for a period of time or something like that.

My thoughts:

All non-lethals cause pain and shock.

Chance of KO that goes up with the rarity of non-lethals and inverse to the range. (A stun-gun has a high-level KO, a taser a moderate KO).

Some can blind opponents too (teargas canisters).

Rubber bullets cause fractures as well.

All non-lethal weapons KO on headshots.

• Like 1

wow, some nice ideas! i wonder if the engine could work this way.

Edited by Davidentity

The black out idea is cool or even have it so the screen blurs so you can still see that someone is looting you. seeing as most people are carrying at maximum capacity you would still be left with something.

This could also be used as a non lethal way of getting someone to stop following you. Rather than put a bullet in them, you could just bounce a rubber one off their head and walk off feeling guilt free (assuming they don't get eaten).