pwnage13371

Am I really allowed to kick people for having names like "Admin"

There are lots of people in my server with names like, "owner," "admin," and "administrator."

I've seen admins kick for this before but I'm not sure if its allowed.

Edited by pwnage13371

You know they're not being malicious, right?

In their infinite wisdom, BI decided to name the first player profile after the Windows account that it is attached to.

So if they are logged into their Administrator account on their computer, their profile is named Administrator.

• Like 3

99.9% of those players just installed the game, and that name comes from the computer name, they still haven't created a profile. I don't know if you break any rule by kicking them but it probably makes them rage. Try to add some welcome message on your server letting people know you don't allow those names and that they must create a new profile to change it (have seen this sort of msgs in several servers).

Edited by sebastian.w
  • Like 1

Probably not, it's pretty annoying when a cheater is named admin though since most players don't have common sense and assume that it's actually a server admin cheating, maybe instead of kicking them simply put a MOTD that lists the admins or have all admins use a clan tag?

Edited by smasht_AU

Probably not, it's pretty annoying when a cheater is named admin though since most players don't have common sense and assume that it's actually a server admin cheating, maybe instead of kicking them simply put a MOTD that lists the admins or have all admins use a clan tag?

Yes, indeed. I think that the scripters deliberately choosing names like this is the reason that server admins are getting a bad rap.

What you can do is add the names you don't want in your server to a list of blocked names and they will not be allowed to join until they make another profile with a different name.

This is perfectly fine.

Edited by LunaTiK

just add line to server description with admin name in it...

the lines that appear when you log on to server with all the "hosted by"... "play well"... text lines...

---

why the web site/forum work slow? or its only for me? :huh:

What a dumb question.. Admin is the name of there PC.. When it was installed.. that was what it was called.. No you are not ok with kicking or banning for that.. jeez this is what gives server admins a bad name..

If you use BEC it kicks them automatically...

This is what I use

Exactly, Just use BEC and put the names in that you don't want on the server. Use your head with this though. They will not be allowed to stay on the server and will get a warning why. All they have to do is go change their profile name which isn't difficult at all. You aren't banning anyone and you aren't kicking anyone during the middle of gameplay. No harm no foul.

Edited by LunaTiK

What a dumb question.. Admin is the name of there PC.. When it was installed.. that was what it was called.. No you are not ok with kicking or banning for that.. jeez this is what gives server admins a bad name..

HURRDURR, I'm retarded.

This is what this post screams to me.

Please silence yourself before you sound even more hurrdurr.

• Like 1

If you use BEC it kicks them automatically...

This is what I use

+1.

only if you have a dedicated server.

if you rent a managed one. your screwed on the names

only if you have a dedicated server.

if you rent a managed one. your screwed on the names

Incorrect. You can kick them with a polite message ( I usually just say 'Please change your name, then come back. ) and nobody is going to say boo to you about it. I kick anyone with the name Admin, Owner, Administrator, or anything that may give new players the impression that the player is anything but just another player.

I kick with 'Bad name' as a kick reason.

I've seen conversations in the logs with pubs and an 'Administrator' before and I'm not about to let that happen again.