dalgcais

Kidnapping/ Slave Trafficking/ Cannibalism?

So instead of "waiting for server response" i'll be "waiting for cannibals to eat you"? It's an interesting idea sure enough, but implementing tons of ways for players to immobilize and capture each other could lead to abuse. Which will lead to captured players just logging out. As of right now, a well armed group can ambush another player and demand he drop his gear. This can be a lot more tense then someone simply shooting you with a rubber bullet and tying you up. If there were dedicated private servers where the same people played against each other every day and were comfortable playing "enemies" I could see this working. Otherwise we'll just have immature people tying up recently spawned players just for the fun of it. Which I don't feel is any more acceptable then the players demanding bandits be punished for being bandits. It'd be great if it were implemented well, you'd just have to accept some people don't want to play along.. and those who alert their friends on TS that they were just kidnapped kind ruining the rp.

They are punished because their only real choice is "Roleplay with us or get killed and lose everything".

As opposed to what happens now - Die...or' date=' well, die.

Either way, if a Bandit gets close to you and he's clear in his intentions, he's either going to kill you or you're going to escape.

If you're caught by a kidnapper and you choose to abort or disconnect, then you're likely to die anyway. However, if you decide to continue on with the scenario, you could very well survive.

I don't believe the player is being [i']forced to do anything. They're just being offered an alternative experience that doesn't involve being shot in the head by a bandit with a Sniper Rifle.

As you already state... people that are avid RP players would stand more chance to get out then people that have no clue how to RP, how is that not a punishment? You go from the idea that everyone should play this as an RPG and that doesn't make sense.

No, I said that the kidnappers could choose not to loot the corpse of a player who has chosen to disconnect. That is, if they respect that players choice not to participate.

If Rocket decides to implement a system where disconnecting players remain in the game, I imagine such people will be shot anyway, either by passers-by, bandits, or as noted, the kidnappers.

If they pass out and you can just tie them up (while they can't do anything.. even talk!) then the choice is 100% gone and they're forced to deal with it even if its against their playstyle/choice.

As I've noted previously, if a Bandit ever got that close to an unconscious player they would more than likely shoot them on sight and steal their loot. I've even seen it happen in a PC Gamer article. They seen an unsconcious Bandit laying in a field, so they shot him and stole his loot.

If you do happen to find yourself all tied up and you feel that you don't want to partake in the kidnapping scenario, I'm sure they could simply back out and leave their fate to the kidnappers. They would've died anyway if it had been a regular bandit using anything other than a rubber bullet.

i dont understand the viewpoint against this - why wouldnt you want to expand gameplay? its another option instead of just getting shot > die.

instead of getting shot straight away, this would allow your character to live longer and give variety to the gameplay... attempting to escape, rescue, get dragged through shit and watch whoever killed you die.. whatever, its variety in gameplay mechanics - it gives more choice to players

+3 for the ideas op, most have been suggested before and ill bump it again and again

You know what would make cannibalism awesome?

If you have a hunting knife, you can make steaks like w/any animal. But...You get the hunger. You eat a person out of spite/desperation, and soon you'll begin to slowly loose blood until you feed again.

I like the idea of non-lethal weapons and temporary restraints. I play a survivor, and have never murdered anyone, but that means sneaking away from most encounters. I've been killed by bandits several times when i didn't have any particularly good gear. If the bandits are anything like me, their inventories are already almost full anyway. I'd rather be incapacitated and have them steal whatever they're going to steal and then leave me with the rest of my stuff than have to respawn. If I'm trying to loot a building and see someone else approaching, it would be nice to be able to get the drop on them and tie them up for a few minutes while i finish looting, rather than having to sneak away or kill them or risk being killed.

I think Rocket inadvertently implemented a reason for bandits to hold survivors up rather than murder them when he put in the lootable skins. If a player is wearing the skin, you can't take it from their corpse. You have to have them take it off first. Other items could be added that work the same way to give bandits incentive to rob rather than kill.

For the mechanics of how restraints should work, they should apply a temporary debuff that prevents someone from firing or throwing anything, and possibly a movement speed debuff. You could get up and try to walk away while still cuffed, but you wouldn't be able to defend yourself until the debuff wore off. The restraints should be non-reusable and fairly uncommon to limit griefing. Anyone captured and restrained could commit suicide to get out of the situation, but then they lose all their stuff. There could be a smaller humanity hit for using restraints/nonlethal weapons, and the debuff could be removed by another player with a hunting knife, or disappear on its own after a few minutes.

As far as cannibalism and slavery go, I don't think they add enough to the game to be worthwhile. Food is already plentiful, and if you have the means to cook human flesh, you can easily get and cook animal meat instead, and cannibalism would get the game banned in some countries. Slavery would be hard to implement via mechanics, and the cost of submitting to the kidnapper's demands has to be less than the cost of suiciding and respawning or nobody but roleplayers will do it, and they can already roleplay it if they want.

i dont understand the viewpoint against this - why wouldnt you want to expand gameplay? its another option instead of just getting shot > die.

instead of getting shot straight away, this would allow your character to live longer and give variety to the gameplay... attempting to escape, rescue, get dragged through shit and watch whoever killed you die.. whatever, its variety in gameplay mechanics - it gives more choice to players

+3 for the ideas op, most have been suggested before and ill bump it again and again

I feel so frustrated that it's so difficult to push these things into the game. One down, 2 more to go.

I'm sorry but if there's any game that can utilize this kind of expansion it's DayZ. It's a survival sandbox game, things like this would only add to the game's depth.

Rocket already promised character value, if your character itself can gain value aside from its gear, you'd be willing to follow the system and try to escape slavery even if all your gears are gone.

Like running in DayZ and many other things like thirst and hunger, it's more fast paced in DayZ than in Reallife, this is to keep the gamers drawn to the game world while not boring their senses. There's a balance to this. The same logic should be apply to the enslave cycle.

The cycle of being enslaved and escape or get killed should only last no more than 1 hour and 30 min. This is assuming all the things Rocket promise is in the game right now. You can become good at suturing, hence less likely to gain infection from sutures. If your character survived from a disease, it gain immunity from the disease. - Those are the two things Rocket mentioned but obviously there's going to be more. Assuming those are implemented correctly, no combat logging, no server hopping. The enslave mechanic should be functional in the game.

Would everyone be enslaving their captives? No, it takes lots of manpower and supply for this task. The only people that would decide to take you back to where ever they came from, are people with a base.

Edited by Day Unit

I just want to be able to put people into the trunk of a car, pull them out in the middle of nowhere, then feed them rotten bananas and rubbing alcohol and let them go free.

hard to see how this would work if a captured player can just log out and spawn on another server.

idea is ok but limited if you are just capturing to be cannibalistic, agree that there should be some health consequences or risks