Maks (DayZ)

DayZ Standalone Game Class Perks.

I like the idea of perks, but maybe they could call it "professions" to reflect people's actually vocational skills pre-infection. Instead of "traveler" maybe you have "athlete" and instead of "gunslinger" maybe you have "police officer" or "marine", etc. Nice idea

Great idea!

I think, that there could be another kind of perks. For example as traveler you could start with a map and maybe even with GPS, as medic with bandages and blood pack etc.You would get 1-3 items that would help you start playing your class. Another and maybe better possibility is that you would find your class-specific loot more often.

I am quite sure that character specialization would help people to cooperate more and motivate them more to form groups.

Thank you for the comment all ideas are welcome but the core player base like the fact that when you start you have nothing on you, and something like a GPS and Map are very rare and overpowered items that no player should start with. As for the class specific loot I would have to disagree with you once more simply that it would break game mechanics, basically making it easier for a certain class to find something over another player of a different class. Cheers!

Yeah I have to agree, class specific loot would probably be a bad way to go. These 'perks' or 'professions' should literally just be something do give a slight non-pvp advantage over a very specific detail. List of possible professions:

- Doctor/Nurse - Heal faster/more effective healing

- Athlete - Be able to run faster/further

- Body Builder - Carry more weight (not more slots, and this would depend on if weight was introduced into inventory management)

- Locksmith - First introduce locked doors, he could pick locks (or pick locks faster)

- Cop/Military - Trying to think non-pvp, so possibly break down locked doors (creating lots of noise for zombies/players to hear) and maybe hold ammo in toolbelt

- Mechanic - Repair vehicles with more common items (like MacGyver, use hose, tin can, elastic band, etc)

- Farmer/Butcher - Get more food out of animals

The list could go on and on, and as other people have stated, with giving you something good, maybe take something away? Example doctors can't have a secondary weapon because it's filled with their doctor's bag. Would have to try and balance that out, or could just stick with giving each person 1 extra nice 'perk'. And the other way we could go about implementing such a feature as stated above was to introduce very rare items that could serve a similar purpose. Instead of choosing a background 'profession', you find an extra rare item that could be say an ammo belt, or a police officers belt. This would remove your 2nd row from your toolbelt and give you that room for just ammo. Find a lock picking set for picking locks instead of breaking doors down loudly. But then comes the question can a player have more than one of these 'perk' items?

So I would like to hear feedback on people's thoughts on both of these methods, their inputs regarding each one and maybe add something to flesh out the idea.

No. This is dayz not fallout 3. Its not suppose to be a RPG. Its suppose hardcore zombie survival. Anyway it won't matter you're character will die eventually. Probably in less then a week.

No. This is dayz not fallout 3. Its not suppose to be a RPG. Its suppose hardcore zombie survival. Anyway it won't matter you're character will die eventually. Probably in less then a week.

Thank you for the comment! If you could elaborate on why you think this is a poor idea it would be great.

I have played L4D and Fallout 3, yet the idea that has grown into what it is now in no way ecourages any RPG aspect. You are correct that this is a hardcore zombie survival simulator, therefore it would make sense to ecourage co-op play (to prolong survivability) and of course to add more items into the game (increase the time you play and search for said items). The current state in which this system is presented is that extra rare items will be presented into the game that will add something to your role as a survivor at the cost of something else that you have (getting a doctor's bag would take up the secondary weapon slot, kinda like you do with a current flashlight system). Such items would be useful to find, give people a reason to team up since everyone would have a 'profession', and would not affect the PVP aspect of the game in its current state.

As of right now the game does not have any end game except for sniping Cherno with my AS50. There is also no point to group up really since whatever you can do in a group you can do alone, co-op play just saves time if you need to carry multiple items at once. Oh and as for dying the game is designed to kill you, if you have played a decent amount of time you will probably live longer than a week if you are not stupid.

Thank you for the comment!

I'll be honest, it's a cool idea that makes sense but I wouldn't want it in the game and I'll explain why.

First why I like it, it's a good idea that makes sense. Depending on your occupation before this zombie epidemic, people would have had occupations which would have made them better suited to do certain things. I say the pre zombie occupation you had should be completely randomized at start of your character. This would also encourage co op play as you would want people with certain skills sets to be with you. You would not be able to do everything needed to survive by yourself or at least not effectively. Yes it does make sense and is kind of cool.

But it kind of gets to the point of where do these game changing features stop? One of the great things about Day Z is it's simplicity. Once you start adding too many features it starts to inch it's way towards mirroring ever other game on the market. Small changes here and there to improve certain things is cool but too many big changes it going to change what makes Day Z special.

Some form of clothes for customization could be cool but keep it simple, a few different civilian looking clothes to start off (no camo, you are a random survivor after all, find your camo in some random loot pile, maybe off a dead soldier). As far as ghillie suits maybe you can add a feature to customize it to match your current surroundings by grabbing plants/dirt/branches/bushes and stuff around you. Maybe different camo patterns and in different colors throughout the game and the ability to maybe only put on the pants of the camo. (Mix and match if you feel like looking like a douche for all I care :P )

Edited by Lights Out
  • Like 1

I'll be honest, it's a cool idea that makes sense but I wouldn't want it in the game and I'll explain why.

First why I like it, it's a good idea that makes sense. Depending on your occupation before this zombie epidemic, people would have had occupations which would have made them better suited to do certain things. I say the pre zombie occupation you had should be completely randomized at start or your character. This would also encourage co op play as you would want people with certain skills sets to be with you. You would not be able to do everything needed to survive by yourself or at least not effectively. Yes it does make sense and is kind of cool.

But it kind of gets to the point of where do these features stop? One of the great things about Day Z is it's simplicity. Once you start adding too many features it starts to inch it's way towards mirroring ever other game on the market.

Some form of clothes for customization could be cool but keep it simple, a few different civilian looking clothes to start off (no camo, you are a random survivor after all, find your camo in some random loot pile, maybe off a dead soldier). As far as ghillie suits maybe you can add a feature to customize it to match your current surroundings by grabbing plants/dirt/branches/bushes and stuff around you. Maybe different camo patterns and in different colors throughout the game and the ability to maybe only put on the pants of the camo. (Mix and match if you feel like looking like a douche for all I care :P )

Thank you for the brilliant post and a fantastic input of your opinion. Glad to hear someone's yes/no and why.

I believe that this game's simplicity is the key for the success of the current mod and the future of this game altogether. Yet the idea in my opinion and other people I spoke with makes sense and would be a great implimentation into the game at a VERY BALANCED and MINOR change state. I truly believe that Rocket and his Dev team would know quite well how to impliment a PURPOSE to this game without filling it with junk and useless copycat game breaking mechanics. This idea is good and people will team up because of that.

The mod is in Alpha stage and the standalone game doesn't even have a pricepoint to date, I really hope that people do not think that a title in it's Alpha stage or even a Beta stage isn't subjected to change and constant fix. I would be VERY disapointed if the game stayed the way it is, because all it is at the moment is an empty shell of a game with some mindless/unorganized pvp and easy as hell zombie survival. Do not get me wrong, I love it and by far this is the best game I have played in a long time to quench my survival/zombie thirst. But to accept that this game should have no changes for the sake of 'simplicity' would be a shame since there would be nothing else to do. I currently have Cayote Backpack, Gillie, AS50, M4A1 CCO and a bunch of crap I dont know what to do with along with a hidden car up north, I simply have nothing else to do except maybe visit Cherno once in a while to perform heartless sniping or search for a working helicopter that once I fix I have NOTHING else to do.

Thank you so much for the great comment!

• Like 1

I respect your opInion but honestly I think that's not what DayZ is about, that is the direction "The War Z" is going and I would much rather have DayZ the way it is, everyone equal, you have you have to start with nothing and build from there.

• Like 1

I respect your opInion but honestly I think that's not what DayZ is about, that is the direction "The War Z" is going and I would much rather have DayZ the way it is, everyone equal, you have you have to start with nothing and build from there.

I would never want it to become WarZ good god. Somewhere mid post a post made by xDIx Revenge was stating that instead of making such 'professions' at the start of the game turn all of this into additional items. This way people still start with nothing, have to work up to being someone and this way have a reason to constantly look for items to improve the character (the items would be rare and if you are to take the item you would have to sacrifice something to gain the benefit such as lose a line of the toolbelt slots for a line of ammo slots). Either way its up to Rocket to showcase the future of DayZ, best of luck to him and his Dev team!

Thank you for the comment.

• Like 1

Indeed I do agree, it is in alpha and theres plenty of things they can still add to the game. I definitely am not against adding to the game and continuing to improve on it. I think you get what I mean though about keeping that core simplicity. You can add a lot to the game while keeping that simplicity so I'm in no way against extra features and having things to work towards.

One of the biggest things that must be addressed first above all is the survival aspects and the zombies themselves. they are the highest priority and of equal importance. Big thing about the zombies is they aren't much of a threat. There is no fear of them. This is a zombie survival game yet I feel the zombies are but a small obstacle in the road that I just need to drive around. If you fire you're weapon in this game you should pay for it. Every zombie within a certain vicinity should be headed in your direction. You should have that "oh shit" feeling when you see a zombie you don't expect. You should have no idea if you're going to survive if your getting chased by zombies.

• Like 1

I do still like some kind of random slight advantage that as mentioned before gives you absolutely no pvp advantage as h8crew mentioned. I believe you mentioned some along those lines as well Mak. Something that just makes you an asset to another player. It will encourage team play while not hurting players that want to go solo. They will just have a harder time then people playing as a team would.

• Like 1

Yeah, thats why I said they should add more outfits such as Gillie Suit (one that I am wearing) or the Camo. Not just two alternate outfits.

The ghillie suit and camo clothing we have is fine. Also, they are the only ones in arma 2. any other outfits have to be designed manually. So since you like the idea of having more ghillie suits that look exactly the same and do the exact same thing, why dont you do it?

The ghillie suit and camo clothing we have is fine. Also, they are the only ones in arma 2. any other outfits have to be designed manually. So since you like the idea of having more ghillie suits that look exactly the same and do the exact same thing, why dont you do it?

Well that is not true, Arma2 which is the game on which DayZ (the mod) is slapped on top of has multiple military style skins that could be potentially used. Yet the topic about the outfits was kinda directed towards the new Standalone DayZ game which makes sense would use the new Arma3 Real Vertuality 4 engine, and since the game would have to be made 'manually' anyways as you say I do not see an issue of adding multiple outfits to the default models as items to find. By the looks of the current suggestions on this forum people want to have larger maps in the new game and different seasons or biomes which as I saw suggested snow and swams. Unless your green gillie ass wishes to stick out like a sore thumb in the pretty white snow it would make sense for the game Devs to add some outfits different biomes and cosmetic changes to the survivor outfit.

Oh and as for the "why dont you do it?", gladly my friend! I am an industry professional.

Here a flipside to the Perks issue.....

Let the system track your activity on special tasks and after doing it many, many, many times, you might EARN a perk...(you'll likely die long before you get one or you can become damn mechanic lurking in the remote forests of Cerno).

Note: Anything that relates to combat/senses/speed should be left alone...

Do you repair vehicles all the time? Well then after doing it for a while (I mean a long while), you get more skilled.. you get a perk.

Do you regularly give first aid to others? Maybe your speed goes up and maybe you can even eventually get some perk (faster bandage times, healing ability, cure infections, whatever)

Do you hunt and gut animals all the time... Maybe you can get an extra meat...

None are game changing, and all would reflect your character improving as they survive.

• Like 1

I think most of the features people have been putting up as of late are more geared towards the stand alone as most of these things obviously can't be put into the arma II mod. I know when I put in my input, it's with the idea of the possibilities and the freedom that the day z standalone will have. I would much rather they just get the MOD stable so all the people upset about it going standalone will at least be content..somewhat lol because they don't understand all the limitations of having a game as a MOD. Then just put all of their power towards working on the standalone to get a working alpha out sooner as it has a future and has endless possibilties. Sorry but the arma II MOD at this point is an old toy that they're trying to duct tape and super glue stuff onto to improve it.

Edited by Lights Out
  • Like 2

I think most of the features people have been putting up as of late are more geared towards the stand alone as most of these things obviously can't be put into the arma II mod. I know when I put in my input, it's with the idea of the possibilities and the freedom that the day z standalone will have. I would much rather they just get the MOD stable so all the people upset about it going standalone will at least be content..somewhat lol because they don't understand the all the limitations of having a game as a MOD. Then just put all of their power towards working on the standalone to get a working alpha out sooner as it has a future and has endless possibilties. Sorry but the arma II MOD at this point is an old toy that they're trying to duct tape and super glue stuff onto to improve it.

Cheers for a great explanation.

Oh and as for the "why dont you do it?", gladly my friend! I am an industry professional.

Maks, you model/texture I'll skin it up to the character. I'm a Character Technical Director lol

• Like 1

i personaly cant wait for dayz to go standalone but im hoping that they add this stuff its a big list of stuff but yeah pick what you like point out what you dont i really dont care here are my ideas

i was thinking that we should be able to create our own custom map with everything spawnable including,

-doors with turn cranks

-bared windows

-seatable chairs

-turrets

-searchlights

-road maker

-vehicles

-fences

-walls

-destroyed cars

-weapons crates

-customizable weapons

-more melee weapons

-placeable trees

-zombie spawns

-animal spawns

-player spawns

-spawnable vehicle parts for repair or build with spawnable disabled vehicles

-NO MORE ZOMBIES OPENING DOORS AND PHASING THROUGH STUFF!!!!!

-these vehicles added

HMMWV [uS], HMMWV Utility [uS], HMMWV (Ambulance) [uS], HMMWV Terminal [uS],

HMMWV SOV [uS], HMMWV GPK (M2) [uS], HMMWV CROWS (M2) [uS],

Military Offroad (M2) [Takistan Army], MTVR (Ammo) [uS], MTVR (Repair) [uS],

Supply Truck [uS] , MTVR (Fuel) [uS], Stryker ICV (M2) [uS], Military Offroad (M2) [Takistan Militia]

Offroad (DShKM) [Takistan Local], Pickup (PK) [Takistan Locals],

UH-60M [uS], UH-60M MEV [uS], MH-6J [uS], An-2 [Takistan Army], Merlin HC3 [bAF],

AH-6X [uS], M270 MLRS [uS], M113 Ambulance [Takistan Army],

Stryker MEV [uS], AH-64D [uS], Ka-60 (M32) [PMC], UAZ (DShKM) [Takistan Army]

this is alot but its an editor mode so you must have alot of options and tools

i personaly cant wait for dayz to go standalone but im hoping that they add this stuff its a big list of stuff but yeah pick what you like point out what you dont i really dont care here are my ideas......

[sHORTENED]

Stay on topic. Your post doesn't have much to do with the OP. If you have your own suggestions lay them out in your own thread. If you want the poster of the OP to know your ideas, maybe message him elsewhere, but keep the comments on topic.

• Like 1

Maybe not classes/perks.... But maybe an ability to become better at one thing or another. Rewarding the player - like the more you bandage wounds, the quicker you become at it over time, a levelling system mayhap? Become more proficient with weapons the more loyal to a weapon you are, the better you are with it.

Hmm, this would be fun if every class has something positive and something negative.

example: The medic is fast healer, but he is too weak to do proper damage with a melee weapon.

So can you chose if you want a class with good and bad things, or just being a normal civilian with everything neutral.

(classes will be good for groups and civilians for lone players)

I think a better way of doing this, is letting us have all these skills except we must learn them, so by repairing we will slowly repair faster, or by scoping and sniping we will get more accuracy over time.

and we could see how good we are at all this stuff in a new stats board.

For example one of the stats could be stamina.

The more stamina you have obviousely the longer you can run without getting worn-out, that also means you can run longer without loosing accuracy.