Maks (DayZ)

DayZ Standalone Game Class Perks.

Hello,

I have been playing the DayZ mod for Arma2 for about a month and a half now, absolutely loving the mod and quite happy to hear that the Standalone game is announced so quickly. Being that all the focus in the DayZ project should be on the standalone game from now on I have looked at how the current game mod is and how people are playing this fantastic game.

Simply put I have come up with an idea to add 'Perks' to the character creation menu, when you make the character it will ask you to select 'Male' or 'Female' and select one of the 'Perks' listed during the character creation. The 'Perks' are not ment to be overpowered, it would be a small change in the character statistics and would encourage people to team up more creating organized groups all having a role to play. Examples of some of the 'Perks' I came up with are as followed:

Survivor: The Sight and Sound meters are slightly muffled than the other classes.

Traveler: The Thurst and Hunger meter will have a longer time limit before flashing red.

Pack Rat: Slight increase in the default inventory space and the ability to wear a Backpack and a Chest Pouch (Giving a purpose to the useless smaller bags).

Gun Slinger: The time it takes for the aim to stabilize after sprinting or running is shorter.

Medic: The time it takes to bandage or give a blood transfusion is slightly shorter than other classes.

Mechanic: Can repair a broken vehicle faster and use less parts (such as jerry rigging).

Some ideas were to add a Harcore class that would have no changes to the base stats and maybe a Sniper class giving a much more stable aim when using any scope weapon.

All these 'Perks' would give people a bit more focus in the game and encourage teaming up to attack other groups or fixing cars and sending out raids instead of shooting the first person you see in the face (even though its freaking fun as hell). I know that PVP is a huge part of this game and therefore balanced role enforced groups would be more fun than a lone sniper sitting 1000m away who shoots and alt+f4.

Please leave comments or any ideas and tweaks to the current post, all criticism is welcome. I really hope that Dean 'Rocket' Hall can spot this post and consider it.

Thank you!

P.S. So far there are only the Camo and Gillie suits in the game, if the standalone has many more outfits it would be amazing (people love outfits, example being Hats in TF2). That can be worked into maybe seasons in the game, therefore the need for a winter camo outfit during the snowy months of the game.

• Like 9

I'm a firm believer that this mod sets itself apart by not having features such as this, no offense obviously. I truly hope that Rocket & Bohemia keep the gameplay and atmosphere exactly how it is.

Edited by Resin_
  • Like 9

Great ideas! I really like that the classes aren't so specialized but just provide a little edge in one direction or another.

No, also the hats in tf2 suck very much, they are used to boost stats,

See the interviews made by rocket, also go back to cod

And use search function, and stop spamming ideas that everyone has had before, newblet

• Like 3

I wont play this game anymore if it gets classes.

• Like 3

Thank you for the comments, the hats do suck I made it as an example saying that everyone would love to have a gillie over the base survivor outfit. If you believe that a gillie suit does not give you a slight advantage over the survivor suit in the the game when facing another player you are mistaken. This isn't an idea for an RPG aspect of the game, matter of fact I love the way the game is and would hate to have quests or any of that. The 'Perks' do not add power over one player or another, instead it just adds a slight edge and a good reason to be in a group with other people who can help.

Cheers for the comments both positive and negative!

• Like 1

NO perks. The fact that every character is the SAME and the game is based on user's skill is what makes this game competitive and fun!

Lol, people just don't get it..

I think if the classes served, as the OP stated, a VERY minor boost or edge then it would great. While playing with your group of friends you could have your medic, your mechanic etc, would certainly add a nice little element to the game. People have trades in real life, since this is a zombie survival simulator and not L4D, it would make sense to have people with different "professions". You get 10 people in a group and tell me that they will all run the same speed, all know how to fix a car, all magically know how to give blood transfusions. Being a simulator this makes a lot of sense and given that the professions would just be a super minor edge on gameplay I am all for this. Great idea Maks, people who don't agree obviously don't want this simulator to be as close to real life as possible.

• Like 4

No, also the hats in tf2 suck very much, they are used to boost stats,

Only 5(?) hats in the game did this and they stopped making them after the community gave massive backlash for it. You also needed to equip the rest of the weapon set so it was more of a downgrade then a boost.

Edited by Yatterman

Hello,

I have been playing the DayZ mod for Arma2 for about a month and a half now, absolutely loving the mod and quite happy to hear that the Standalone game is announced so quickly. Being that all the focus in the DayZ project should be on the standalone game from now on I have looked at how the current game mod is and how people are playing this fantastic game.

Simply put I have come up with an idea to add 'Perks' to the character creation menu, when you make the character it will ask you to select 'Male' or 'Female' and select one of the 'Perks' listed during the character creation. The 'Perks' are not ment to be overpowered, it would be a small change in the character statistics and would encourage people to team up more creating organized groups all having a role to play. Examples of some of the 'Perks' I came up with are as followed:

Survivor: The Sight and Sound meters are slightly muffled than the other classes.

Traveler: The Thurst and Hunger meter will have a longer time limit before flashing red.

Pack Rat: Slight increase in the default inventory space and the ability to wear a Backpack and a Chest Pouch (Giving a purpose to the useless smaller bags).

Gun Slinger: The time it takes for the aim to stabilize after sprinting or running is shorter.

Medic: The time it takes to bandage or give a blood transfusion is slightly shorter than other classes.

Mechanic: Can repair a broken vehicle faster and use less parts (such as jerry rigging).

Some ideas were to add a Harcore class that would have no changes to the base stats and maybe a Sniper class giving a much more stable aim when using any scope weapon.

All these 'Perks' would give people a bit more focus in the game and encourage teaming up to attack other groups or fixing cars and sending out raids instead of shooting the first person you see in the face (even though its freaking fun as hell). I know that PVP is a huge part of this game and therefore balanced role enforced groups would be more fun than a lone sniper sitting 1000m away who shoots and alt+f4.

Please leave comments or any ideas and tweaks to the current post, all criticism is welcome. I really hope that Dean 'Rocket' Hall can spot this post and consider it.

Thank you!

P.S. So far there are only the Camo and Gillie suits in the game, if the standalone has many more outfits it would be amazing (people love outfits, example being Hats in TF2). That can be worked into maybe seasons in the game, therefore the need for a winter camo outfit during the snowy months of the game.

Liked the snowy months part, tracking bandits down with footprints in the snow! :D

• Like 2

I wouldn't like any classes/perks. I think everyone should start equal, you're a survivor and have just been thrown into a dieing world with barely nothing. That's what makes this game great.

• Like 1

Hello,

Thank you!

No perks, no classes, no hats. You've got the wrong game, this mod is based of a military simumlator, you do not simply carry more things in your backpack because you have a perk for it. Theres no point of wearing hats, the whole point of surviving is not being seen, by zombies or bandits. So yeah great idea lets all run around with little gay bunny rabbit hats.

I don't say this alot but, GO BACK TO COD.

I wouldn't like any classes/perks. I think everyone should start equal, you're a survivor and have just been thrown into a dieing world with barely nothing. That's what makes this game great.

You would still start with nothing, and still be thrown into 'a dying world with barely nothing'. Everyone would be equal, the Perks do not make you a better player or make it easier to find items and survive a zombie horde. The 'Perks' will not help you live a shot from an AS50 1100m away either, dealing 174,205 blood damage with an AS50 round. This is ment to encourage to do what they like to do in a group.

No perks, no classes, no hats. You've got the wrong game, this mod is based of a military simumlator, you do not simply carry more things in your backpack because you have a perk for it. Theres no point of wearing hats, the whole point of surviving is not being seen, by zombies or bandits. So yeah great idea lets all run around with little gay bunny rabbit hats.

I don't say this alot but, GO BACK TO COD.

I am sorry my friend, I don't think you have paid any attention to anything that you have read. At no point did I mention anywhere in any of my posts to add hats to the game. I was talking about adding more miliraty clothing such as 'Camo Outfit' and the 'Gillie Suit' which you can kindly find in many Pubs, Barracks and Schools. Those outfits add a bit of change to the default Survivor Outfit and in case of the Gillie Suit it adds the ability to blend in.

I am sorry my friend, I don't think you have paid any attention to anything that you have read. At no point did I mention anywhere in any of my posts to add hats to the game. I was talking about adding more miliraty clothing such as 'Camo Outfit' and the 'Gillie Suit' which you can kindly find in many Pubs, Barracks and Schools. Those outfits add a bit of change to the default Survivor Outfit and in case of the Gillie Suit it adds the ability to blend in.

You're an idiot, they are already in the game.

You're an idiot, they are already in the game.

Yeah, thats why I said they should add more outfits such as Gillie Suit (one that I am wearing) or the Camo. Not just two alternate outfits.

I think if the classes served, as the OP stated, a VERY minor boost or edge then it would great. While playing with your group of friends you could have your medic, your mechanic etc, would certainly add a nice little element to the game. People have trades in real life, since this is a zombie survival simulator and not L4D, it would make sense to have people with different "professions". You get 10 people in a group and tell me that they will all run the same speed, all know how to fix a car, all magically know how to give blood transfusions. Being a simulator this makes a lot of sense and given that the professions would just be a super minor edge on gameplay I am all for this. Great idea Maks, people who don't agree obviously don't want this simulator to be as close to real life as possible.

Just wait until tents and vehicle storage disappear. Then you'll have your medic, "the guy with the medical supplies in his backpack," your engineer, "the guy with car parts," your soldier, "the guy with all of the ammo and an extra gun," your sniper, "the sniper with the sniper snipe sniping it up," etc. Because you can't just run back to your tent and change loadouts.

Also, survivor class would be the guy with a little bit of everything up in his bag. And bandit class would have a penis on his face.

I know i haven't played Dayz for very long but what the o.p. has stated is true... First off id like to say i love the sandbox make your own adventure play style this game has. I wouldn't want it to be any other way But also think of this, what they have here is a death match (cod) style game direction at the moment... I for one demand more out of my games then that... if i wanted to play death match or a no brain style free for all shooting game id play one of the million other fps/tps out there... and i have. I was looking for something totally differnt then all of those bland shooters when i bought arma 2 just to play dayz, sadly the only thing thats actually differnt is that you got to spend hours walking all over hells creation but more or less have a slower pace same type of shooter. Don't get me wrong i like pvp and shooters but its hard to be or live out my style of game play via my toon when there isn't (some kind) of mechanic like he has suggested or something like it. I imagined this game to be very like a true zombie simulation kinda something like the (walking dead) in a way. It's just logical that differnt ppl like in real life would have certain "skills" they would of picked up before the zombies started munching on everyone.... they would have a background be they a cop or a doctor or some of the other suggestions/examples he came up with or any other jobs ect. the dev's can think of to implement fairly in the game. It makes no since to me that everyone has automatic knowledge of how to fix a car not realistic at all ... as a side note a toolbox should be needed to fix a car... wtf is that all about not only does your toon know how to fix it he does it with magic?? Everyone also knows combat medicine... oh wait only on other ppl... A million junkies around the world who hasn't taken a day of med school but yet they can find there vein and inject them self every day, why cant you add a blood bag to yourself? I think a good example of a "skill"/"perk" would be that the doctor is the only one that can remove a bullet period... oh sure you can bandage it but till the bullet is removed you will still lose a small amount of blood from the agitated wound over time. I for one think this is a much needed game mechanic to flesh out this great mod/upcoming game... I also believe that it also shouldn't directly effect pvp ie... give someone a vast advantage in a combat situation and agree that it would ruin the pvp side of the game but should be geared in the direction of encouraging coop play which is sorely lacking in this game and is why everyone says its currently just a death match with no depth... Everyone already knows about safety and strength in numbers and too see a thriving community were you would go to get services "hire" others skills (group up) do trades for supplies, fortify the camp build walls and barricades and other structures to keep back the hoards of zombies and keep everyone safe. Something like this would open up all kinds of interactions with players and give meaning to a meaningless existence, I've only played this around a week and i already have felt the "end game" Got all the gear/weapons to survive and hit the question what do i do? Just surviving alone isn't enough, I have been a lone wolf so far not really caring to join a clan yet want to interact with others in a meaningful manner every once and a while. You should be able to choose sides also, being penalized for defending yourself when you view yourself a "survivor"/hero and not a bandit isn't right.

• Like 5

I agree with jasondragon77, you gear up your character and then it's like .... okay now what. All that you have left to do is go to high population areas and merk people. And then you get everyone saying "I hate what this game has turned into, everyone shoots everyone at 1st glance". The game definitely needs another aspect added to it so that after you get geared up there are more activities to do. Maybe build up fortified areas, claim towns, siege encampments. Because the map is just soooo huge, on servers that aren't filled with 100 players you never really see enough people for constant pvp action. You are left walking for hours at a time to get to a destination, then you are there for 5-10 minutes and then you walk for another hour and repeat. I love the game, but I think it just needs a little something more to hold the interest of the players.

I don't think the game needs set classes or perks. Rather things to help promote self selection while playing.

A few good suggestions i've read:

• Ability to wear a second pouch/backpack instead of a primary (role as a loot hoarder / medic)
  • Defrib kit or some form of medic kit instead of a secondary/primary (role as a medic)
  • Some form of ammo container to use some of your toolbelt slots (possibly even a row). This gives reason for players in your group to by highly geared "overwatches" or "soldiers" at the expense of not being able to carry every utility to survive. (especially if toolbelt is reduced like suggested to mean you cannot carry every item).
  • And of course weight in the backpack system and gear. To allow messengers or runners to be light geared, low food/water needing, sprinters.

Those are just a few ideas of read around, i kind of expanded and made up the ammo container one on the spot. these kinda things allow players to make choices within a group, and take a role. It is not a complete benefit, every gain has its loss alongside it. And of course you don't have to even do any of these, and just continue on as a stock survivor (Lone Wolf even).

• Like 3

I don't think the game needs set classes or perks. Rather things to help promote self selection while playing.

A few good suggestions i've read:

• Ability to wear a second pouch/backpack instead of a primary (role as a loot hoarder / medic)
  • Defrib kit or some form of medic kit instead of a secondary/primary (role as a medic)
  • Some form of ammo container to use some of your toolbelt slots (possibly even a row). This gives reason for players in your group to by highly geared "overwatches" or "soldiers" at the expense of not being able to carry every utility to survive. (especially if toolbelt is reduced like suggested to mean you cannot carry every item).
  • And of course weight in the backpack system and gear. To allow messengers or runners to be light geared, low food/water needing, sprinters.

Those are just a few ideas of read around, i kind of expanded and made up the ammo container one on the spot. these kinda things allow players to make choices within a group, and take a role. It is not a complete benefit, every gain has its loss alongside it. And of course you don't have to even do any of these, and just continue on as a stock survivor (Lone Wolf even).

This post is brilliant, that is the idea that was made initially. Basically some sort of system to ecourage people to take up different roles which in turn will enforce co-op play for a survival game such as DayZ.

That is reason why the 'perk' system came to mind (or whatever your heart desires to call it). Since DayZ is no longer a run and gun shooter simulator and is now more about survival, scavange and team play the fact that people would have jobs before the "zombie appocalipse" it would not be a bad idea to impliment such a system into the game (tiny alterations to the way each person can play their character).

Thank you for the great post and quite a few fantastic ideas.

Edited by Maks

Jason makes the thought of having a skill/perk ("career" if you will) sound pretty good. I kind of like the idea now of starting the game up and choosing your background. Being a doctor, a cop, a mechanic...each with different perks that wouldn't really effect PVP, because when it comes down to one player vs another, it will be who can aim and shoot the fastest. These "careers" would only affect things that the character can do in game that has nothing to do with other enemy players.

Edited by twinturbonet

Wow I can't believe all the backlash you got for suggesting people be able to wear something other than a baseball cap. :o

The perks like "Field Medic" and "Mechanic" are great "out of combat" skills. And the focus should be skills outside of combat, or keeping a person from avoiding combat, utility perks. Nothing should give another person an edge in the beginning, middle, or end of a PVP encounter. (Argue the med being OP because he can bandage faster or set bones, I don't think it'd make much of a difference with the guns being as powerful as they are)

• Like 1

Thank you for all the amazing feedback from everyone and of course a big thank you for some fantastic brainstorming in regards to the topic.

Some comments were to make sure the PVP aspect of the game would not be touched by such 'careers' and I cannot agree more, PVP is a big part of the game and it would clearly be unbalanced if any of the careers would allow another player to shoot faster or better compared to another player.

The idea was thrown around saying that some of these careers could possibly be turned into items such as a 'doctor's kit' or a 'mechanic's bag' some very very rough examples, or even an ammo belt that would otherwise take up a row of the 'toolbelt' the game currently has. This way the 'careers' could be determined DURING the players gameplay and not BEFORE. Again the items would be quite rare and the player would have to sacrifice something in order to change another thing, thats a big thank you going to xDIx Revenge for the idea. After some brainstorming here with my buds the thought of a switchable career role during the game via finding and equipping rare items and not a permenant choice in the begining would be a good initiative to find such items (prolonging the game's longevity) and nobody would be stuck with the choice they make at the start. Still all these things would ecourage the co-op play and not affect the PVP aspect of the game.

As for the outfits the tiny idea was just to add more, I do not want hats I was strictly talking about outfits aka skins such as the gillie suit and the camo suit that are currently both in the default DayZ mod. They already implimented the buggy system of the 'bandit outfit' which automatically switches when the humanity falls low. The idea was that the game needs more 'serious and realistic' outfits, none of this bunny rabbit hats or pink boots! As one of the suggestions a snow suit that would blend in better in the snowy environment and many other cosmetic outfits that would just spice up the regular 'survivor outfit'. Again such addition of multiple suits to find and to wear would prolong the gameplay and encourage people to find more loot.

PS. I read on another post a carry weight system, I think that is a good idea but not in a sense that you need to drop items to carry an engine block but that your character's movement speed would slow down the more 'heavy' items you are carrying. This would add a sense of realism without pissing too many people off forcing them to drop their M107 to carry a Wheel and create a challenge in the game since a 'Lone Wolf' character carrying an Engine Block, Metal, and an M107 + M4A1 CCO and other junk would move quite slow and would be much faster in a group.

Thank you for the comments everyone!

• Like 1

Great idea!

I think, that there could be another kind of perks. For example as traveler you could start with a map and maybe even with GPS, as medic with bandages and blood pack etc.You would get 1-3 items that would help you start playing your class. Another and maybe better possibility is that you would find your class-specific loot more often.

I am quite sure that character specialization would help people to cooperate more and motivate them more to form groups.