bellicosity

More Infected People Types

First off, I'd like to remind everyone that in this mod they are not 'Zombies' they are infected people... so I highly doubt that there will be much in the realm of fantasy infected like, for instance, L4D special zombies.

That cleared up, I think a few different infected would be interesting. Maybe a marine who became infected, deranged and just happened to be holding onto a grenade when he turned. This grenade just happens to have lost its pin over time and he never lets go of it... until you kill him. If you kill him, he drops a live grenade. You might get lucky and its only a smoke grenade or you might get unlucky and its a frag.

Or considering we can get sick, why cant the other people? Its not uncommon for people to be sick with multiple diseases, so why cant those infected walking around town be sick? You hear a 'cough cough' from one of the infected and you risk getting sick like you would from another player.

Another idea might be a super sensitive infected person. Maybe he's on the cusp of turning, or just turned so his deafness/blindness isnt as pronounced as the other infected. You have to be extremely careful around him, as his senses are higher than the normal infected. In addition, if he's alerted to you he calls out for his friends pulling in a hoard in the same manner as if you just shot off a rifle round.

That cleared up' date=' I think a few different infected would be interesting. Maybe a marine who became infected, deranged and just happened to be holding onto a grenade when he turned. This grenade just happens to have lost its pin over time and he never lets go of it... until you kill him. If you kill him, he drops a live grenade.

[/quote']

Reminds me of the grenade bandoleer zombie in the remake of Resident Evil on the Gamecube, terrifying stuff

At least these suggestions are plausible. Come up with some very specific suggestions and how they could be implemented so more constructive feedback can be provided, pure ideas don't really help because lots of people have discussed adding other zombie types.

Well I think they are all pretty simply implemented. On death of the marine infected spawn a live grenade. Randomly select smoke or frag. I would use a specific marine/navy/sas/whatever skin so its INCREDIBLY obvious who is going to drop a grenade if you know what to look for.

The cold bearing infected would spread it the same way a player with a cold would. So just reuse that function. I would just have him cough like players do every so often.

The sensitive infected would simply have his hearing/sight range increased by a certain factor over normal infected. Also upon being alerted he runs the same code that fires when a gun is fired in town. I wouldn't make him look any different than the other infected, but perhaps make him walk like a normal person? He's not quite changed yet, so the slow sluggish walk hasn't affected him yet.

You mean the super sensative zombie will have better senses than the zombies that can see through walls and hit you through them? :P

You mean the super sensative zombieINFECTED PEOPLE will have better senses than the zombies that can see through walls and hit you through them? :P

Lol, I was specifically thinking about the infected people who cant see you crawling right in front of them or walking crouch across the street from them

Does anyone else have any ideas for more infected? Or criticism/suggestions to the ones I proposed?

[Nonconstructive interjection]- There aren't zombies in Left 4 Dead, they are designated infected.

Constructive comment: As the game is meant to be deep, visceral and more down to earth survival horror, I do not see the addition of new zombie types over the 'hopper' zeds, 'prone' zeds and regular zeds. The only change I anticipate are minor ones to current AI and behavior; ability to climb ladders and resume chase, giving up the chase, slowing down etc.

I would like to see more zeds situational to their environment more so than military zeds at military bases, such as engineer zeds near fueling depots, hunters and watchmen near deer stands, doctors and nurses near hospitals, residents in residential districts, factory workers, the list goes on; each unique zed would then have a loot table (sorry for the MMO lingo but it fits) suited to their profession whilst 'gaming' the system slightly, higher ranking officials, military or otherwise could have higher propensity to drop better loot whilst still very rare; moreover unique zeds with cool threads from very rare spawning zeds such as army, medical, church etc should be able to have their skins looted from them (or similar versions to those clothes)

Zed Behaviour- Zeds could be further divided by AI patterns, so you would have for example:

Walkers- Classic Shambling Zombies, more common in coastal cities, max movement speed slightly slower than a crouched run and an overall decreased aggro range+timer

Runners- Typical DayZ Chernarus Olympic team tryouts we're all so accustomed to

Lively- Younger, healthier individuals, faster, more resilient, loud, attracts others with loud, distinct sounds, unable to tell them apart from normal runners or walkers unless agitated.

Hoppers- Slow annoying chimpesque infected (end stage of disease or something? :s) larger aggro range, slow slow slow. (already exists)

Prone- Legs broke, hides in tall grass (already exists)

Radiated zombie: A zombie that had been Radiated to the point where It's hazardous to be near It heck even killing It Is bad because It can Explode and leave a noxious gas at a set radius

Radiated zombie: A zombie that had been Radiated to the point where It's hazardous to be near It heck even killing It Is bad because It can Explode and leave a noxious gas at a set radius

That's verging on the side of being too gameish and reminds me of the lambent of Gears of War. The infected are just that, they're not dead, high radiation levels are bound to kill them as much as the survivors. Besides, why would they be radioactive?

An infected dropping a live grenade would make holing up in a house be rather dangerous... I would like it. Also dropping one who aggro'd on you silently won't help much since he goes boom anyways. Thus everything for a 2 km area is pretty much alerted.

I got a basic one:

An infected that plays dead. A lot of times I'm sure we seen dead infected lying around from others people gunfire. Now have fun determining if that one over there is truly dead or not. Sure most of the time you could just go around that body but what if you are getting pinned by walkers? It would be worth a shot to go by that dead looking infected... or not.

On what it does when activated. Perhaps it could stay crawling or stand up to give chase.

That's verging on the side of being too gameish and reminds me of the lambent of Gears of War. The infected are just that' date=' they're not dead, high radiation levels are bound to kill them as much as the survivors. Besides, why would they be radioactive?

[/quote']

Sounds like If they can die by radiation then maybe they can have diseases as well? soooo...

Disease zombie: A zombie that has disease's In It's body Being near It for a long period of time could be bad for you or even killing it could have the blood be contagious?

"What do you think" :idea:

Also we have not heard about the back story off how the zombie's came about don't throw the Idea off a radiated zombie/"Nuclear power plant" till we have answers anyway the radiated zombie doesn't NEED to explode just being damaged near it would suffice ~.~

An infected dropping a live grenade would make holing up in a house be rather dangerous... I would like it. Also dropping one who aggro'd on you silently won't help much since he goes boom anyways. Thus everything for a 2 km area is pretty much alerted.

I got a basic one:

An infected that plays dead. A lot of times I'm sure we seen dead infected lying around from others people gunfire. Now have fun determining if that one over there is truly dead or not. Sure most of the time you could just go around that body but what if you are getting pinned by walkers? It would be worth a shot to go by that dead looking infected... or not.

On what it does when activated. Perhaps it could stay crawling or stand up to give chase.

And then we can paint them green and call them Creepers!

Seriously though I think that having zombies which were to follow the same behavioral pattern over and over again would be against the nature of the game.

I got a basic one:

And then we can paint them green and call them Creepers!

Seriously though I think that having zombies which were to follow the same behavioral pattern over and over again would be against the nature of the game.

They aren't zombies' date=' they are infected people.[/b']

As far as behavioral differences, I agree 100%. Especially if rocket can get roving bands of infected or infected that hunt people.

These were just a few ideas to add some variety and danger to the current three types we have. Lets be honest, none of them are dangerous once you've lived for over an hour or so in game.

They are only dangerous in the presence of other hostile players.

1. Be chased by zombie horde

2. Throw smoke grenade to distract them

3. Shoot grenade zombie

4. ????

5. Profit.

I like it.

More Z skins would be cool.

The Cities you get more suits and skirts which are you office workers. Some kid Zombies would be cool. Dogs as well.

Police, firemen and riot gear (armour) guys around the outskirts of towns. They were trying to "keep the peace" when shit hit the fan.

Nurses and doctors from hospitals, either wearing their blue / pink overalls for surgery or their white coats.

I've seen a Priest, what about Zombie Nuns chasing along behind him...The religious nuts thought God and faith would protect them...

Near factories and warehouses you get your construction workers and dungarees / overalls.

Military installations you have your military garbed guys with or without helmets / armour depending on they're roles.

Out in the small towns I'd imagine you'd have you checker shirt lumberjack type guys.

I still like the Walkers, Hoppers and Crawlers. Adding in some Shufflers who can't chase you down would balance it more. At the moment every Walker can sprint and that's all of them.

As to the Zombies climbing ladders, I say bullshit, come on...really...they've dead yet they have the intelligence and hand eye coordination to climb up a ladder?

The Cities you get more suits and skirts which are you office workers. Some kid Zombies would be cool. Dogs as well.

Police' date=' firemen and riot gear (armour) guys around the outskirts of towns. They were trying to "keep the peace" when shit hit the fan.

Nurses and doctors from hospitals, either wearing their blue / pink overalls for surgery or their white coats.

I've seen a Priest, what about Zombie Nuns chasing along behind him...The religious nuts thought God and faith would protect them...

Near factories and warehouses you get your construction workers and dungarees / overalls.

Military installations you have your military garbed guys with or without helmets / armour depending on they're roles.

Out in the small towns I'd imagine you'd have you checker shirt lumberjack type guys.

I still like the Walkers, Hoppers and Crawlers. Adding in some Shufflers who can't chase you down would balance it more. At the moment every Walker can sprint and that's all of them.

As to the Zombies climbing ladders, I say bullshit, come on...really...they've dead yet they have the intelligence and hand eye coordination to climb up a ladder?

[/quote']

Agree with the different skins.

As far as being dead... they are not dead. Rocket has repeatedly stated they are infected people. Alive and dandy too. Its why you dont need a headshot to take em down.

The infected people dont need to be balanced down, they need to be balanced up. Lethality in this game isnt from them infected, its from other players. I really hope this seesaw starts going in the other direction making the infected just as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than other players as a whole.

1. Be chased by zombie horde

2. Throw smoke grenade to distract them

3. Shoot grenade zombie

4. ????

5. Profit.

I like it.

Hey man, if it changes things up Im for it.

Could also change it to

1. See a survivor creeping through town

2. Shoot nade infected near him

3. If it hurts/kills him awesome, if it doesnt it still attracts a horde to kill him

4. ????

5. Profit

I really like this idea, through I don't think every Marine should have a grenade. It should be like 10% of them or something, But if it was implemented it sure as hell would make that tactic where people just rush a building and bottle neck them at the door way.

Also I think the sensitive one, should look like a monkey zombie that screams(so you can hear it farther away), twitches , should or shouldn't attack other zombies

Kinda like the humane part is fighting the infection

Agree I feel like i'm killing Jamie Hyneman from Myth Busters over and over

I really like this idea' date=' through I don't think every Marine should have a grenade. It should be like 10% of them or something, But if it was implemented it sure as hell would make that tactic where people just rush a building and bottle neck them at the door way.

Also I think the sensitive one, should look like a monkey zombie that screams(so you can hear it farther away), twitches , should or shouldn't attack other zombies

Kinda like the humane part is fighting the infection

[/quote']

Im alright with him not always have a grenade. Adds to the tension. Is there gonna be an explosion? Yes... no? Oh god... has 5 seconds pass yet?

Also, it would make certain buildings death traps to get caught in if there was one of them running around. Grenade explosions are pretty large in this game.

You mean the hoppers? I agree that he should be visibly fighting the infection but not quite there. Makes sense since he hasnt completely changed over to the caked over 'im a stoned' look most of them have. Would make things interesting if he happened to be anywhere near you, and completely change the dynamics of sneaking into town.

I found a bunch of Rocket's posts outlining his vision for the infected here. I feel like it will really help develop ideas that he will sign off on.

Also, damn you for editing this after I saw it because its comedy gold...

Agree I feel like i'm killing Jamie Hyneman from Myth Busters over and over