xximrtwoixx

Gear on player models

I think skin systems that are based on counters are fundamentally flawed because they attempt to track a dynamic environment and actions with an arbitrary system. I also think classes or skins for classes would never accuratley portray what a player's play style actually is, they can wear it but act in a completely different way.

To avoid these issues and create a more immersive and authentic experiance I think that all gear should be displayed on the character model independent of it being active or not. This also touches on how inventory management should be handled to provide an immersive experiance and help add value to other players because you shouldn't be able to carry everything w/no sacrifices. I believe adding draw backs like weight/encumbrance and also animations with buffs/penalties for run length should be used to penalize people for carrying alot of items, but yet still allow them to do so if they want to. Players decide, but there is a price for everything.

Examples of Gear on Players:

Current system, you have nvgs active they show on your face, if they are not active they are not displayed on your character model.

New system: Your nvg while inactive and equiped are displayed on top of your head but not down/deployed over your eyes, when you activate them they are displayed over your eyes as they are currently.

Current system: You have a tool box on your belt (explain this) it is not displayed in game.

New System: Tool box is an inventory item that acts as a seperate container for holding tools, when you have one in your inventory it can be tied to you pack rails if you have a modular pack, placed inside a non modular pack, or carried in your hands as an item (no attack).

The "show what you are effect" can be increased with different packs that fit more of specific gear types, like a tool box for tools, a tac vest for ammo/grendades/small items, medical bags, and modular/rail packs.

The "main" inventory and belt slots are completley removed in favor of representing what you would actually be able to carry on your person. To increase what you can carry you find/scavenge items that allow you to carry more.

Items would also recieve realistic size/weight ratings that allow them to fit into these different slots, and they would also be able to be carried in your hands. This could be S, M, L or even be through different categories of the actual slots, or a combination of both. I favor a combination becaues it would yield the most authentic results, ie an AS50 that is not broken down would be an XL and must be carried, just as engine parts or a main rotor assembly would be an XL.

Example:

Current system a rifle takes 10 slots of inventory space all inventory spaces/slots are the same if you have 10 slots you can carry it.

New System: A rifle with a sling can be slung over your shoulder (to a set max but more than one) with no sling a rifle takes up say 10 Medium slots. You have a back pack with 10 large interior and 6 exterior small slots so it can go inside, and takes up say 5 large slots.

Current system: Matches take up a tool belt slot or 1 back pack slot

New system: Matches take up one small slot, (Pocket size) and if you put them inside your pack 1 large slot is broken down into four small slots.

To add value to specific types of packs and to push players into not keeping tons of small items in their pack part of the mechanic would be to add authentic drawbacks to storing items in a large pack. Like the addition of an animation where the character removes the pack and hunts through it, and the number of items increases retrieveal animation length.

Additional small packs that fit more of X item and offer buffs like reducing time to deploy items from that category would ensure that people would want to use the appropriate pack for what goes inside of it.

Examples:

Web vest w/ammo pouches, holds 12 magazines and can have additional items attached equaling 2 medium slots (knife/grenades/sidearm holster) reduces reload time by 10%.

First aid pouch 4 medium or 8 small holds 10 small slots of medical equipment that can be deployed instantly.

This could also be used for packs, have medical/tool/ammo packs or have a rail system that can have different packs attached to it. This way people use the packs they want and best help them accomplish their goals. Everyone else gets to see these packs and their items so you know what someone's play style is by viewing their equipment, the most honest and authentic way of displaying playstyles.

This would reduce kos because you could more easily identify people you want/need to shoot, and those people that are likley violent. Ie survivors/medics wont look like paramilitary "bandits" stocked with ammo/weapons.

This type of mechanic would not nerf a playstyle or be exploitable as it simply shows what/who you are.

Edited by xXI Mr Two IXx
  • Like 3

As far as I know NVGs are visible on your head when you're wearing them. Your primary is visible on your back when you have your secondary out. So pretty much the only thing you're hiding is your tools and secondary.

You should probably do a search to make sure someone hasn't posted this before.

Oh...wait, you posted this a few days ago.

You should probably do a search to make sure you haven't posted this before.

• Like 2

Don't repost a post you made, just edit and bump your original post, perhaps improving on it.

I don't quite understand your idea. Are you asking for pistols and NVG's to be shown on the player model? Because NVG's, while active, are shown on the player model. Or are you using those as a suggestion, and saying that you'd like all gear to represent? I would like to be able to see the ammo packs strapped to players waists and legs. A medkit style thing for bandages, blood bags, morphine etc.

However i don't think it would eliminate KoS or even lessen it. If i really want to study an unknown survivor for what he has, it will be whether or not to kill him for it. And bandages / blood bags / morphine are common items held. Same with food and drink. If im seeing a guy with NVG's on, i probably have them as well.

Not a bad idea overall, i don't see it adding much overall to the game, but would be a nice thing alongside skins and such.

Don't repost a post you made, just edit and bump your original post, perhaps improving on it.

I don't quite understand your idea. Are you asking for pistols and NVG's to be shown on the player model? Because NVG's, while active, are shown on the player model. Or are you using those as a suggestion, and saying that you'd like all gear to represent? I would like to be able to see the ammo packs strapped to players waists and legs. A medkit style thing for bandages, blood bags, morphine etc.

However i don't think it would eliminate KoS or even lessen it. If i really want to study an unknown survivor for what he has, it will be whether or not to kill him for it. And bandages / blood bags / morphine are common items held. Same with food and drink. If im seeing a guy with NVG's on, i probably have them as well.

Not a bad idea overall, i don't see it adding much overall to the game, but would be a nice thing alongside skins and such.

I think having NVGs show even when not active would be cool, as well as making non-equipped and "backpacked" weapons show up in the player model.(unless you field strip it, which means its not "at the ready" while in your back pack.) I think tools and other things should have some visual cues like c-wire and a toolbox shows wire clippers on the waist while just a toolbox shows a hammer.

• Like 1

I mean nearly all gear should be displayed on the character model, even when inactive.

Like inactive nvgs would be displayed pushed up on your head if worn but inactive.

your secondary in a holster when inactive/not readied.

Much like how your primary works when your secondary is eqipped.

You should probably do a search to make sure someone hasn't posted this before.

Oh...wait, you posted this a few days ago.

You should probably do a search to make sure you haven't posted this before.

I may have responded to some other suggestion that skins or classes be introduced with a similar response but I didn't create a thread on this.

I think this is a good idea and would accomplish everything desired with bandit skins, and give players the opportunity to represent themselves the way they want. Want to pvp then equip yourself for it, want to fight Z's or be a medic than equip for it and everyone will know just by looking at you.

No nerfs to anything or anyone, and your rewarded for being smart. "That guy has a 50 and an m4, ton's of ammo and no parts/survival gear" - He's probably a medic.. durr

Sounds like a great idea.

People always push realism, so something like this would be fantastic.

I don't think everything should be represented, just the most important stuff, and stuff that can be easily represented. You can have a bunch of epipens and morphines on your vest, and maybe satchels strapped to the bottom of your pack, and your second gun poking out of your backpack.

IMO assembled weapons can only really fit into the largest packs and would be better located on pack rails or be slung over your shoulder. This is semantics at this point I guess though. I agree that you get to a point of diminishing returns in terms of the animations/skins that need to be created but I think this should be addressed through the special packs that are addressed in OP.