zecele

Should 1 Hit Kill Sniper rifles be removed from DayZ.

Should 1 Hit Kill Sniper rifles be removed from DayZ.  

639 members have voted

1. 1. Should One hit Kill snipers be removed from DayZ

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

your right but so are a lot of things that are not in dayz, so lets add them as well like weaponized vehicles and incendiary grenades... why not add CS grenades and rubber rounds as well as tasers since they are used against people and would fit into simulation.

See just because something is used against soft targets doesn't mean it fits well, when compared to other gear in game.

These are all great ideas, ACE actually adds CS grenades and White Phosphorus grenades.

These are all great ideas, ACE actually adds CS grenades and White Phosphorus grenades.

I agree however my point was why have 50.cal snipers but not have say light armor or even weaponized vehicles(like the off-roader).

No, and your stupid if you think otherwise code fag care bear mother fucker

Ok than call me that, fine by me, but really m107s and AS50s should be as rare if not rarer than the drivable Heli. Now I think High end gear as well as vehicles should have Unique Ids tied to them to help prevent clients spawning them in game without the server telling the client to spawn it. (as well as duplicates of the ID get auto deleted)

Edited by Orthus

I agree however my point was why have 50.cal snipers but not have say light armor or even weaponized vehicles(like the off-roader).

Who would leave a tank just laying around during the beginning of the apocalypse? I'd say, with the amount of crashed helicopters, transport trucks, and humvees, and the lack of any just sitting in base, military forces in the area rushed an evacuation.

It'd be nice to see some broken, abandoned, Strykers or something like that on the roadways though, just to push the point across even better.

I agree but i think .50cals should just be far more rare. More rare than mountain dews or nvg's. When my and I roll up to a heli half the time there is a 50cal sitting there. I think the m24 and the svd should be more common and the 50cals more rare. That would probably stop them being used on the coast because people whould be scared of losing them. Right now our camp has 10 .50cals, so we use them rather than the m24 or the dmr because why use them?

I agree but i think .50cals should just be far more rare. More rare than mountain dews or nvg's. When my and I roll up to a heli half the time there is a 50cal sitting there. I think the m24 and the svd should be more common and the 50cals more rare. That would probably stop them being used on the coast because people whould be scared of losing them. Right now our camp has 10 .50cals, so we use them rather than the m24 or the dmr because why use them?

that is excatlly my point, a lot of people just ignore the lower end snipers because of how common the 50. cals are and how common their ammo is. I also believe the as50 ammo should be have the same ballastics as the m107 ammo since they are the same round, and the increased speed,lower drop and higher damage of the as50 round makes no sense.

edit: I forgot to bookmark it zdb, I'm sorry.

Edited by Orthus

Hell no, a sniper is designed for long range 1 hit kill, all the people saying it should be 2 shot are obviously rushers/guys who just run over open fields

Imo if they remove the .50 cals from the game, they would also have to remove the heli's. because how can you protect yourself against them? well yeah you could spam alot of bullets from other weapons, and maybe get lucky with a shot at the pilot or whatever.. but the only reliable weapon to defend against chopper rapists, is with the .50 cal. 3-4 shots = dead heli. well okey there is a rocket launcher in the game, but isnt that even more overpowered then the .50 cals?.. and also harder too hit a moving chopper with imo..

if you just remove the .50 cals snipers cause some players obviously cant figure out how not to get blown away, it would just open a can of new problems, and make the game unbalanced in many other aspects...

and thruthfully guys, its not like its hard to dodge a sniper, just keep moving, and not run in a straight line, you should be okey.. instead of changing a game, because some ppl have a hard time.. why cant the few ppl not just learn to avoid getting shot by snipers?, everyone else learns from their mistakes.. but not them, they just QQ about snipers, lol :D

The problem isnt the .50 cals.

The problem isnt the L85A2 AWS.

The problem isnt any type of other gear you can imagine right here.

The problem is the duping.

Sure it sucks getting one hit by a sniper but thats the name of the game. When weapons start becoming scarcer again they will be less used.

As long as combat logging is an option Fifties are required. I used to like the enfield... Now its a pile of garbage that no longer 1 hit kills.

Combat logging is another one. The 50 is the right response.

But none of these are real reasons for the existence of the 50. In DayZ its the only "true" sniper rifle Since most are basically Designated Marksman Rifles. Not that theres anything wrong with that. Its just losing the 50s means losing the sniper rifles. No more 1.8k killshots. No more anti-vehicle rifles. No good reason to stay 1.5k from your target.(assuming you have good weather conditions :P).

Whats the point of linking to your thread Zed when your defence of 50 cal snipers is totally flawed ?

No one is saying sniping doesn't have a role to play. Well maybe some people are but not the ones with brains.

Most of my DayZ combat take place within 300m. In this kind of range, sniper rifles are clunky and generally outclassed by the CCO's or even the Kobra in my opinion. I found an M107 just an hour ago at a crashed heli; put it on a zombie and hid the corpse. I will stick to my L85 (if I'm lucky) or my CCO unless I am on overwatch duty.

The only way to fix the excessive use of the AS50 and M107 is wait for the standalone version when duping gets fixed

I'm split on this topic.

The way the .50 cals behave right now, I'd say remove them as they don't really add much if you forget about alt-f4 for a moment. The AS50 is the easiest sniper rifle by far to use; it's silly how simple it is making long range kills with an AS50 and a rangefinder.

I believe that right now, the .50s are good against helis, which is a legitimate reason to have them in the game. However, they are very easily used against soft targets, and they present little to no challenge to the operator which in my opinion doesn't sit quite right.

There are some really good suggestions in this thread to make the .50 cals slightly more "balanced" (yes, I know this doesn't sit well with some of you.), like having fatigue, making them wildly inaccurate when fired crouch/standing without support. Perhaps you could make it so that you have to deploy them prone or on objects to be able to accurately engage targets at long ranges. Another thing I thought about was introducing a non match grade ammunition for them that is more common but would come with the drawback of less accurate fire. The match grade ammunition would obviously be very rare.

At this point in the mod, there really is no reason not to select a .50 cal discounting nighttime operation. Personally, I prefer the 7.62s because a kill with them is much more rewarding.

Off topic story: Got a really clean kill yesterday with the DMR. Was on a moving target, pretty close range though, I think about 200m. First shot shattered his kneecaps, and then you sink the killshot when he is down. Feels a lot more rewarding to me than getting a 1hk on some random guy 1 km away no matter where you hit.

• Like 2

I'm split on this topic.

There are some really good suggestions in this thread to make the .50 cals slightly more "balanced" (yes, I know this doesn't sit well with some of you.), like having fatigue, making them wildly inaccurate when fired crouch/standing without support. Perhaps you could make it so that you have to deploy them prone or on objects to be able to accurately engage targets at long ranges. Another thing I thought about was introducing a non match grade ammunition for them that is more common but would come with the drawback of less accurate fire. The match grade ammunition would obviously be very rare.

Those are needed factors to keep the game immersive and "authentic" a 15kg+ weapon should not be handled like a DMR as a byproduct it would balance them somewhat,

A .50 sniper should blow you in half regardless of where it hit's you. Also, just about any sniper minus the damage drop on the CZ can 1 hit you in the head. So uh.... you want all snipers gone? I think it fits, and I also feel the game would be missing something without a 50 cal. We maybe don't need two though....

Love the people saying that only un-skilled players who can't get headshots use them. Show me your videos of consistently sniping moving targets in the head from 200meters + away. I don't care that you played Arma2 before DayZ, you’re still not this good with sniper rifles. I’m not denying that you get headshots. But you certainly do not get headshots without missing, on moving targets from large distances. No sniper even bothers trying to do that in real life, they aim for the biggest target, torso, chest as this is a 99 percent chance of a kill anyway, and it will certainly stop the target even if it doesn’t kill them.

Sure, if the target is stood still it makes it easy to get headshots. How often does someone stand still in dayz? Not very. I play CS:S at a high skill level, in CS:S you have the AWP, this is a 1 hit kill to any part of the body except legs. People moan about that too saying it takes no skill. Do you know what happens when they try to use it against me? They get beaten every time. What is my point? Nothing is as easy as you seem to believe. If you get an AS50/M107 you will still get out-sniped by others using the same weapon because frankly, you suck at the game. Anyone who moans about a gun sucks at the game.

Infact, in most cases I could probably use the lesser sniper rifle in CS:S (the scout) which is 2 hit kill unless headshot and beat most people trying to use an AWP against me. The result of this, is that I don’t care about people using AWPs, because I am good enough to kill people using it with pretty much any gun in the game baring SMGs, shotguns and pistols. Whilst I appreciate DayZ is much different to CSS, logic dictates that people who moan about m107/as50 are the same as the people who moan about the AWP. You’re crap at the game. You can’t take losing. You want the snipers gone, but you don’t want to admit it’s because you are constantly outplayed, so you come out with bullshit saying “ONLY NOOBS USE THEM!” when the reality is, you can’t use it anyway and you pretend you get constant headshots using a Lee Enfield. I found a CZ550 the other day, you can bet your house I’m going to use it to counter the AS50/M107 users. And yes. When I get the kill I shall be taking their guns and using them to kill crap players like you lot who constantly bitch and moan that you’re not good enough to counter a sniper.

(for the record, I have been sniped a couple of times in DayZ. Both times I accepted it was my own stupid doing, like one time I was in Elekto fire station and I noticed I could get to the ladder outside the tower, through the wall. When I was on the ladder I was sniped. Oops.)

• Like 2

Yes, because they remove a lot of the skill and there is no reason to use much rarer rifles like the SVD.

No, because alt+f4ers.

Sure. 1 Hit snipers removed. But when the game detects a loss of connection or alt-f4 or any type of player quitting your body sits in the server for 60 seconds waiting a "time-out" period before it logs you off. In that time you're able to be damaged by players and zombies etc.

nope

Even though i've only been on the bad end of the high powered snipes I wouldn't want to see them removed. It's hard to make a real judgement when everything else is so incomplete and things like duping and ammo glitching alter how affective these weapons are I still think they deserve a place in the game.

What i'd like to see is less ammo for them to make it so that snipers don't just spam the things, each bullet should be precious to engourage smarter use.

Once another 100 types of weapon have been introduced to diversify the arsenal of the game and duping/glitching is fixed their use should calm down.

Edited by ironman Tetsuo

keepcarlm that's a load of unmitigated shit. Well done.

you say that, but I have been dealing with people moaning about sniper rifles for about 10 years, it quickly moves from unwarranted assumptions to the truth when you have dealt with it for so long. I can't prove it's the case, and it's not the case for everyone. Generally speaking however, players that consistently moan about something are on the receiving end and are incapable of defending themselves against it. Then moan about it like it's a problem with the game and not themselves.