Braxton

[Legion] Admins abusing power on Dallas servers.

Just hypothetically speaking:

If a clan server has... lets say 40 slots. And that clan has 40 or more members online and reserves its right to kick other players so that clanmates can join. Wouldn't that practically be the same as passwording it?

So while it makes perfect sense to free up a slot for a paying member. It should be done with great care and have some limitations because I think a hive-connection for a clanserver shouldn't be taken for granted.

I think there should be some decisive rules about this as DayZ is clearly not a game for private sessions (at least not als long as a server is connected to the hive) and some people seem to have difficulties understanding that concept.

... servers ain't gonna pay by themselves.

It's totally logic and normal for people who payed to have a priority access. It's the case everywhere in real-life, it's the case everywhere on internet, it's the case on DayZ.

You should already be thankful that people are paying servers for you ( and trust me, it's not cheap at all ), without asking anything in return so you can play and enjoy DayZ.

Still, i agree on the fact that this needs to be done with care, not all the time, and with limits ( for me, 5-6 reserved slots on a 50 servers is the right spot, not more ).

I would also like to point out that last night there was a thread in the server forum (i believe) titled "[Legion] Dallas 2 Server Donation Thread!! [super long nameeee]!"' date=' in which pretty much the same discussion was going on.

It misteriously disappeared. *cue dramatic music*

[/quote']

n3uro, I was also part of that discussion. The basics of it were that Legion donated their server to the Day Z Community. They then asked for donations to keep said server running, yet gave their members special perks, such as kicking a buttload of people to make space for their own guys.. You can't donate something to a large community, ask for donations, then boot them off at your own will for your own members. Its wrong, and yeah, I could be wrong, but in my view I see it as stealing. If people donate towards a server, they have MORE right to be on that server than anyone wearing any kind of tags.

Legion DO kick for people wearing their tags. They DO kick for generally disliking people. Hell, they even kicked one of my guys for calling them bandits.

Six pages of people complaining about a group... I think that's more than enough.

The admin abuse must stop. They must stop abusing admin powers and they MUST STOP ASKING FOR DONATIONS FROM THE DAY Z COMMUNITY IF THEY AREN'T GOING TO ALLOW THEM TO USE THE SERVER FAIRLY!!

Rocket, I urge you or your team to please do something about this.

I've seen various replies on this thread saying "its their server, they can do what they want."

While I do agree with that on some level, I think it is wrong to believe that when they are asking the Day Z community for donations to keep it running. That makes it less their server as other people are paying to sustain it. They may "own" the server that the Day Z mod is run on, but they have donated it for the use of the WHOLE Day Z Community, not just their little group of whatever you want to call them.

Once Rocket allowed them to host this mod, I think he did so with the belief that it was for the community, not to be run however they feel, and not just for their little group to play on.

As I say in my post above, once they started asking for donations from the Day Z Community, that changed things. That made it partly the donators server, yet Legion are kicking every Tom Dick and Harry for any pathetic reason they can think of.

To be fair, we haven't released any sort of "terms and conditions" for hosting - so I think any comments from me on what I think is acceptable or not would probably be the first time many people heard it.

The expansion happened so fast, caution was thrown to the wind and we simply setup servers with a gentleman's agreement (going both ways, they were giving us root access!).

Once we get our breath back from the expansion, such terms and conditions will be agreed upon with the hosters so everyone knows what to expect.

My current thoughts on it, we tried out having passworded clan servers. The experience is different and the support effort much higher for the DayZ team - for less benefit. We simply don't have the resources to provide that kind of niche experience when we have servers jam-packed full.

The DayZ team will not kick anyone from a server, even if we really need to get on for testing. I have only kicked someone once, so that a rather important person could play DayZ on a full public server. We encourage our current hosters to adopt the same principle, and I know that the EU, NY, and Tonic's US servers do not kick people even though the hosters THEMSELVES cannot get in to play.

However, like I said, there has currently been no agreed code of conduct or terms and conditions for hosters. That said, we've made it clear than a passworded server (beyond initial testing or bugfixing), is a no-go.

tl;dr

I take a pretty dim view of people being kicked from a server to make way from priority members but we have not developed a code of conduct/toc beyond the requirement not to password the server.

So... if I pay you money, do I get those kicking privileges as well?

But seriously now, just because you pay money does not mean it is alright for you to kick people randomly. Sure, you guys spent real money, so you expect something in return. But the thing is that you chose to donate that money to the community. This is not your own private server. Rocket sort of dictates the rules, since he made this whole thing. He said himself that all servers should provide a similar experience to people. But if people get kicked randomly and without warning on the Legion server, then that means people get a different experience on the Legion server, a very negative experience even. This thread confirms that, as it tells us how the Legion guys make people feel and what sort of experience people get.

Maybe you guys do not fully understand what impact you have on people when you kick them?

Anyway, you should play with the community on the same level, as that is what Rocket wants. You should treat everybody the same, because that is only fair. However, if Rocket decides that people can get their own private servers, then you can do what the hell you want. Then, you do not have to hold back any longer. But until that day comes, you should hold back.

And in my humble opinion, if you host an open, public server, it's wrong to discriminate people simply because they didn't pay you their money.

i read through these when i woke up, maybe two of them made sense to me, but i got a good laugh out of it. keep hating people, your just bringing views to this thread.

Haters gonna hate. if SO many people hate us, why is our server always full?

Cheers,

Chaos ;)

Yes, bringing views to a thread that is slating your group. You're proud of that?

No response to the fact that your asking for donations from this community for your own personal gain?

You really are stupid, aren't you. You really need to take another look at your ethics. Some of the people here have been good enough to pay for your server, and you treat them with this level of disrespect?

Chaos' pid='7589' dateline='1336043804']

Haters gonna hate. if SO many people hate us' date=' why is our server always full?

[/quote']

Because all the servers are full you idiot.

Sorry, you do seem like a douche.

Regardless I can see the logic in "help pay for a server, get some help joining when server is full" but to the extent some people are claiming it sounds like there should be some rules set up.

I for one have not actually experienced any of this.

Haters gonna hate. if SO many people hate us' date=' why is our server always full?

[/quote']

You can't figure that out?

i read through these when i woke up' date=' maybe two of them made sense to me, but i got a good laugh out of it. keep hating people, your just bringing views to this thread.

[/quote']

pah

edit for concurrent post.

if what is said below is mantained, i'm happy you saw the sense of this whole discussion.

You know what? i'm just going to take a more professional approach on this, we implemented some changed last night, and here are some of them.

- No more kicking for members, unless we need an admin to come in. [5 Minute warning will be given to the player.]

- No VoIP/Sound Files being played over it.

- No more retaliation to Flame posts/Hate, we're above that, it doesn't do anything positive for us.

- If you see somebody being an asshat with [Legion] Tags on, send me a PM, or contact me via Steam [xmarine09x], and i will look into it personally.

- In addition to my first point, kicking will be used to remove disruptive players, racism, and/or any form of cheating/abusing bugs/alt+f4 to escape combat deaths.

That is all for now.

Cheers,

Chaos

Well, after all the nonsense I am glad you have come to this sensible decision.

There shouldn't be anymore bother after this.

Chaos' pid='7635' dateline='1336049976']

You know what? i'm just going to take a more professional approach on this' date=' we implemented some changed last night, and here are some of them.

- No more kicking for members, unless we need an admin to come in. [5 Minute warning will be given to the player.']

- No VoIP/Sound Files being played over it.

- No more retaliation to Flame posts/Hate, we're above that, it doesn't do anything positive for us.

- If you see somebody being an asshat with [Legion] Tags on, send me a PM, or contact me via Steam [xmarine09x], and i will look into it personally.

- In addition to my first point, kicking will be used to remove disruptive players, racism, and/or any form of cheating/abusing bugs/alt+f4 to escape combat deaths.

That is all for now.

Cheers,

Chaos

Sounds reasonable and fair. Good choice! ;)

I know it's late, but, for the record, my dealings with Legion have been nothing but enjoyable. They do stick together and tend to do their own thing in-game, but that's expected of a group of friends! As admins they've been fine, and the ruleset that Chaos posted is a great one.