Sign in to follow this  
Skorbian

What would run faster: The mod, or the standalone?

My friend and I wanna play DayZ but his computer can't run Arma2 to save his life @ lowest settings, but he does play games like Borderlands @ medium settings (Only game I know what settings he plays at), so I was wondering if the standalone could end up having him run it at all (Atleast 20fps to him is playable).

Im guessing the standalone might be using the new ARMA3 engine and if so then your woes are only going to get worse as this engine looks pretty sweet.

Im guessing the standalone might be using the new ARMA3 engine and if so then your woes are only going to get worse as this engine looks pretty sweet.

Hmm you don't seem to know much about Arma 2 huh? The devs are attempting to make it so that Arma 3 will actually run faster then Arma 2.

Arma 2 seems to be pretty poorly optimized. The Arma 3 engine is next gen, but chances are the devs have learned from the past, and will optimize their assets more efficiently.

Hmm you don't seem to know much about Arma 2 huh? The devs are attempting to make it so that Arma 3 will actually run faster then Arma 2.

Is that thanks to the hardware capabilities of today, in comparison to Arma 2 days though? ie: increased memory channels, processor lanes and so on.

I'd say if your friend is having issues running Arma 2 on lowest settings perhaps it's time for an upgrade. I expect the stand alone to increase graphically so if anything it would be worthwhile upgrading just to be able to play the current/future games comfortably for the next year or 2.

I'd say if your friend is having issues running Arma 2 on lowest settings perhaps it's time for an upgrade. I expect the stand alone to increase graphically so if anything it would be worthwhile upgrading just to be able to play the current/future games comfortably for the next year or 2.

He just got his laptop last Christmas for 400$ and he was and is very disappointed. I may end up help him look for a better one that could run a lot more games, maybe with a RadeonHD6500 or better, he's the type of person that can only get money from presents and such. So maybe this christmas when requirements for the standalone will probably be out he can get a sufficient laptop, MAYBE desktop

The standalone will still run on the same engine(s) that your friend is having issues with

If he can't run ArmA 2, he probably won't run ArmA 3

The DayZ standalone will still rely on the ArmA engine, just in a standalone package

Edited by Hawk24

People please stop with this "Buy a laptop to play games"!!! :huh:

You need a real computer, not some hack job to make it smaller. I been into to PCs for 15 years, I been fixing them for 10 years and I can tell you now.

The worst computers to fix are fucking laptops, 80% of the repairs I do are fucking laptops, they fuckup, overheat, get full of fluff and shit, hard drive failure is rampant...etc!! <_<

Laptops are the worst computers you can buy for gaming. Period!!! Hard to fix, easy to break and the power connector always fucks up!! In fact I refuse to repair a faulty power connector because they are so hard to fix!!! >:(