Shotgunned

Game got boring real quick without Side Chat

Servers can have side chat enabled. It destroys the point of feeling alone until you run into people though so im happy with it disabled. In my experience of DayZ since the mod began, iv come to the conclusion that it is pointless anyway. I mean, all that is ever said in global channels is "who is shooting in elektro/cherno", people arguing over pathetic things and going on about it for hours, breaking others immersion with their walls of text, and people bitching because someone killed them. That and it makes life a doddle for bandits while your telling your mate to meet you in stary, he sets up a sniper position and ruins your day.

*facepalm*

1. Today I talked to a random dude via sidechat, drove to him, helped him out etc.

2. Today I was flying a heli and wanted someone to join me. I fly near a person and CANT EVEN TALK TO HIM. 3 of 5 persons started shooting at heli asap. Had I sidechat, I could communicate.

You logic "I dont like it so we disable it to everyone" is brilliant !

p. much this

I don't understand the argument put forward that people don't want to "listen" to it, you're not listening to it - you're reading it.. and seriously if you're that ADHD that you can't keep your eyes of the chat go see a doctor. It doesn't affect your game anyway with it enabled but affects the many who like it when it's disabled.

Global should've never been removed, rather, a clientside option to turn it off for the ADHD/anti-social crowd implemented. Everyone wins.

I'll accept that using mic over global is annoying. If global ever does come Rocket should fix that.

Its not anti-social, id jus rather the bottom left of my screen not have constant flashing blue text.

*facepalm*

1. Today I talked to a random dude via sidechat, drove to him, helped him out etc.

2. Today I was flying a heli and wanted someone to join me. I fly near a person and CANT EVEN TALK TO HIM. 3 of 5 persons started shooting at heli asap. Had I sidechat, I could communicate.

You logic "I dont like it so we disable it to everyone" is brilliant !

My logic is that it shouldnt be there in the first place. What i think is irrelevant as im just a player like everyone else. In a real life similar situation you wouldnt be able to talk to everyone, or have them talk to you from miles away. If you team up use vent/ts/mumble. Side chat is not needed, and for the most part, not wanted either.

Edited by Delta Smoke 01
  • Like 2

I've played a few times on servers with side chat, and found the experiences much more enjoyable. It reminded me that the game isn't simply a murder simulator, and I found myself actually helping another person, when normally I would have avoided or killed them. I say let servers enable it if they wish.

• Like 2

Meh, just make it optional so people can switch it off. I'm pretty sure the majority would keep it on.

My logic is that it shouldnt be there in the first place. What i think is irrelevant as im just a player like everyone else. In a real life similar situation you wouldnt be able to talk to everyone, or have them talk to you from miles away. If you team up use vent/ts/mumble. Side chat is not needed, and for the most part, not wanted either.

Can you see there is something in your head that doesn't work properly?

Edited by federik21

The game is already boring to my buddy and I to the point that we don't really play unless our other buddies are playing, too.

Lack of side chat basically just makes it an endless run through wilderness in complete silence, especially on night servers. At least on day servers, usually there's enough population to actually meet someone else in Cherno or Elektro. I don't realy care if they're friendly or hostile, I just want to do something other than hearing the grass grow.

• Like 1

Let's turn Day Z into an autism simulator. Who needs to communicate with other people?

What's wrong with teamspeak or direct voice?

I do wish ACRE was part of DayZ. Why reinvent the wheel when acre does already everything for directional sound and radios?

• Like 1

Its not anti-social, id jus rather the bottom left of my screen not have constant flashing blue text.

Maybe have a way to disable or enable sidechat client side.

Edit: Either that or radios need to get in the game.

Edited by Hillbilly

The Side/Global channel bitching, annoying text etc can be solved. Make a timer between 10-20 min. If it were a radio-like transmission that only can be used evry 10-20 min

Yes Side Chat makes the game alot more interesting and would probably bring back some fun to the game.

I find I meet alot more friendlies on servers with side chat. Infact we got 5 random friendlies in the Elektro fire house at the same time, most of us were using voice chat just having a laugh about how rare the situation was. Oh, and we were all armed.

Another time I was crouched talking in side and I see in blue caps "WARGUNNER TURN AROUND BUT DONT SHOOT" I slowly turn around and holy crap there were two bush wookies behind me. We ended up jumping on a TS3 server and grouping up for a bit.

I find it entertaining on those long trips aswell, something to occupy me.

The immersion aspect is a fair call, although for me, been playing this game for long enough to know how the game and all the mechanics work. Loses the magic after that. So for me not a factor.

p. much this

I don't understand the argument put forward that people don't want to "listen" to it, you're not listening to it - you're reading it.. and seriously if you're that ADHD that you can't keep your eyes of the chat go see a doctor. It doesn't affect your game anyway with it enabled but affects the many who like it when it's disabled.

Global should've never been removed, rather, a clientside option to turn it off for the ADHD/anti-social crowd implemented. Everyone wins.

I'll accept that using mic over global is annoying. If global ever does come Rocket should fix that.

I fully support the idea of people being able to turn off Global if they don't want to have it filling up the bottom left of their screens. Or auto mute all non-grouped players, so that they don't get people shitting up their headphones with drivel.

That way people who enjoy talking to others over Global get to do so, and people who don't, don't!

• Like 1

Side Chat is kinda fun, when ur moving at north it is fun to watch other people warning about stuff in elektro. Also a lot more seemed to happen when side chat was on!

About 3rd person, I want it removed. Too op in some situations, feels like wallhack...

• Like 1

You won

What's wrong with teamspeak or direct voice?

whats wrong? 40m range ? Ts on the random server? How does it differ from side chat ?

Edited by Roboserg

I just don't understand why instead of removing this very interesting and fun function completely, why not give the players themselves the ability to turn it on or off. So it would be an individual choice.

This option would be MUCH more logical.

Edited by StOrD
  • Like 2

Servers can have side chat enabled. It destroys the point of feeling alone until you run into people though so im happy with it disabled. In my experience of DayZ since the mod began, iv come to the conclusion that it is pointless anyway. I mean, all that is ever said in global channels is "who is shooting in elektro/cherno", people arguing over pathetic things and going on about it for hours, breaking others immersion with their walls of text, and people bitching because someone killed them. That and it makes life a doddle for bandits while your telling your mate to meet you in stary, he sets up a sniper position and ruins your day.

It can also be bad for bandits.. after getting sniped in cherno or elektro you could call it out to everyone

Global chat is in complete friction with the essence of the game, there's no mystery or suspense when the entire town is having a chin wag in the corner of the screen, yes it's distracting and no i don't have ADHD. Have you ever tried to watch a TV program with subtitles on and not get sucked into reading the words instead of listening to them?

But just because I don't want Global back doesn't mean I think the game works fine as is, the introduction of radios would be much better and more in keeping with the theme and plus they can be turned off!

If you just want to play in an interactive chatroom, there are other options like World of Warcraft that will suit your needs.

I found side chat interested and enabled me to meet up with people or watch out for potential traps, yes you would sometimes get idiots posting but that was rare and I felt it added to the game, however I do agree that for some it breaks the immersion. I do agree that it should be you either start with a radio or you pick one up, you can then have an open channel to talk to all or some side channels so you could choose a channel to talk to others and lessen the risk of being caught out by bandits...

As to those who say " We dont want side channels, but we use teamspeak" well thats the same thing in the end but you use it with your friends, some of us like playing alone but meeting other survivors... let us have our method to talk without spoiling your game