Strategos (DayZ)

Should the Mod be abandoned

Fate of the Mod  

300 members have voted

1. 1. What should be done ?

• I only want the mod I wont even play standalone.
    • Develop both together.
    • Ditch the mod and focus on the standalone.
    • I wont be playing either.

There are a few issues in the mod form of Dayz which are breaking the gameplay experience fundamentally:

Primarily, duping, whether it is by tents or other means, though I personally believe the immortal self replicating tents are our biggest problem.

Rocket has stated that duping CANNOT be fixed in the mod due to the limitations of the Arma II engine.

This brings us to a situation where (as Alpha dictates) we are testing new features (ie humanity is visible again) BUT we are testing these features on top of a broken framework, a world where people have infinite gear.

How can you test the bandit skin when bandits don't have to mix with the survivors ? They die, run back to their tents and are ghillie suited up with NVG , range finders and GPS within 20-30 minutes tops. Go back to their bushes and continue as if nothing happened.

Also hacking is endemic now , destroying the game play experience for many people.

That means the alpha testing we are undertaking is no longer giving meaningful results.

That makes me wonder should the Mod be abandoned so that the dev team can focus all their efforts on the standalone using an engine without these issues. Rather than fighting with all the problems an Arma II mod faces?

Most of the arguments and crap posted on this forum is caused by currently unavoidable issues with the mod. I wonder if the mod is now causing more harm than good.

Vote and comment :)

Edited by Strategos
  • Like 6

Keep adding patches for a few more months so that it is playable, to some sort of standpoint then ditch the mod for the standalone

• Like 6

The mod will remain a useful testing ground for different ideas so I'd like to see it continue.

• Like 6

To me, the DayZmod should be some sort of trial for the standalone. Make it so that people are able to have a sort of glimpse of the game. And if they like it maybe buy the standalone.

havnt playin in 2 weeks. I refuse to be cannon fodder for hackers, ghosters and alt f4. Standalone cant come fast enough.

I believe that they'll use the mod as a guiena pig (sorry PETA) for major fixes and changes to see how game mechanics play out in action.

There is no need to complain on hackers, there's nothing the DayZ dev team can do about this.

"That means the alpha testing we are undertaking is no longer giving meaningful results."

Of course they are. Why do you think new features are implemented when others are being taken away?

Just becaue the alpha testers does not enjoy (I enjoy it, people who do not enjoy being an alpha tester to this mod should do something else.. duh?) does not mean the development stops.

About the bandit skin: What would you like happen to them?

Should they spawn with handcuffs and an orange jumpsuit?

Wouldn't think so.

If the developers have nothing to work on, or nothing to get inspired by, development is next to impossible to keep up (The War Z is an example of this).

Cheers.

• Like 1

"The mod will remain a useful testing ground for different ideas so I'd like to see it continue.

But Fraggle the fundemental problems that cannot be solved prevent meaningful testing.

Wouldnt you rather see an alpha test on a stable platform and test new ideas there?

Tiaitchsi you really are missing the point by a huge margin. I can't even be bothered correcting you because all the points I already raised still stand.

Edited by Strategos

If the developers have nothing to work on, or nothing to get inspired by, development is next to impossible to keep up (The War Z is an example of this).

Why is The WarZ an example? Just curious.

Imo, Once the stand alone is out the devs can bury the mod. If they really want to release the alpha of the game in September it shouldn't be too long.

I paid 15 quid for Arma II combined ops, as I only wanted to play dayz, knowing its awesome mod.

Now if the mod was cancelled I'd be pretty miffed off, even though I didn't pay for dayz, I only bought Arma for dayz, if it was taken away I'd be a bit annoyed. I am sure you can understand that?

I dont think the money thing is an issue here, you signed up to Dayz to be an alpha tester , and have a full game (ArmaII) for your money.

If they release the standlaone at a reasonable price point you've probably still paid less than a full retail game and been a fundamental part of the development.

Why waste time on a mod that cant be fixed ?

Why would you feel dumped they have got standalone! That has always been the goal of the mod. We have done our job!

• Like 3

Why is The WarZ an example? Just curious.

Imo, Once the stand alone is out the devs can bury the mod. If they really want to release the alpha of the game in September it shouldn't be too long.

Because the War Z dev. team promises alot of features and cool things that will be superior to DayZ. It's the first game their company will release as producers, and all they have given us is a hint on an open beta and some lousy "screenshots" (images made in 3rd-party software).

"The mod will remain a useful testing ground for different ideas so I'd like to see it continue.

But Fraggle the fundemental problems that cannot be solved prevent meaningful testing.

Wouldnt you rather see an alpha test on a stable platform and test new ideas there?

Tiaitchsi you really are missing the point by a huge margin. I can't even be bothered correcting you because all the points I already raised still stand.

Inevitably attention will slowly shift focus to testing the game on the new engine (which looks rather awesome BTW). Everybody here should be well aware that this phase of alpha testing would end eventually, it's always just been a matter of when. As Strategos said above me, the fact that a standalone is beinng produced means our work here is done (nearly)!

I want rocket to test crazy shit using the mod

(read: I want a legit G36)

Ideally I'd like him to fix artifacting for good and leave the mod alone mostly.

I just don't want anything to take away from the standalone, but no updates means losing interest and overall could lose players.

Abandon the mod completely. What's the point in wasting effort and time on it when you're making a stand-alone? You can't have your own game and another game that are doing the exact same thing, just that the other will do it a lot better.

Well if your efforts were combined on the standalone, when would we be able to play it?

The mod allows the developers to test and see what will happen with each update. Keep it, it'll help the standalone, not hurt it.

I dont think the money thing is an issue here, you signed up to Dayz to be an alpha tester , and have a full game (ArmaII) for your money.

If they release the standlaone at a reasonable price point you've probably still paid less than a full retail game and been a fundamental part of the development.

Why waste time on a mod that cant be fixed ?

Why would you feel dumped they have got standalone! That has always been the goal of the mod. We have done our job!

I get what ya mean dude, but I dont really like Arma II, its just not for me.

I want the standalone and I will be buying it, but I just don't want the mod to end early, its incredibly fun to play and with all the years I've spent gaming, this is the only game that gets the heart pumping!

Because the War Z dev. team promises alot of features and cool things that will be superior to DayZ. It's the first game their company will release as producers, and all they have given us is a hint on an open beta and some lousy "screenshots" (images made in 3rd-party software).

Ah yes, yes. I thought the screenshots looked a bit too promising.

I get what ya mean dude, but I dont really like Arma II, its just not for me.

I want the standalone and I will be buying it, but I just don't want the mod to end early, its incredibly fun to play and with all the years I've spent gaming, this is the only game that gets the heart pumping!

It won't end even if the devs decide to stop the support. Wait, it could end if the devs decide to kill the hive?! Well the stand alone is not far away. So don't worry your heart will get pumped heavily.

This post is monstrous, I love the way the mod is going and soon ending up as a standalone. The standalone will double the potential! :D

Game will convert from a mod to a standalone, doubt they'll support the mod any more then. But if they do that's kinda gunna slow their development process on the standalone because the Real Virtuality 4 engine will fix most of the problems, deving on the 3rd one will cause more. (I didn't make sense...)

Edited by Venzire

This post is monstrous, I love the way the mod is going and soon ending up as a standalone. The standalone will double the potential! :D

Game will convert from a mod to a standalone, doubt they'll support the mod any more then. But if they do that's kinda gunna slow their development process on the standalone because the Real Virtuality 4 engine will fix most of the problems, deving on the 3rd one will cause more. (I didn't make sense...)

not the RV4 alone will fix it. the problem is now that the mod is just an overlay to the existing game.

in standalone they can alter and work with the sourcecode. but i still agree RV4 looks to be an amazing improvment by itself.

Developing both takes up more time which could be spent polishing one or the other.

Id say get some the main bugs out of the way in the mod and ditch it. Leaving it playable whilst developing the standalone.