Sign in to follow this  
matt216@email.com

Lets remove even more control from the server admins!

So we made program that allows us to scan the RPT file that us server owners have control of and all it did was scan for log in and log out times. This has helped our server out more than you know as it shows us if people are duping. When we see someone log in and out numerous times in a short period of time its pretty good evidence that they are up to no good. Then of course we can compile evidence and proceed with the ban process if needed. But after our recent patch this is not possible any more. The RPT file will no longer register people loging in we still get the logout though but i cant confirm the log out log as it might still be old data in the RPT file. So my complaint is that at the current moment admins are the onlything stopping cheaters as we all know how good BE has been at it. So the new lack of log registered to the servers just restricts the admins even more. So on this note with our anti-cheat method being completely removed i am starting to believe that the Dayz team and BI have no intrest in stoping the ramped cheating atm. As more and more admins become wiser on all of this i expect the server counts to start dropping because if you guys cant control the cheating now what makes you think it will be any different in your standalone.

• Like 11

Yep :/

Our server caught people who would teleport around but they removed the player location, which would update every 5 minutes or so

it was very handy.

• Like 1

Yep :/

Our server caught people who would teleport around but they removed the player location, which would update every 5 minutes or so

it was very handy.

We might just revert back to .4 and wait till its removed from the hive then just shut the server down because now we have no way to detect a cheater unless we see it with our own eyes and keeping a admin on 24/7 is well impossible

We might just revert back to .4 and wait till its removed from the hive then just shut the server down because now we have no way to detect a cheater unless we see it with our own eyes and keeping a admin on 24/7 is well impossible

Not just keeping an admin on, but keeping an admin on in all places of the map at all times.

I think it's incredibly dumb that in a time when hackers are running rampant, they would DECREASE the amount of information logged. This mod is going down hill pretty fast.

• Like 2

Not just keeping an admin on, but keeping an admin on in all places of the map at all times.

I think it's incredibly dumb that in a time when hackers are running rampant, they would DECREASE the amount of information logged. This mod is going down hill pretty fast.

We're just frustrated, man. We're doing everything on our end here to facilitate less cheating, and instead we're getting railroaded by the development team.

And the lovely little ticker message from Battleye informing us that they've 'banned 12k valid hackers since June' doesn't really hold a lot of water with me. Would someone with some authority care to explain why the continued hamstringing of admins somehow supercedes the absolute bedlam of hackers that pervades servers across the board right now?

Some of us are actually TRYING to do the right thing here, and you're essentially handing the controls of the servers back to the hackers. Either explain your position and why you're doing what you're doing, or give us the tools to police our own servers. Your narcissistic version of anarchy that you've bestowed upon us is only serving to irritate both players and admins alike.

• Like 18

We're just frustrated, man. We're doing everything on our end here to facilitate less cheating, and instead we're getting railroaded by the development team.

And the lovely little ticker message from Battleye informing us that they've 'banned 12k valid hackers since June' doesn't really hold a lot of water with me. Would someone with some authority care to explain why the continued hamstringing of admins somehow supercedes the absolute bedlam of hackers that pervades servers across the board right now?

Some of us are actually TRYING to do the right thing here, and you're essentially handing the controls of the servers back to the hackers. Either explain your position and why you're doing what you're doing, or give us the tools to police our own servers. Your narcissistic version of anarchy that you've bestowed upon us is only serving to irritate both players and admins alike.

well put!

Couldn't have said it better myself. You sir have my beans.

You kidding, rocket has made it clear that his priority is protecting the players from the Server Admins, as they are the ones that do the real damage in this community. I don't think I've read one post where he acknowledges the hacking problem, let alone a post that he's going to fix it.

And in a game where there is shit-for-tools (log files, control panels, engine/battleye controls, etc) to assist in the identification and removal of hackers, he reduces the amount of data being collected because "ADMIN ABUSE, ADMIN ABUSE, ALL ADMINS ARE BAD, SCARY MAKE THEM GO AWAY".

• Like 1

You kidding, rocket has made it clear that his priority is protecting the players from the Server Admins, as they are the ones that do the real damage in this community. I don't think I've read one post where he acknowledges the hacking problem, let alone a post that he's going to fix it.

And in a game where there is shit-for-tools (log files, control panels, engine/battleye controls, etc) to assist in the identification and removal of hackers, he reduces the amount of data being collected because "ADMIN ABUSE, ADMIN ABUSE, ALL ADMINS ARE BAD, SCARY MAKE THEM GO AWAY".

Its getting to the point where maybe rocket should get with BI to just set up servers on their own let them deal with all the crap instead of all of us that are paying for him to test his mod. Last time i checked we pay so you guys can play and test.

• Like 3

In all actuality, I understand the paranoia that goes with bad admins abusing their powers unfairly. It sucks, and people shouldn't have to deal with admins abusing players so they can benefit.

But this knee jerk reaction in the other direction is way more damaging than allowing admins to 'run amok'. Instead of having - let's say 50% - of servers with bad or corrupt admins, you now have 100% of servers that are essentially powerless to stop hackers from attacking them at will - nevermind the fact that now it's essentially impossible for us to catch them after the fact.

Does giving the admins tools create an enviroment where abuse could happen? Yes.

Will all admins abuse that right? No.

So to me it's a no brainer. Give admins more power, at least in the interim period until you get things tightened up. If people feel abused on certain servers, they can report it using the same method they always have - the forums. At least in that scenario, some servers will be able to protect their people from continued, unabated harassment from script kiddies and their ilk. Otherwise, we're in the situation where we are now - where every server is essentially a free for all for hackers.

• Like 2

Duping isn't a bannable thing, so what's the big deal?

Admins don't need more power, there's already enough 12 year olds abusing administrative powers.

Edited by TheDesigner

Admins don't need more power, there's already enough 12 year olds abusing administrative powers.

Do you even know what admins can do. I promise you that there are more hackers/script kiddies than there are admins abusing the servers. A admin can kick/ban restart/stop a server thats it we dont have magical powers to spawn items or teleport or anything like that. O yeah i can set the difficulty level on the server too, I cant even change the time of the server.

While you're absolutely entitled to your opinion, please do a little research before just throwing something out there, please. We're not advocating for the ability to spawn tanks, drop cows from the sky, or the ability to teleport you at will to wherever we wish - hackers already can do all of these things.

As of right now, what we're asking for is the ability to track people who hack. Duping - while not exactly a hack - is an exploit of the game system. But taking it a step further, we were able to see people teleporting, and more importantly - individuals who were abusing other players on the server via scripts.

All of this has been taken from us. All of it. We are now completely, 100% relient on Battleye to catch scripters/hackers - and I think we all know how well this is going.

So yes, I agree with you that giving admins increased power will probably make the '12 year old' asshole admins very happy because they can possibly twist these newfound powers to abuse their populace. But don't you think that having SOME servers that are corrupt is better than ALL servers being hacked nonstop?

• Like 2

Bad admins are a short term problem anyway, their servers empty and remain empty. It's a non issue that's been made into a problem that has self regulated for nearly a decade. Server admins have been branded as scum by the dev mod / mod team publicly whilst they expect us to continue to support them.

1. Cheating is dev / mod condoned

2. Public servers will not be available tupon full release, it will follow the BF model so they don't really care about the current batch.

• Like 2

Not all Admins are bad. Many of them cheat yes but not all of them do. Some people on numerous times have told me to shutdown the server because their camp was destroyed by a hacker or some other bullshit like that.

I've used some of these admin tools to ban people with hacked in weapons, I can see them spawning them in and using the items in them, the creator of DayZ Radar should make it display ammo boxes on the map of all kinds and show who and what created it. But not the ones on Heli crash sites that could be abused.

Edited by Venzire

I wonder when the next step will come: hands off from the server, just pay! :lol:

Oh god no!

In all actuality, I understand the paranoia that goes with bad admins abusing their powers unfairly. It sucks, and people shouldn't have to deal with admins abusing players so they can benefit.

Really? You do?

1. Bad admins use their admin powers to abuse the game.

2. Remove admin powers

3. Bad admins download cheats everyone else uses, abuses game.

4. Game is still abused.

5. Good admins have no powers left to police their servers.

• Like 3

So yes, I agree with you that giving admins increased power will probably make the '12 year old' asshole admins very happy because they can possibly twist these newfound powers to abuse their populace. But don't you think that having SOME servers that are corrupt is better than ALL servers being hacked nonstop?

CHEATERS CAN BE ADMINS!

Is that that hard to understand?

Regardless of all our different views on this admins need some ability to police. You can say we are all bad or some of us or what ever but when all we can do is pay and allow our server to die because we cant ban or kick a person now because we cant get that hard evidence we need without them rage posting admin abuse and contacting our host and dayz requesting a black list. This is getting out of hand and I would like a Dev or Rocket to address these issues. Or let us have our RPT reporting back.

• Like 1

CHEATERS CAN BE ADMINS!

Is that that hard to understand?

Please, re-read my entire post before taking certain parts out of context, man. Stay on topic!

Of COURSE admins can use scripting cheats just like a regular user. That's not in dispute here - shitty admins will be shitty admins regardless of what tools they have at their disposal. The problem here is that GOOD admins are now left powerless to defend their servers against the ongoing onslaught of hackers. Battleye hasn't done anything to show us that they're going to actually remedy the problem - instead their fantastic software resulted in a multitude of false positives and many people got GUID banned for over a week before a week before they realized they'd screwed up.

My question to Battleye is this: Why is this only NOW receiving the attention from your organization that it deserves? Why did it take DayZ to get to this point? Didn't you realize you had MAJOR issues with your anti-cheat engine prior to this?

Furthermore, if the holes can't be patched - fine. Give us, the admins, the ability to track these individuals so we can police our own servers and try to keep our own streets clean. Even if 50% of the servers are run by corrupt, asshat admins - it's better than having 100% of the servers under siege by these hackers 24/7.

Edited by Cerven
  • Like 2

Someone said that admins can't see players locations anymore, could that possible be because they are changing how server andclient handle that information/packages?

There are a few programs/scripts out there that either read the incoming packages or directly from memory information like where players are located, where items and objects are (e.g. tents, vehicles, etc.).

Just because you are affected by patches does not mean that you are the cause/target.

Also, for those of you that don't bother reading the BI forums, they said this with the latest patch:

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

mirror: http://www.gamefront...Build_95883_zip

+ surprise for admins' date=' TBA[/size']

note: the default server filters will be further improved in future

BattlEye support status: ... SUPPORTED ...

source: http://forums.bistud...(1-62-MP-build)

Edited by zq7

Someone said that admins can't see players locations anymore, could that possible be because they are changing how server andclient handle that information/packages?

There are a few programs/scripts out there that either read the incoming packages or directly from memory information like where players are located, where items and objects are (e.g. tents, vehicles, etc.).

Just because you are affected by patches does not mean that you are the cause/target.

Also, for those of you that don't bother reading the BI forums, they said this with the latest patch:

source: http://forums.bistud...(1-62-MP-build)

This wasnt a fix that went with a arma update this only start when we updated to .5 now if im wrong then please some one let me know